cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
41 of 107

Welcome to the club my friend :/ I am facing the same problem. I have 10 jobs done, and 3 are without any feedback and I am now with 74% Job success, however I did a great job, one client has paid me over 3K but hasn't left feedback. UPWORK come on, DO SOMETHING! we also give you money through our work and our paid membership, can't administration, please review that? I am sure that we would have better chances to get jobs. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Muhammad Arslan R Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
42 of 107

I have not seen any single freelancer happy with job success! We should sign some petition. 

Highlighted
Monis A Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
43 of 107

@Muhammad, i don't think it will make any difference as the newbies and most of the people will not support.

Simply because newbies are the ones that are top rated as i see.

Highlighted
44 of 107

HI Guilherme

10 jobs done sounds really good but 74% sounds awful.

Just looking at the jobs trend, almost all the clients want someone with more than 90% job success, i just gave an interview where my client asked why my score is 89% and not 90 or 100 and believe me it was not easy to explain all that and i don't think they will hire me Smiley Sad simply because of the job success score.

Fact: Most of the clients don't have time to browse through all of the feedbacks they just look at the skill set and the scores.

I would say it will be really hard i mean super hard for you to get another client unless you get good feedbacks and raise your score to aleast 85%.

Good luck!! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
45 of 107

No. There IS life after a sharp job success drop. Mine went from 100 to 79 in a MONTH due to things I had absolutely no control over! I stopped focussing on the JS score, and it climbed steadily again. It just takes one client who for some reason unknown to you makes negative private comments or rates you badly privately. 

Highlighted
46 of 107

@Irene: Hi, when did your job success went down, i mean in which month ?

I would say (just guessing) your profile looks perfect with few blanks (no feedback job) and all of them are five star good reviews, i don't see any reason it should go down- Its just "PERFECT". Smiley Happy

Anyways, relating to the situation, how do we work up from 80-100 again if we don't get any new clients just because of the jobs success score. Smiley Sad

Also, can you please share your opinion if its right for newbies to gain top-rated status within a few months , i mean it seems all the time we took to create that repo doesn't even makes sense now.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
47 of 107

re: "I have not seen any single freelancer happy with job success! We should sign some petition."

Two points:

I am not seeing many complaints about Job Success Score coming from contractors with high scores and subsequent high hiring rate. I've seen some complaints from that quarter, but not many. I believe there are large numbers of contractors who are quite pleased with the Job Success Score and the impact it has had on their Upwork business.

Second, freelancer happiness with the Job Success Score is largely irrelevant to Upwork, because this was never created as a service for freelancers. Job Success Score was always intended as a service for Upwork's paying target customers: the clients. Upwork was always clear about this. JSS is meant to enhance the client experience and it is meant to increase Upwork profitability.

So even if 100% of freelancers said they did not like Job Success Score, such a number would be secondary to two factors:

- whether Upwork clients like it

- whether Upwork makes more money using it versus not using it

I sincerely believe that Upwork has no ideological devotion to Job Success Score that would compel it to continue using it even if doing so caused it to lose money. I believe that it regards the use of Job Success Score as a revenue-enhancing move: its customers are more satisfied with Upwork as a result, and more likely to hire contractors as a result, and thus Upwork makes more money as a result.

That is my theory.

Personally, I have earned a lot more money and have had even higher job invitation rates since the introduction of Job Success Score, so it is difficult for me to complain from a personal perspective, although I understand and can sympathize with the contractors who are frustrated with it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
48 of 107

@Irene: Hi, when did your job success went down, i mean in which month ?

If memory serves  me correctly, it was somewhere around the middle of last year.

I would say (just guessing) your profile looks perfect with few blanks (no feedback job) and all of them are five star good reviews, i don't see any reason it should go down- Its just "PERFECT". Smiley Happy

The blanks (no feedback) are where clients went 'poof' and I ended up closing contracts (Upwork went through a period where they closed a ton of them). As for perfect, my profile is never static...I keep changing it as I evolve as a freelancer and in the services I offer.

Anyways, relating to the situation, how do we work up from 80-100 again if we don't get any new clients just because of the jobs success score. Smiley Sad

I got a few great clients for whom I did some small, quick jobs which exceeded their expectations.

Also, can you please share your opinion if its right for newbies to gain top-rated status within a few months , i mean it seems all the time we took to create that repo doesn't even makes sense now.

I cannot really comment on this as I had been on Upwork for quite some time before this system was implemented. However, if I were a newbie I would work at getting a good track record with clients, regardless of JS....I do not work for the JS score, but to earn money - and I do my utmost best with each contract. If a client were to give me negative feedback, whether privately or publicly, it would not be because I did not try. If I were a newbie who subscribed to what I have just said, I see no reason why I could not have a high JS. 

Highlighted
49 of 107

@Irene:

I hear you : i have been continuously evolving too Smiley Happy

If I were a newbie who subscribed to what I have just said, I see no reason why I could not have a high JS

Yes, a newbie with more than 50 jobs and a good rating deserves to be rated as top rated.

But i don't think its fair to put a newbie in the same category as the veterans.(just my opinion)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
50 of 107

@Monis A wrote:

@Irene:

I hear you : i have been continuously evolving too Smiley Happy

If I were a newbie who subscribed to what I have just said, I see no reason why I could not have a high JS

Yes, a newbie with more than 50 jobs and a good rating deserves to be rated as top rated.

But i don't think its fair to put a newbie in the same category as the veterans.(just my opinion)

Don't forget, the top rated badge isn't ONLY based on the JS score - you also need to make $1,000. So, you can have even 100% JSS but if you haven't made at least $1,000 in 12-months, have had no policy violations, etc... then you won't get that shiny top rated badge.

Personally, I could care less about the top rated badge. Although, I don't agree with Preston when he says that the freelancers with higher scores aren't complaining (not sure what threads you're reading Preston, but I've seen several 80-90+ JSS contractors complaining about the JS scores since it's been publicly released - some of us have just wised up and stopped complaining to deaf ears). I do worry about my JSS, but earning the top rated badge doesn't sit high on my priority list. What matters to me is that my clients are happy with my work. If they are happy, chances are, they'll rate me well. When I see my JS drop, I instantly try figuring out why - its just how I am. I don't worry as much about the top rated status because, honestly, I've been getting more clients off-site lately than I have through Upwork, therefore, it could take me months - if ever - to get that badge. Besides... does that badge really matter much? I don't think so. What does it get you? An exclusive membership to the top rated forum? Whoohoo - yeah, not for me. If I want to mingle with other contractors and clients, I don't want there to be any exclusions. What else? More job invitations? I've been turning down invitations on the regular lately because they don't fit my skills, interest, or the client is asking for too much work for too little pay. Sure, I get some decent invitations too, but over the last two weeks getting the decent invitations that meet my skill level, fit the description of the type of work that I normally do, and have an appropriate budget attached is like finding a needle in the haystack sometimes.

Yeah, I don't care about being top rated. If it happens, awesome. If not, I won't lose any sleep. All I care about is providing my clients with the best quality I possibly can and exceeding their expectations. Upwork can keep the silly badges. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS