Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
51 of 107

re: "I don't agree with Preston when he says that the freelancers with higher scores aren't complaining"

You are citing the post in which I said contractors with high scores and high hire rates ARE complaining about the Job Success Score.

I said they complain less.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
52 of 107

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I don't agree with Preston when he says that the freelancers with higher scores aren't complaining"

You are citing the post in which I said contractors with high scores and high hire rates ARE complaining about the Job Success Score.

As I said, they complain less now because they got tired of complaining to deaf ears. Why waste time complaining about something over and over again when the people who have control over the situation have made it quite obvious that nothing's going to change and that our opinions mean very little to them.

There's very few contractors now that complain about it - but trust me, that doesn't mean that we are "quite pleased" with it. 

Highlighted
Monis A Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
53 of 107

@Dawn: Exactly, the last time i contacted them i got this reply.....so i have just stopped contacting them again and again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
54 of 107

@Preston H wrote:

I am pretty consistent with my complaining. It does get tiring that it falls on deaf ears but I don't think I would classify it as "less".  I'm not likely to let it go any time soon...  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
55 of 107

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I have not seen any single freelancer happy with job success! We should sign some petition."

Two points:

I am not seeing many complaints about Job Success Score coming from contractors with high scores and subsequent high hiring rate. I've seen some complaints from that quarter, but not many. I believe there are large numbers of contractors who are quite pleased with the Job Success Score and the impact it has had on their Upwork business.

Until something happens, like bad private feedback, to lower their JS... THEN you'll see squawking!!! 

Second, freelancer happiness with the Job Success Score is largely irrelevant to Upwork, because this was never created as a service for freelancers. Job Success Score was always intended as a service for Upwork's paying target customers: the clients. Upwork was always clear about this. JSS is meant to enhance the client experience and it is meant to increase Upwork profitability.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm only a lowly freelancer whose opinion means squat, but I thought that it was only freelancers who paid a fee to Upwork, not clients. The paying target would therefore be the freelancer who contributes to Upwork's profitability by paying the 10% fee after being paid by client for completing their jobs. I've never hired anyone, so I don't know if there's a few attached to hiring freelancers, but in any case, anyone who pays Upwork to use their platform, is a client.  

So even if 100% of freelancers said they did not like Job Success Score, such a number would be secondary to two factors:

- whether Upwork clients like it

- whether Upwork makes more money using it versus not using it

I sincerely believe that Upwork has no ideological devotion to Job Success Score that would compel it to continue using it even if doing so caused it to lose money. I believe that it regards the use of Job Success Score as a revenue-enhancing move: its customers are more satisfied with Upwork as a result, and more likely to hire contractors as a result, and thus Upwork makes more money as a result.

It won't be revenue-enhancing move without freelancers.  

Its customers (freelancers) won't be more satisfied with Upwork as a result, and will be more likely to skate  as a result, thus making Upwork a losing operation - as a result. 

That is my theory.

Personally, I have earned a lot more money and have had even higher job invitation rates since the introduction of Job Success Score, so it is difficult for me to complain from a personal perspective, although I understand and can sympathize with the contractors who are frustrated with it.

I don't really think you do understand how freelancers can be frustrated with JS because you haven't experienced the tragedy of it.

You might never have to worry about that because of the amount of work you do, and the amount of money you make for the platform. And that's fine, but unless you actually experience what many have in regards to JS, you just won't EVER know how it feels.

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
56 of 107

Hi Monis,

Yeah 74% sucks, if the client doesn't get into my profile and read some feedback and job rates I can have a really high disadvantage, I even say to clients check out my profile in my cover letter. And I know what you mean, because once I had worked with an employer that asked me to hire people for the company, honestly I didn't use to check their profile, they have written there and introduced themselves, trying to convince me they are the best, however I valued more who had 100% or 95% job success and those who had less I didn't hire them, because they weren't the best for me. So yeah.... it's been a while that I don't have a long project, but I will keep on trying bidding and let us see.

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
57 of 107

On this matter I think Elance was better, at least for me. I miss you Elance! 

Highlighted
James D Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
58 of 107

My JSS usually goes down when a fixed-price contract hasn't been paid out even if the work was done. In two different situatoins, my JSS dropped by at least two percentage points. 

I reviewed my contracts and saw that a fixed-price contract hadn't been paid out and was, based on the due date, several weeks past due. 

I contacted the clients and told them their delayed approval was hurting my JSS, and they promptly approved the milestones. Within a week, my JSS jumped up to where it was before the slight dropoff. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
59 of 107

@James D wrote:

My JSS usually goes down when a fixed-price contract hasn't been paid out even if the work was done. In two different situatoins, my JSS dropped by at least two percentage points. 

I reviewed my contracts and saw that a fixed-price contract hadn't been paid out and was, based on the due date, several weeks past due. 

I contacted the clients and told them their delayed approval was hurting my JSS, and they promptly approved the milestones. Within a week, my JSS jumped up to where it was before the slight dropoff. 

That's interesting, because I had a conversation with a client about the due date he set up on a contract earlier this month, then had to dig through forum posts to see if it would actually have any effect on my JSS since we both knew we'd go over on the due date (he was going out of town for a week or so shortly after the contract was accepted, and I was technically on vacation at the time). He was more than willing to change the due date for me, given the circumstances on both sides, but after trying to figure out how to change it, we realized that he couldn't. I dug through forum posts and came across this post where Valeria commented saying that going over the due date wouldn't affect any stats. 

Highlighted
James D Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
60 of 107

Wow!! That's even more interesting because my score literally jumped like 3% once those overdue milestones were approved. To me, that says it affects your score. And, IMO, why wouldn't it? If you're overdue on a milestone it, in theory, means you return your work late.

And forgive me if my original post wasn't clear. When I said "paid out" what I meant was "approved." Sometimes I turn work in before the deadline, but edits and adjustments push it beyond the deadline.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS