Did you mean: 

The Problem with job success rate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
81 of 107

@Guilherme Gabriel T wrote:

Hi guys how are you? 

I want to share one quick experience here, an employer called me in Skype to interview me, and guess what he has asked? YEAHHH you are right, about my 74% Job success. It was really unpleasant explaining why, but LUCKILY we will work together, because he thinks I am a good fit for him and reading my profile, we wants to work with me. 

I am happy that we will work together, but I feel disappointed with Upwork system of evaluation, and also that rate has probably affected me of getting new contracts, because some employers they require 90% up job success rate, so until when Upwork are Freelancers going to be in this frustrating situation? and what if I hadn't gotten the job? 

I just wanted to share how I feel guys, we work a lot and I think we all deserve a good job evaluation, so this is a bit my frustration and if I hadn't gotten the job, oh man I would feel worse and honestly a bit angry as we do pay Upwork and work hard. 

Cheers.

Must have been awkward. I might have asked him why his score was what it was. If there was public feedback the client could have seen that you had good reviews or not. 

Personally, I don't think that Js concerns many clients. Why? Because I've been invited to apply for  many  jobs with a low score. Not all the jobs were suited to me, but I'm glad people thought I was a good candidate. 

I wouldn't think about the what if's though. You'll go mad.

Just create great proposals for great projects and you'll be fine. It's not that simple,  but I'm trying to keep my typing down to a minimum so I can type a bunch of words tomorrow. Smiley Happy  

Congrats on grabbing a new client! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Randall B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
82 of 107

I too am one of the people who's completed all of his jobs w/ scores from 4.6 to 5 and been rehired by clients and still have a score of 69%. Though I did have clients who hired me and were never heard from again,. A client who hired me then told me their client changed direction but keep the contract open for the next 4 months waiting for the actual work before I closed it. I've h ad a client hire me then ask for money up front before I could get the assets......ok, that job I didn't complete okay?

This one really took the cake however, I did a job for upWork, recording English phrases. Completed it. They did not leave feedback. Says it all really.

They contacted me for the second leg of the project. Told tehem tehy would have to leave feedback for the first part before I would consider.

Sigh. I guess that's the way I'm going to have to be with all clients.

Highlighted
nicolas G Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
83 of 107

Hi,

Just sharing my experience with JS score…

In two weeks my score went from 94 to 78 ! Obviously customer service did not help me understand why. But basically there are two factors that could have had that impact:

• Contracts without work: 2 clients hired me, but then decided to postpone the tasks. My advice, close those jobs and never mind about the loss in potential revenue – who comes to Upwork to make a living right?

• Missing milestones deadline: For 1 contact I missed 3 milestones, due to the client. My advice, if you see that you will miss the deadline because of the client, close the job! Again, never mind about the loss in revenue.

Once you follow these steps, your JS score will improve back Smiley Happy but you won’t have jobs anymore... Then your JS score will drop again because you closed jobs without payment.

Moral of the story: Upwork do not want freelancers to work on their platform

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
84 of 107

@nicolas G wrote:

Hi,

Just sharing my experience with JS score…

In two weeks my score went from 94 to 78 ! Obviously customer service did not help me understand why. But basically there are two factors that could have had that impact:

• Contracts without work: 2 clients hired me, but then decided to postpone the tasks. My advice, close those jobs and never mind about the loss in potential revenue – who comes to Upwork to make a living right?

• Missing milestones deadline: For 1 contact I missed 3 milestones, due to the client. My advice, if you see that you will miss the deadline because of the client, close the job! Again, never mind about the loss in revenue.

Once you follow these steps, your JS score will improve back Smiley Happy but you won’t have jobs anymore... Then your JS score will drop again because you closed jobs without payment.

Moral of the story: Upwork do not want freelancers to work on their platform

I don't know about your first point, but on the second, your score is not directly hit by missing a milestone, only if you haven't delivered when the client expects you to, and then you could get a lower feedback because of it. See Valeria's comment:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Milestone-Submission-Deadline/m-p/81327/highlight/true#M...

Highlighted
Guilherme Gabriel T Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
85 of 107

That happens man,

I have most of my jobs 5 stars if not 4.4 that is the lowest, however I have 3 clients that didn't give to me reviews, and they are no longer on website. So my job success is 75% it is a tragedy! 

Hardly ever one employer comes to me and ask hey why do you have only 75%, when they come I explain all this mess that happens in Upwork. 

So keep on trying and hopefully you will get a position.

Highlighted
Monis A Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
86 of 107

There are certainly some issues with JSS.

Today while reviewing some candidates i saw some who are part of an agency and have not worked for an year he had 98% score and there is other candidate who has 4 items in his portfolio 0 jobs and labelled as rising talent.

I also saw a developer with 40hrs clocked and labelled as Top rated, these things are arelly hard for me to grasp as how are freelancers as new as these getting top rated and others who have clocked more than 1000hrs with 4.5 stars not getting top rated.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
87 of 107

Hi Monis,

Job Success score is not based on the number of jobs or hours logged but on whether or not the jobs were completed successfully. Most freelancers will get their JSS after completing about 5 projects. You can check out this article to learn more about how JSS is calculated and this article to learn how to become Top Rated.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Monis A Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
88 of 107

HI Valeria

A question: how do people with no jobs get marked as rising talent ??

Its hard for me to understand, also how come many good freelancers that are not working for say 3 weeks get removed from top-rated (90 to 82) but others who haven't worked for over 1 year remain top-rated.

BTW i am not making any false accusations, happened to me, so i am trying to understand how this works Smiley Happy

Thanks

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
89 of 107

Hi Monis,

You can find the Raising Talent criteria in this thread. 

To your second dilemma, freelancers from your example failed to maintain their Top Rated status due to either:

- a change in their Job Success Score, which must be at least 90%, or

- had a hold on their freelancer/Agency account.

You can share the profiles of users you feel were not active in a year but are still part of the Top Rated program, so we could review.

You may read more about the program and how to qualify in the help article here

Highlighted
Jessie-Craig S Member Since: Apr 13, 2016
90 of 107

I am only here because after numerous emails back and forth with Upwork Support, I was told to voice my opinions here because "Most of the improvements in Upwork are coming from comments and suggestions.The information will then be forwarded to the Product Management team for consideration."

From what I see, however, it is a waste of time to even talk about how unfair it is. Waking up to a 70% job success rate when you have a history of purely happy clients (happy to your face at least) is not only unfair, it's really just a slap in the face for doing really good work. It is an arbitrary grading system and is almost heartbreaking to think that the reputation you spent months or years building up is suddenly and inexplicably ruined.

The JSS could easily be ignored if it weren't for the sudden drop in marketability! Getting an Upwork client to bat an eye at your job application when your JSS is at 70 is as hard as getting a real life interview for your dream job after showing up in tattered, dirty, old clothes. 

And to think that perhaps Upwork management only cares what the clients think about JSS ...and to think that some freelancers exist in the system unscathed by this random injustice ...really makes this a sad dystopian work environment for me because as long as those two parties exist...we will continue to just be the annoying miscreants who got the short end of the stick and won't shut up about it. The freelancers unaffected by this may arguably be 'testament that the system works' so clearly then we must have messed up somehow. 

So like Dawn L of this thread...I give up. Much like everyday life in this world...I will just accept the injustice as somehow my fault.

- Highly Discontent Freelancer

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS