🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The Sham of UpWork Payments
Page options
cutterji
Community Member

The Sham of UpWork Payments

My first with project with UpWork was completely funded at the onset.  Once completeed the client released the funds and those are in a pending status.  I called and I was told it would 6 days for "processing" for "security purposes" and then another 3 days for banks to "process".  This is 2020.  We all know this happens instantly.  No human is involved.  It is a electronic process.

I find it shamefull that UpWork believes that it's freelancers are so dim that they are not aware that  UpWork is using the money in escrow and in "process" to increase their bottom line.  

I am now one of UpWorks indentured servants. Thank "you know who" that they did not confiscate my passport [whicy UpWork vetted by the way].

Best of luck to all of us talented individuals that are trying to sctatch out a living.

Cutter

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Cutter J wrote:

My first with project with UpWork was completely funded at the onset.  Once completeed the client released the funds and those are in a pending status.  I called and I was told it would 6 days for "processing" for "security purposes"

It's 5 days, not 6

Cutter J wrote:

I am now one of UpWorks indentured servants.

Nonsense.

kirnazdogan
Community Member

I think you forgot to check this option while creating your account.

blabla.png

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Cutter,

The long delay in getting payments processed through Upwork's system is an ongoing source of freelancer complaints.

However, there is no evidence Upwork uses escrowed funds for its own internal purposes. In fact, Upwork has filed reports with the US government that specifically state Upwork from time time has to borrow funds from its bank to make a week's payments to freelancers because clients have not yet paid Upwork.

If you want to get paid quickly, stick to fixed price projects. For hourly projects, the Upwork work week ends at 7:00 PM Sunday New York time and freelancers have payment for that work week in their bank accounts not sooner than 11 days later. (I rarely do fixed price projects because hourly work has better payment protection; clients can play fewer games on hourly projects.)

Good luck.

joansands
Community Member

Hey, Cutter - since when are you an indentured servant? You don't work for Upwork. And things might happen instantly for you - but that is not what happens in the real world. In addition, there are many other freelancer sites you might want to go to.

tlsanders
Community Member

Actually, Upwork's SEC reports clearly show that the company frequently has to transfer money from its own operating accounts to cover escrow shortfalls due to processing time from the client to the escrow account. In other words, Upwork is constantly lending money to the escrow account so that it can make payouts to freelancers within the promised window.

Upwork also does not earn interest on escrow accounts. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members