cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Much Awaited Client Review Begins YEYYY!

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 12

I'm just posting this here because I know how sooo many of us (freelancers) wants oDesk to take steps in weeding out bad clients. Garnor posted in another thread:

Garnor says "Additionally, regarding the activities we're undertaking towards low-performing clients. We've already initiated an email campaign advising poor performers of the reviews (similar to the warning emails some freelancers have received as of late). Following that, if no improvements are made, we will be taking action on these client accounts including suspending/expiring of accounts where warranted. This is one of the programs we've kicked off so far and we'll be expanding this to improve quality across the board."

Whether we see clients posting about being suspended or being investigated or not, just knowing that the platform is indeed taking steps to clean itself of bad clients is good news.

So far, all of the clients who have duped me in the past and tried to get free work are still here so maybe, just maybe, justice will be dealt to them soon.

This is why IT IS VERY IMPORTANT for freelancers to report clients who try to get free work, extort feedback, or is abusive. The platform will only investigate bad clients if they get complaints from us so please, help out by letting the site know which client asked to pay you outside the site, wanted you to work without a contract, didn't pay but used your work etc etc. Just make sure you got clear evidence and be as factual as you can when reporting bad clients Smiley Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
2 of 12

Let me be the first...Kudos for Dianne! And, Garnor too! He will probably be here later Smiley LOL I was just about to cease visiting oDesk all together since all of my work is off oDesk these days (Work acquired without any relation to oDesk). Maybe things on oDesk will turn around for the best; like it was back in the "golden years" on oDesk. Why do did I like oDesk? Because they do did the bulk of my record keeping!

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 12
Interesting. I recently received an email saying a paused contract of mine has been suspended due to a payment problem with the client. I haven't done any work for this client in almost a year. I've been paid for all my work. I'm the only person who this client ever hired on oDesk.

My guess is that the client's credit card expired and he never told oDesk. Maybe he doesn't even remember that he has a contract open here. I suppose this is oDesk cleaning up.
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
4 of 12

Contract being suspended(as mentioned by Marcia) had been there since last year. It is not a new thing. I had one client who kept my project opened for more than an year and at the same time kept my final payment pending making excuses. But I can see that even after 2-3 contract suspensions, he is still active on odesk. Other two team members had same issue with him. At the end I had to close the contract myself. So this can not be considered as a clean up act. Client was clever in his ways as he kept making payments as long he had more work for us. Once done, he will have his last couple of weeks and sometimes whole month(as long as we allow) free of charge.  

(Coming back to the topic)

However still hopeful from Garnor's reply. I hope they take strict actions against scammers and bad users(Clients or Contractors). Because if left unchecked with just warnings, they only get better at scamming and find new loopholes to exploit.

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 12

Aseem, I have had no problems with this client paying me.  It was an hourly job and I had an excellent relationship with the client. I received payment every week while I was working on the job, as is usual with hourly jobs. The work just stopped because there was nothing more to do.

It could just be a coincidence, but it's interesting,  as while the client has had no interaction at all with oDesk for almost a year, oDesk is suddenly paying attention to his account. I am the only freelancer he has ever used on oDesk, according to his history, so he could not have had any problems with other freelancers. Seems like it could be a clean-up to me. As I said, my guess is that the client's credit card expired sometime this year and oDesk has just noticed it.

Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
6 of 12

Hi Marcia. 

Even I never launched any complaint about my client other than telling the truth at time of closing the contract. The contract was suspended due to some other payment issues(I do not remember the message odesk sent).

The point I wanted to make was that this action is not new and had been happening for a while now. I experienced it last year. And I think it has more to do with client's payment verification instead of his behaviour and honesty with freelancers. I still have not seen odesk taking an action against a client's account as it had been taking against some contractors. So I will wait before appalauding odesk for its efforts. 

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
7 of 12

Thanks Dianne, and I couldn't agree more. We encourage all users to report activity that violates our policies. These honest reports help us collect some of the signals that we use to identify low performers.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 12

I'll believe it when I see it, and once action against violators is taken in a timely manner. One can only hope that lessons were learned from the freelancer review and that the client review will be conducted more professionally.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
9 of 12

So far, the bad clients still here, very much active and still posting jobs asking for free work.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 12

Hi Dianne,

I am sorry you keep encountering problematic clients. oDesk Team will keep working hard to identify and take appropriate actions against client accounts that violate the Policies or have low performance. In the end of last year alerts had been sent to low performing clients. If there is no improvement, they may face suspension.

Thank you for your understanding!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS