Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: The Town Hall on the new connect changes

Highlighted
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
11 of 42

Kelly B wrote:

Marina R, why won't it affect you personally, if I may ask?

 

Also, why can't I figure out how to quote on this forum? Smiley Tongue


I attached a screenshot of how to quote. 

 

It won't affect me at this point because I'm not really planning on applying for any jobs. I applied for about 10 recently, and got 4. Still being considered for a few. 

 

I also get invites, so it's never been an issue. I always have almost all of my connects. 

 

I didn't mean that the rule will somehow circumvent me.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rocio G Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
12 of 42

Since it was mentioned that they are reading the threads, hopefully we can hear back from them (I'm not suggesting to respond to every one of them, but at least the ones being posted which hold the same sentiments).  Many of the issues discussed in the threads weren't mentioned at all during the webminar. One being regarding the sliding fee.  I posted this question during the webminar. Is anyone able to answer it? Doubt it:

 

"Since there are plans to begin charging for connects, why isn't it possible, since the motive to make this change is "to help professional freelancers like you win more jobs" to reduce the sliding fee to a much lower % rate than the current 20%, 10% or 5%?"

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 42

Rocio G wrote:

Is anyone able to answer it? Doubt it:

 

"Since there are plans to begin charging for connects, why isn't it possible, since the motive to make this change is "to help professional freelancers like you win more jobs" to reduce the sliding fee to a much lower % rate than the current 20%, 10% or 5%?"


Are you seriously thinking that there is even the faintest chance of that happening?

 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rocio G Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
14 of 42

Petra R wrote:

Rocio G wrote:

Is anyone able to answer it? Doubt it:

 

"Since there are plans to begin charging for connects, why isn't it possible, since the motive to make this change is "to help professional freelancers like you win more jobs" to reduce the sliding fee to a much lower % rate than the current 20%, 10% or 5%?"


Are you seriously thinking that there is even the faintest chance of that happening?

 


No, of course not. I just wanted to see if they had an answer to that in order to somehow "assist" freelancers as they initially said was one of the motives for this change. They could at least consider it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
15 of 42

Rocio G wrote:

Since it was mentioned that they are reading the threads, hopefully we can hear back from them (I'm not suggesting to respond to every one of them, but at least the ones being posted which hold the same sentiments).  Many of the issues discussed in the threads weren't mentioned at all during the webminar. One being regarding the sliding fee.  I posted this question during the webminar. Is anyone able to answer it? Doubt it:

 

"Since there are plans to begin charging for connects, why isn't it possible, since the motive to make this change is "to help professional freelancers like you win more jobs" to reduce the sliding fee to a much lower % rate than the current 20%, 10% or 5%?"


I don't mind the 20% so much, and I imagine that's where they get the bulk of the fees, but the 5% threshold is too high imo. I have two long-term clients and I still haven't gotten to the 5% with them... it seems like it's super likely that by the time freelancers get to 5% they're also aging out of the circumvention policy... maybe that's by design.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rocio G Member Since: Apr 2, 2019
16 of 42

Don't get me wrong, if I did mind it, I would have never even started on this platform.  I was okay with that, seeing that they have to take their cut.  It seemed fair enough.  However with their greedyness of millking freelancers, I am now not very willing to share that 20% with them.  They can take the connects fee from that 20%.  And yes, I do agree that the 5% limitations are far too high for freelancers to reach.  In all fairness, I don't believe any client would be willing to stay with Upwork and one single freelancer for that long. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 42

Rocio G wrote:

  They can take the connects fee from that 20%. 

 

For you, sure. What about for the 91.8% of Upwork freelancers who have never earned a dollar on Upwork and so never paid a percentage of anything?

 

And yes, I do agree that the 5% limitations are far too high for freelancers to reach.  In all fairness, I don't believe any client would be willing to stay with Upwork and one single freelancer for that long. 

 

I have clients at 5% and know several other freelancers who do, as well. 


 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
18 of 42

Marina R wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Marina R, why won't it affect you personally, if I may ask?

 

Also, why can't I figure out how to quote on this forum? Smiley Tongue


I attached a screenshot of how to quote. 

 

It won't affect me at this point because I'm not really planning on applying for any jobs. I applied for about 10 recently, and got 4. Still being considered for a few. 

 

I also get invites, so it's never been an issue. I always have almost all of my connects. 

 

I didn't mean that the rule will somehow circumvent me.


Thanks. I knew it was something ridiculously easy lol.

 

I didn't mean that you were above the rules either. I usually get invites too, but have noticed a decrease with this new limit they've placed on clients.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 42

Marina R wrote:

Really? They don't trust us to have a civil conversation. We're not children. We should be allowed a rebuttal in a so called Town Hall. 

 

You make it sound like you've never read a forum thread. 100+ pages of rant in which various people said the same thing in slightly different words dozens of times in all caps is a good tip off that intelligent discussion is not likely.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
20 of 42

Well, ranting


Tiffany S wrote:

Marina R wrote:

Really? They don't trust us to have a civil conversation. We're not children. We should be allowed a rebuttal in a so called Town Hall. 

 

You make it sound like you've never read a forum thread. 100+ pages of rant in which various people said the same thing in slightly different words dozens of times in all caps is a good tip off that intelligent discussion is not likely.


Well, ranting in forums is what we do when we don't get a chance ask questions and followup questions. 

 

For example

 

"Are you doing this for more money?"

 

"No, we're actually expecting not to make money from this." 

 

"Got it." 

 

-Now, instead of "Got it", we could ask "How did you calculate that math. You say many people buy connects for one dollar each, can you say how many? Additionally, are you saying that you won't make extra money from Plus being more expensive? If so, what are you doing wrong when you're charging 50% more, but coming out not making any money?" 

 

Those are all legitimate questions. They are not ranty. I'm seriously curious. 

 

Additionally:

 

"We're doing this so that clients don't need to sort through so many apps. However, if they say they want Top Rated only, we'll let everyone else apply because clients can sort and filter."

 

A question there could be: Is this filter available if the clients don't state their preference? If you say that clients can sort, what stops them from sorting right now? 

 

Also: 

 

"We made this change where we charge for connects. You will get the connects back only if a job is closed or reported as fraud. We didn't want to make too many changes, so we won't give you back connects if the job is inactive forever." 

 

A followup there would have been: 

 

"But why? Not making a change for a sake of not making one additional change because there are too many changes seems ignorant.

 

Why not make an additional change that would benefit the freelancers, for example, if a job is inactive for more than a month, you'd send the potential client an email saying that you will close the job if they don't hire anyone. 

 

If you don't hear from them, you'll close the job automatically, not leave it active indefinitely. Clearly, that wouldn't any purpose other than keeping the money you get for connects?" 

 

Now, Tiffany, I don't know if you think those are insulting to them, or somehow seem agressive, to me they just sound like rational followups. But we weren't allowed to ask followup questions, meaning the whole thing was just for show. Nothing was explained, other than the things that were previously already explained. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS