Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
11 of 107

I agree with you, but the fact of the matter is, this issue has been raised multiple times and Upwork has already made it well known that they will not make that information available to us. No sense dwelling over it over and over again when nothing's going to change and the JS will remain. Just gotta suck it up and deal with it.

P.S. I didn't mean you, specifically, were moaning and groaning. I suppose I'm just finally at a point now where I'm tired of hearing the same ole arguments on the forum when it's been made public that we'll never get the information that we want. We just gotta put our big boy/girl pants on and deal with it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad Arslan R Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
12 of 107

Absolutely agree with you. However, I think upwork's top management is quite flexible and open to idea. I am sure one day they will revisit job success policy! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Jonathan O Member Since: Dec 24, 2015
13 of 107

It is not my mentality to give up so easily and **edited for Community Guidelines** when someone was not able to give me valid arguments based on common sense, because someone told you you have to accept it like it is.

What's about the proposition made in another thread posted by a guy called Daniel C. for a couple of years in the forum:

"Something like this would be great...

https://www.uservoice.com/product/product-management/

Basically, just allow user submissions and each user gets a limited number of credits to vote on the most important features.  At least it would be clear what is user requested with support and what is not.

Right now, stuff changes and it's always a surprise and it causes problems.  It would be nice to prepare for upcoming changes...  Is there anything like this already?"

This could be a great tool for creating more transparency and trust and speak about facts in a consolidated manner and not on 1000 isolated threads (for example we would exactly see how many freelancers are dissatisfied with the JSS caculation and lack of transparency, what they propose to improve it, etc... If there is only a minority requesting this, then no problem, I can accept it and will wait until this will get a top concern of every freelancer. But if this tool shows that this is concern number one of every freelancer, then Upwork will have to consider it, gather feedback and develop a plan to improve it).

Please do not give up so easily!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
14 of 107

@Jonathan O wrote:

It is not my mentality to give up so easily and **edited for Community Guidelines** when someone was not able to give me valid arguments based on common sense, because someone told you you have to accept it like it is.

What's about the proposition made in another thread posted by a guy called Daniel C. for a couple of years in the forum:

Basically, just allow user submissions and each user gets a limited number of credits to vote on the most important features.  At least it would be clear what is user requested with support and what is not.

Right now, stuff changes and it's always a surprise and it causes problems.  It would be nice to prepare for upcoming changes...  Is there anything like this already?"

This could be a great tool for creating more transparency and trust and speak about facts in a consolidated manner and not on 1000 isolated threads (for example we would exactly see how many freelancers are dissatisfied with the JSS caculation and lack of transparency, what they propose to improve it, etc... If there is only a minority requesting this, then no problem, I can accept it and will wait until this will get a top concern of every freelancer. But if this tool shows that this is concern number one of every freelancer, then Upwork will have to consider it, gather feedback and develop a plan to improve it).

Please do not give up so easily!

You're right. I have given up. Why? Because this issue has been raised multiple times since the JS has been implemented (for 3-4 months or so?), and nothing is getting done yet. They've made it well-known that the JS score will remain, that they have no intentions of removing it or changing it or making the formula public. 

It's like getting a lawmaker to change a newly signed law - it won't happen within the first few months, let alone the first year. Sure, we could continue to raise the issue, but the likelihood of those actions bearing any fruit are minimal right now. Like in my example, the best we can do is make due with what we have - until a change can or will be made.

There are literally dozens of posts on this Community like this - many raising the same concerns that were raised here - and then some - and many offering suggestions on how to improve the algorithm or why it's not an accurate evaluation of our overall customer service. In the last three or four months, with that number of similar posts and no changes, yes, I tend to give up.

I have better things to place my "hope" into. Would I like to see certain aspects of the JS improved? Of course! Personally, I think it makes it harder for new freelancers to get established on this platform - at a decent, market-approved rate. But I'm not going to open a new thread to rehash the same conversations that have been discussed multiple times. That does nothing but flood the forum and irritate the other readers.

I'd almost bet that CS tickets being raised top the charts on this issue over others. I'd also imagine that there's probably some programmers that are well qualified to produce a more suitable algorithm have made suggestions and recommendations on how to improve the system.

Has anything changed? No, not really. Has the formula been provided? Nope. Why waste my breath talking to a wall? (by saying this, I do not mean anyone here, it's simply how I feel when topics like these are discussed, but no action is being taken when we raise such concerns)

Anyway, you all know my thoughts on this, so I won't comment about it anymore. I'll just continue to conduct business as I have since the JS was implemented and go from there.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
15 of 107

@Dawn L wrote:
[…]
I'd also imagine that there's probably some programmers that are well qualified to produce a more suitable algorithm have made suggestions and recommendations on how to improve the system. […]

In my opinion, programmers have nothing to do with JSS. The algorithm is just the final product of research that has been (and still is) carried out. After so many years, Upwork has gathered huge amounts of data and is, ultimately, the delight of every researcher working on the field of online labor markets.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
16 of 107

@Jonathan O wrote:

Elance had this Uservoice service implemented. Name was suggestion box. It was completely useless since they didn't even monitor it. 

Some suggestions were marked as being under consideration for years and years. It was a joke and everybody knew it.

Upwork/Elance management never cared about whatever their customers - that's us and the clients - had to say. They have their own vision, their own goals and those don't always overlap ours.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad Arslan R Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
17 of 107

I  absolutely agree with you. I believe upwork's management should realise the impportance of opinion of freelancers. At the end of they day, these freelancers make upwork great. Client's use upwork because they get quality services. Therefore, upwork must ensure complete transparency when it comes to job success rate of freelancers. I do not know any freelancer who completely understands this job success rate. 

What can we freelancers do? Should we sign some petition? Lets make this conversation constructive. Please suggest possible ways forward so that we can make our voice heard. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Magreth C Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
18 of 107

Hi Sardar

You will have to wait until you complete 6 months from my experience.

Regards,

Maggie

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
19 of 107

I am facing the same problems, why Upwork doesn't fix this problem? 

My job rate was 100% now it is 74% why? Because there are employers that don't give feedback, or are no longer on the platform, so UPWORK if one of the staffs read this message, PLEASE evaluate our job success only in JOBS WHERE EMPLOYERS HAVE GIVEN FEEDBACK. for example this one:

• Mar 2015 - Jul 2015

No feedback given

283 hours
    $12.05 / hr
    $3,415.00 earned

Look how much money I got, I did a great job, but they haven't given any feedback and others are not even on the platform, there are many employers that use job success rate to search for qualified freelancers, IN OTHER WORDS, without maybe not with intention. You are screwing us. So if you really care about us qualified and serious workers, please check this problem.  

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 107

Hi Guilherme,

A few jobs without feedback will not affect Job Success score negatively. In your case I doubt jobs without feedback influence your current score as all of them would be excluded from your 6-month window. Note however, there are other factors that are included in Job Success score, such as client's public and private feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS