Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
71 of 107

Only if you submit the work through the "submit work/request payment" button.

In my case, my client and I use a project management platform outside of Upwork (but he pays through Upwork)... so it would mean me submitting the final copy to him twice - once on the project management platform, and once through Upwork's "submit work/ request payment" button. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
72 of 107

I know.  I was responding to James' quote above.  I'm unable to figure out how to quote posts, but it's this:

"My JSS usually goes down when a fixed-price contract hasn't been paid out even if the work was done. In two different situatoins, my JSS dropped by at least two percentage points.

I reviewed my contracts and saw that a fixed-price contract hadn't been paid out and was, based on the due date, several weeks past due."

It sounds like James was waiting longer than 2 weeks to be paid for a fixed-rate job, even though he submitted the work.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
73 of 107

That's what I'm saying though. If he didn't submit the work through the "submit work/ request payment" button, then he would still be waiting longer than two weeks to get paid on the work. I've had a situation where I waited over two weeks (nearly a month, actually) for a client to respond back to me whether or not they were happy with a draft (at that time, I didn't typically submit drafts through the request payment button - I'd just attach them in a message and wait for feedback/revision requests). The client never responded, so I didn't get paid on it until well after the due date and normal 2-week period. I wound up having to submit the draft through the "submit work/request payment" button, then waiting another two weeks to get paid, plus had to close the contract myself because the client never contacted me again and wouldn't respond to Upwork reps that tried contacting her on my behalf lol.

So, yeah, if he didn't submit the work through that button, it's possible that he didn't get paid after 2 weeks.

By the way, to quote someone, click the reply button under their comment then on the next page at the top right of the text box, you'll see the word "Quote"... click that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
74 of 107

I learned my lesson on the draft thing. Now, I just submit to the milestone and let them ask for revisions. Most people just accept. Some ask for revisions through the milestone and others ask for revisions through the messaging system and let the clock run down. So now I just submit to the milestone and start the clock.

Highlighted
Community Guru
75 of 107

Yeah, that was the first bad experience I've had with it. Now I'm trying to get into the habit of changing my work methods to submit the draft through the milestone and let the clock tick. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't. The few times that I haven't since then, I haven't had a bad experience yet. Honestly, though, I had a bad feeling at the start of that contract anyway - mainly because I was stepping out of my comfort zone and taking on a rush gig, which I generally don't do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
76 of 107

@Dawn L wrote:

That's what I'm saying though. If he didn't submit the work through the "submit work/ request payment" button, then he would still be waiting longer than two weeks to get paid on the work. I've had a situation where I waited over two weeks (nearly a month, actually) for a client to respond back to me whether or not they were happy with a draft (at that time, I didn't typically submit drafts through the request payment button - I'd just attach them in a message and wait for feedback/revision requests). The client never responded, so I didn't get paid on it until well after the due date and normal 2-week period. I wound up having to submit the draft through the "submit work/request payment" button, then waiting another two weeks to get paid, plus had to close the contract myself because the client never contacted me again and wouldn't respond to Upwork reps that tried contacting her on my behalf lol.

So, yeah, if he didn't submit the work through that button, it's possible that he didn't get paid after 2 weeks.

By the way, to quote someone, click the reply button under their comment then on the next page at the top right of the text box, you'll see the word "Quote"... click that.

Thanks so much, Dawn. It worked! 

Highlighted
James D Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
77 of 107

You two bring up a good point. I usually just send in the work and wait for them to accept, but I think I should start hitting the "Submit Work" button on the job's milestone page. That way, I'll avoid any late work. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
78 of 107

I submit work any which way the client likes (email, google sheets, messages, whatever) and still hit the submit milestone / request payment button with a note saying "already sent via ...." - There is no requirement to attach the work to the payment request although clearly if there is a dispute it is better if it´s submitted through the proper channel.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jordan G Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
79 of 107

Vladimir G wrote:

--------------------------------------------

"Inactive contracts with no activity and no payments may affect your Job Success score."

-------------------------------------------

Again may affect the score,   I want concrete, transparent rules as to what affects the JSS and what does not.

Especially as the web page here:
https://www.upwork.com/i/howitworks/freelancer/

Says and I quote

"Reputation building: Our client feedback system helps you build your reputation in a way that is verifiable and leads to more business and higher earnings.  "

I want to know what exactly about the JSS is verifiable?  This seems an outright lie as nothinbg is verifiable about the JSS. 

Not to mention as I mentioned a million times I'm supposed to believe that with all the other problems on the site that the JSS in a black box is being calculated correctly.

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
80 of 107

Hi guys how are you? 

I want to share one quick experience here, an employer called me in Skype to interview me, and guess what he has asked? YEAHHH you are right, about my 74% Job success. It was really unpleasant explaining why, but LUCKILY we will work together, because he thinks I am a good fit for him and reading my profile, we wants to work with me. 

I am happy that we will work together, but I feel disappointed with Upwork system of evaluation, and also that rate has probably affected me of getting new contracts, because some employers they require 90% up job success rate, so until when Upwork are Freelancers going to be in this frustrating situation? and what if I hadn't gotten the job? 

I just wanted to share how I feel guys, we work a lot and I think we all deserve a good job evaluation, so this is a bit my frustration and if I hadn't gotten the job, oh man I would feel worse and honestly a bit angry as we do pay Upwork and work hard. 

Cheers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS