Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
61 of 107

@James D wrote:

Wow!! That's even more interesting because my score literally jumped like 3% once those overdue milestones were approved. To me, that says it affects your score. And, IMO, why wouldn't it? If you're overdue on a milestone it, in theory, means you return your work late.

And forgive me if my original post wasn't clear. When I said "paid out" what I meant was "approved." Sometimes I turn work in before the deadline, but edits and adjustments push it beyond the deadline.  

I do agree that it probably should affect our JSS if we are late on a deadline - as long as the client is able to change the deadline after the job has started.

Prime example of what I mean would be my current situation: the client entered a placeholder deadline, not really expecting the project to be completed by the deadline date (the deadline was like 2-3 days from the time he sent me the offer lol). He knew I was on vacation at that time and wouldn't be back to work for a few more days. He also knew that he would be out of town for a week and that we would pick up the project after he returned. We were both fine with that. But.... when I asked him if he could extend the deadline, knowing these conditions existed - he searched for a way to do so (while I was on the phone with him), but neither of us could figure it out. That's when I found that forum link stating that the client cannot change the deadline date, but supposedly it wouldn't affect any stats.

So, I do agree that missing milestones should go against our JSS, but only if Upwork allows clients to change the deadline for cases such as this. Many clients  - more specifically, new clients on the platform - enter placeholder deadlines not realizing the negative effect it can have on their freelancer. Many clients are also willing to extend the deadline date for various reasons, and that decision should be left up to the client and freelancer to discuss. It shouldn't be a "locked in" deadline that is not able to be changed at some point, but can still negatively affect our scores. That is simply not fair.

This might actually be what caused my JSS to drop by 5% after the first update in January, as opposed to what I originally thought the reason was.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
62 of 107

@Dawn L wrote:

I do agree that it probably should affect our JSS if we are late on a deadline - as long as the client is able to change the deadline after the job has started.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

holy cow, this would be a nightmare. I would say the majority of my clients miss their own deadlines. With a lot of the work I do, once I accept a job, I submit quite a bit of work for THEM to do, first, to give to me so I can do their job.  I write resumes and most of them do not have the content I need on their existing one. So they have to provide it. For a lot of clients, this holds up the job a bit. Some are quick but some take quite a while going past their own deadline. I don't want to have it manage this as another JSS thing.....pleeeeeassssssssssse. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
63 of 107

Jessica S wrote:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

holy cow, this would be a nightmare. I would say the majority of my clients miss their own deadlines. With a lot of the work I do, once I accept a job, I submit quite a bit of work for THEM to do, first, to give to me so I can do their job.  I write resumes and most of them do not have the content I need on their existing one. So they have to provide it. For a lot of clients, this holds up the job a bit. Some are quick but some take quite a while going past their own deadline. I don't want to have it manage this as another JSS thing.....pleeeeeassssssssssse. 

That's exactly why i said only if Upwork allows clients to change the due date in the middle of the project (like, after you have accepted the offer, but before the job is closed).

At least then, if the client goes over the deadline, or it seems like they might, we can send them a message and say "hey, listen, it looks like the delay is going to run us past the deadline date that you've set up. Would you mind extending the deadline out so that it doesn't affect either of our stats? Thanks!"

Of course, this would rely on clients being responsive, but hell, our income relies on that too - I'd rather take a hit to my JSS than a hit to my bank account, so this would be the lesser of two evils to me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
64 of 107

@Dawn L wrote:

That's exactly why i said only if Upwork allows clients to change the due date in the middle of the project (like, after you have accepted the offer, but before the job is closed).

At least then, if the client goes over the deadline, or it seems like they might, we can send them a message and say "hey, listen, it looks like the delay is going to run us past the deadline date that you've set up. Would you mind extending the deadline out so that it doesn't affect either of our stats? Thanks!"

Of course, this would rely on clients being responsive, but hell, our income relies on that too - I'd rather take a hit to my JSS than a hit to my bank account, so this would be the lesser of two evils to me.

But it still would be a case of "what difference does it make?" To the client and once again, our thing to beg them to do and we would have to do it, during the job, and if they forget, we have to do it again and again and this could piss them off and lower our rating........

What if they disappear after offering the job? Does the JSS take 2 hits now?  And some clients are slow to respond too. Now we would have to beg them like crazy to come back before the deadline.

Pleassssse nooooooo

I think it's just fine as is. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
65 of 107

That's true, but it would also put more accountability on the freelancers - particularly new freelancers that may not realize how important deadlines really are - or care for that matter. I agree, there should be more accountability on the clients as well, but if freelancers are supposed to promote themselves as professional.... then deadlines should be important to them - and when they miss a deadline due to their own excuses, they should be held accountable, even if that means a drop in JSS.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
66 of 107

Hi Dawn and others,

We do encourage you to communicate with your client in a timely manner and make sure you are on the same page about deadlines and general timeline for the project. However, I would like to confirm once again that submitting a milestone later than the due date will not affect your Job Success score negatively as long as the contract is completed successfully and the client provides positive feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
67 of 107

Hi Valeria,

I would still like to suggest that Upwork consider allowing the client to change the deadlines after the offer has been accepted - whether this affects our JSS or not. 

Also, if there really is no affect on our JSS if we miss the deadline set up by the client, as long as the client pays and leaves positive feedback - then what's the point in a client taking the 2 seconds to insert a deadline anyway? I would like to recommend either removing that functionality from the client interface, or at least allow clients to make changes after the job offer has been accepted.

Highlighted
Cherie M Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
68 of 107

This is what I'm trying to understand. I have only one job on UW currently. It isn't due until May, but it is completed. The client hasn't fully funded escrow so I haven't uploaded the file to him. He understands that will happen once escrow is fully funded. This shouldn't have a negative affect on my JSS should it?

The reason I ask is that last week I was at 86%, but for reasons unknown to me, it dropped to 74%.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
69 of 107

Hi Cherie,

Inactive contracts with no activity and no payments may affect your Job Success score.

There is a bigger concern with the contract you mentioned. If the project is completed and no further work is expected to be done for several months, it's better to ask the client to fund Escrow for the remaining balance and release the funds for that contract. Due to Escrow regulations, Fixed-Price contracts that haven't had any payments, bonuses and updated milestones for 90 days have to be closed. If no action is taken, since Escrow is funded, you will be notified after 90 days of inactivity and will have 7 days to request for funds to be released, before they are refunded back to your client.

Please refer to Garnor's announcement post for more information on this process.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
70 of 107

I thought Fixed Fee payments are automatically released to the freelancer after two weeks if the cient fails to respond to submitted work.  unless, of course, the client files a dispute.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS