Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

The Race to Submitting Proposals - Discussion

don_paolo88
Active Member
Don Paolo N Member Since: Jul 25, 2019
1 of 6

Hi, Upwork community.

 

I just thought of something while I was scrolling through my swipe file of winning proposals and tailor-fitting them to all of my cover letters.

 

I've always felt that sending a proposal is a "race" on who can submit the fastest proposals. There are some jobs that have 15 to 20 proposals, then after a few seconds, it's 20 to 50 proposals.

 

Tailor-fitting your proposals for clients take time. And since clients probably only read PAGE 1 of the proposal list, I hope that the BOOSTING CONNECTS feature is upgraded for all job posts.

 

Imagine if a Top Rated 100% Job Success Score is buried beneath tons of proposals that are written like a generic talking resume on page 1? The client will probably be too exhausted to continue reading genuine proposals that the client will want to read.

 

I just noticed that so many possible job posts that want to hire someone on the platform end up hiring nobody. And, I'm a client myself. I've read a lot of "talking resumes" on cover letters. I sometimes wonder what they're doing on page 1 of the list.

 

P.S.: Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. But, hey. This wasn't an overnight success. We really had to invest blood, sweat, and tears in getting this achievement. It wasn't given to us on a silver platter.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Don Paolo N wrote:

I've always felt that sending a proposal is a "race" on who can submit the fastest proposals. There are some jobs that have 15 to 20 proposals, then after a few seconds, it's 20 to 50 proposals.


You do understand that clients do NOT see proposals in the order they came in, right?

 


Don Paolo N wrote:

I hope that the BOOSTING CONNECTS feature is upgraded for all job posts.


What, so you can spend 20, 30, or even more connects hoping to get one of the top 3 spots?

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
3 of 6

Don Paolo N wrote:

Hi, Upwork community.

 

I just thought of something while I was scrolling through my swipe file of winning proposals and tailor-fitting them to all of my cover letters.

 

I've always felt that sending a proposal is a "race" on who can submit the fastest proposals. There are some jobs that have 15 to 20 proposals, then after a few seconds, it's 20 to 50 proposals.

 

Tailor-fitting your proposals for clients take time. And since clients probably only read PAGE 1 of the proposal list, I hope that the BOOSTING CONNECTS feature is upgraded for all job posts.

 

Imagine if a Top Rated 100% Job Success Score is buried beneath tons of proposals that are written like a generic talking resume on page 1? The client will probably be too exhausted to continue reading genuine proposals that the client will want to read.

 

I just noticed that so many possible job posts that want to hire someone on the platform end up hiring nobody. And, I'm a client myself. I've read a lot of "talking resumes" on cover letters. I sometimes wonder what they're doing on page 1 of the list.

 

P.S.: Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. But, hey. This wasn't an overnight success. We really had to invest blood, sweat, and tears in getting this achievement. It wasn't given to us on a silver platter.


In addition to what Petra told you, if your complaint is that in a few seconds the job is full of proposals, imagine the number of jobs that will have 50+ since they will only cost 1 connection.

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
4 of 6

Maybe they should let clients decide. Two options: Click on "Rate by suitability for job" or "Rate by number of connects bought".

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 6

Don Paolo N wrote:

Hi, Upwork community.

 

I just thought of something while I was scrolling through my swipe file of winning proposals and tailor-fitting them to all of my cover letters.

 

I've always felt that sending a proposal is a "race" on who can submit the fastest proposals. There are some jobs that have 15 to 20 proposals, then after a few seconds, it's 20 to 50 proposals.

 

Tailor-fitting your proposals for clients take time. And since clients probably only read PAGE 1 of the proposal list, I hope that the BOOSTING CONNECTS feature is upgraded for all job posts.

 

Imagine if a Top Rated 100% Job Success Score is buried beneath tons of proposals that are written like a generic talking resume on page 1? The client will probably be too exhausted to continue reading genuine proposals that the client will want to read.

 

I just noticed that so many possible job posts that want to hire someone on the platform end up hiring nobody. And, I'm a client myself. I've read a lot of "talking resumes" on cover letters. I sometimes wonder what they're doing on page 1 of the list.

 

P.S.: Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging. But, hey. This wasn't an overnight success. We really had to invest blood, sweat, and tears in getting this achievement. It wasn't given to us on a silver platter.


How is it, if you are a client as well as a freelancer, that you don't know that proposals are not sorted by order of receipt? Don't try to sell a room of professionals if you don't understand the basics of the profession. Save the fishing for FB. 

rainmaker1145
Ace Contributor
Clinton L Member Since: Mar 3, 2021
6 of 6

I think the outcome remains to be seen.  The customer is informed that you paid to be placed higher in the stack.  Some may think they are potentially exposed to a scam.  Some may think you are really interested.  In the end, my stats have shown that once the proposal count hits the 20+ bracket I'm spending a buck for nothing.  The other side of the coin is that freelancers may become suspicious about how that process works and the basis for it all, thus, in the end, Upwork will make less money as fewer proposals will in fact be made, so the connects money will likely end up being hammered as a result.  Heard it here, first.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS