🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The advantage of browsing for projects in...
Page options
matthew24857
Community Member

The advantage of browsing for projects in the middle of the night

You avoid all the impatient, frivolous clients who post a project and then hire 1 of 50 eager, drooling freelancers 15 minutes later like **Edited for Community Guidelines**. They had all their fun during business hours.

Any projects that are still posted at night are still new but were posted by someone who actually wants to make a semi-serious decision about getting their work done, maybe take a day or two to think about it.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew C wrote:

The advantage of browsing for projects in the middle of the night

It's always "the middle of the night" somewhere.

Matthew C wrote:

You avoid all the impatient, frivolous clients who post a project and then hire 1 of 50 eager, drooling freelancers 15 minutes later like **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

How offensive.

Matthew C wrote:

Any projects that are still posted at night are still new but were posted by someone who actually wants to make a semi-serious decision about getting their work done, maybe take a day or two to think about it.

Or they are the ones who post a job and never look at it again. All the "never hire" jobs you whined about in one of your previous rants will still be there "in the middle of the night" (which is literally always, somewhere) and the next day, and the day after, and the day after that.

florydev
Community Member

My typical (or perhaps ideal) client is a small to medium sized business and typically employees do not stay up all hours to post job posts. So my advice to your advice is to consider what your target is and when you might expect them to post.  If it is anyone at any time that's great for you, but others might want to do their own calculation.

I would say much like the advice that you should try to be first to a job there are some problems with it. I think working with clients that hire someone on a knee jerk reaction is risky. I actually proposed on a project just this week that I had seen the night before and dismissed.  In reviewing my feed I hit it again some 10 hours later and thought about it some more and realized it was a good fit. There was already the 20-50 range of proposals and they had not interviewed anyone and hadn't been back for a day.

They responded back within the hour and I will get the job if they get their job.

Am I bragging about how **bleep** awesome I am?  Sure.  But another point you could draw out of that is that the client wanted something specifically and I was the first person to bring it, not the first person to propose. Whatever I wrote that worked was interesting enough to break their review cycle and have them say "we need to talk to that guy, right now." 

I would absolutely, overwhelming advise anyone that the best clients to get are the ones that want YOU, not just anyone.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members