cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Monis A Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
91 of 107

I am still top-rated but fingers crossed.

I know the feeling and whats worse is that when you see new freelancers with 5 jobs labeled as Top rated and here we are with more than 50 jobs and a good track record and no top rated label.

On the client side this affects us as the Top rated badge stands out more so the people with top rated badge get hired more and recommended more.

Also, some new clients trust the badges and don't have the time to browse through all the applicants, so they simply invite what seems like the best choice "TOP RATED" freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
92 of 107

Frustration on my part comes from old Elance jobs being closed without feedback, which negatively affects my JSS. In my case, clients closed out ongoing Elance Enterprise jobs and opened new Upwork ones. The jobs essentially continued without interruption, we just transferred to the new platform (a requirement for Enterprise clients). Since the jobs are very much ongoing and haven't changed other than the platform they're on, there was no feedback left on the Elance versions because the work is not completed. However, since they're old Elance jobs they were recorded as complete with no feedback left.

Luckily, I recently completed a very small, fixed price job that apparently bumped me up into top rated because the client left feedback quickly. Without that job's feedback, despite having almost 1,500 hours, 2 ongoing Enterprise jobs, and only positive feedback I still wasn't top-rated. The algorithm seems skewed for freelancers like me. The one-size-fits-all approach always leaves some out. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
93 of 107

Honestly, the biggest issue I have with the JSS system is... Why all the secrecy?

Mods say it's so that it's not abused and manipulated. But how are we going to abuse and manipulate it? By giving the clients a better experience? Gee, that sounds so bad.

Then again, I have yet to drop below 100% JSS (fingers crossed, knock on wood, all that junk), but still... I don't see how discussing the algorithm so that other freelancers who haven't been as lucky can POSSIBLY be bad, for ANYTHING.

With all the algorithms in place, aside from the completely ridiculous idea of people giving themselves fake jobs and essentially paying Upwork to fake things (which honestly should result in an account termination ANYWAY, if it's discovered) ... Disclosing the details of what others may need to do to achieve a higher JSS seems like it would benefit literally EVERYONE. Except for whoever came up with the dumb idea that it can't be disclosed. With all due respect, and many apologies if you guys put it to a vote and that was the winning choice, but seriously, it's dumb.

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
mohid t Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
94 of 107

Hello Everyone,
                               I am working on this platform from last two years and i know how much effort i had done to made my self on the road of top rated freelancers. Recently i came up with the issue with this job success policy i noticed there are other freelancers as well who are facing the same issue regarding their job success so i decided to do some research on it and decide to case my file over it to check and decide by yourself what actually is going on and why freelancers are moaning about it. Please read the file attached with this message and read my details and instructions carefully you will find out what exactly the issue is and where upwork is lacking with their policy. I really appriciate Upwork concern about their thoughts on the tranceperancy of the calculation of  job success score but when it comes up a complete pack of blunder in the policy it becomes a serious issue either job success caculation parameters are working correctly or not. The main damage will ended up in a great loss when it comes with a policy issue. I know there are whole bunch of teams in upwork company who are creating policies and spending their time and effort on it i really appreciate it but there is some cases comes which we dont know about it dosent mean its a fault of their team we all are humans so we cant merge the whole sceniarios in a single time, policies needed changes on time to time basis. In my case i am encountered with the same issue i got all 5 stars feedback scored in my all jobs except of two jobs which are 4.5 and 4.2 those feedbacks are private so i was really shocked to see when i saw my job success score goes down to 88% whereas my overall rating is showing 4.97, Its made me feel so bad that i worked so hard to get myself on the top and even i had done nothing wrong still my job success is going down and my top rated bade is removed. I decided to give some time and find out where upwork is lacking with its policy and rules. after spending 3 weeks i submerge my whole case into a file by finding out when it comes up with a public feedback, upwork point of view in making rules is neutral to both freelancers and clients by keeping and noticing in mind that we all are humans and both can be wrong in providing feedback so they provide the facilitation to the freelancers that if they think client is unfair in giving feedback so he or she can communicate with the client to change it even when the feedback is given on the other hand if client still wont listen and doing unfair with the freelancer upwork allows freelancers to dispute client over it. similar in case of clients if clients feels that freelnacer is unfair with the feedback which is given in return he or she can dispute the freelnacer over it. Now come back on the Private feedbacks upwork thoughts throughoutly change in to a new sense by coming up with the reason that client can be hasitated to say something in remarks publicly which he can say freely in private. So they completely forget on this that client can also be wrong and unfair so judging and marking freelancers on their private remarks is seriously unfair. Now my question is to upwork team for whome these feedbacks are for? isnt it for the other clients? to check the suitable freelnacers for their job? now tell me how other clients will get to know what past performance freelancer have if the feedback remarks are not showing on his profile instead of it just stars are displaying? I wanted to ask you all readers please question it to yourself are you here working for upwork or clients? so why upwork is indulging them into marking freelancers over private feedback? Feedbacks are for the clients to see and check the best suitable freelancer for their job not for the upwork for keeping it in private, it is baseless to keep private feedbacks let it be public and be fare with both freelancers and clients. Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Mohid Tahir
EXPERIENCED DESIGNER AND DEVELOPER
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
95 of 107

@mohid t wrote:

Hello Everyone,
                               I am working on this platform from last two years and i know how much effort i had done to made my self on the road of top rated freelancers. Recently i came up with the issue with this job success policy i noticed there are other freelancers as well who are facing the same issue regarding their job success so i decided to do some research on it and decide to case my file over it to check and decide by yourself what actually is going on and why freelancers are moaning about it. Please read the file attached with this message and read my details and instructions carefully you will find out what exactly the issue is and where upwork is lacking with their policy. I really appriciate Upwork concern about their thoughts on the tranceperancy of the calculation of  job success score but when it comes up a complete pack of blunder in the policy it becomes a serious issue either job success caculation parameters are working correctly or not. The main damage will ended up in a great loss when it comes with a policy issue. I know there are whole bunch of teams in upwork company who are creating policies and spending their time and effort on it i really appreciate it but there is some cases comes which we dont know about it dosent mean its a fault of their team we all are humans so we cant merge the whole sceniarios in a single time, policies needed changes on time to time basis. In my case i am encountered with the same issue i got all 5 stars feedback scored in my all jobs except of two jobs which are 4.5 and 4.2 those feedbacks are private so i was really shocked to see when i saw my job success score goes down to 88% whereas my overall rating is showing 4.97, Its made me feel so bad that i worked so hard to get myself on the top and even i had done nothing wrong still my job success is going down and my top rated bade is removed. I decided to give some time and find out where upwork is lacking with its policy and rules. after spending 3 weeks i submerge my whole case into a file by finding out when it comes up with a public feedback, upwork point of view in making rules is neutral to both freelancers and clients by keeping and noticing in mind that we all are humans and both can be wrong in providing feedback so they provide the facilitation to the freelancers that if they think client is unfair in giving feedback so he or she can communicate with the client to change it even when the feedback is given on the other hand if client still wont listen and doing unfair with the freelancer upwork allows freelancers to dispute client over it. similar in case of clients if clients feels that freelnacer is unfair with the feedback which is given in return he or she can dispute the freelnacer over it. Now come back on the Private feedbacks upwork thoughts throughoutly change in to a new sense by coming up with the reason that client can be hasitated to say something in remarks publicly which he can say freely in private. So they completely forget on this that client can also be wrong and unfair so judging and marking freelancers on their private remarks is seriously unfair. Now my question is to upwork team for whome these feedbacks are for? isnt it for the other clients? to check the suitable freelnacers for their job? now tell me how other clients will get to know what past performance freelancer have if the feedback remarks are not showing on his profile instead of it just stars are displaying? I wanted to ask you all readers please question it to yourself are you here working for upwork or clients? so why upwork is indulging them into marking freelancers over private feedback? Feedbacks are for the clients to see and check the best suitable freelancer for their job not for the upwork for keeping it in private, it is baseless to keep private feedbacks let it be public and be fare with both freelancers and clients. Thank you

Your profile is giving an error which usually means it's suspended. 

Highlighted
96 of 107

My account is suspended but how and for what? i am not seeing any noticefication on my account that i am suspended? or i am still able to use it.. can you please check if there is some kind of an error?

Mohid Tahir
Highlighted
Community Guru
97 of 107

They send you an email to tell you what to do.

Highlighted
98 of 107

I had checked and contacted with upwork they informed me my account is neither suspended and nor having any limitations. If you have any particular views regarding my post please share it. Thank you

Mohid Tahir
Highlighted
Community Guru
99 of 107

Oh weird. OK it shows now. You're good!

Highlighted
Tanmoy B Member Since: Jul 28, 2016
100 of 107

This is very bad. My success rate droping day by day. I had 100% even few months ago. After that no bad feedback but it droped to 87% now. What the hell is going on? The score calculation is not avilable to anybody. I am here for last 7 years from odesk. New policy just detroyed everything. If this thing continue upwork may have to work with only their poor rating system. Now a days it is seen that almost all clients asking for over 90% and rasing talent. Don't know how even I can get job and raise my sucess rate in this situation. If upwork things this is good then let me tell you people that big NO.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS