🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The awful algorithm for Job Suggestion and Fe...
Page options
zepar
Community Member

The awful algorithm for Job Suggestion and Featured Jobs

It is well known that the algorithm Upwork uses for jobs suggestions is pretty messed up.

Over the years, I've received absurd suggestions from the system, and had seen similar cases in different people working into different business.

This is a case I just found. Just entering the site I saw this Featuring Job and I decided to check it out.
It's a 1-3 months length project... That hasn't been visited by the client for 27 days (at the moment this post was created).

**Edited for community guidelines**

Do I really need to point out how ridiculous this kind of stuff is? I would love to see the UpWork team taking care of the real, actual problems from time to time, rather than thinking how much they can charge per connect.

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Yeah, I just ignore those emails; by the time you get them, those projects already have 50 bids (assuming that any of them are even relevant to your skillset). It's best to just keep an eye on the project postings on the website and get your bid in as quickly as you can.

Christine A wrote:

Yeah, I just ignore those emails; by the time you get them, those projects already have 50 bids (assuming that any of them are even relevant to your skillset). It's best to just keep an eye on the project postings on the website and get your bid in as quickly as you can.

@Agustin

I think I have a personal limit to the number of things I can actively ignore without toxic irritability buildup. But, you can do one better than just ignoring them or putting a lot of mental energy into trying to nag people into changing the algorithm.

You can turn them off!

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Turn-Job-Recommendation-Emails-Off-Wow-I-didn-t-know-yo...

zepar
Community Member

Both you and Christine misunderstood completely what I said, Renata. I not receiving emails, these are the actual recommendations you see just entering https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/

And I disagree. It the dev team job to offer a quality product. They should, no, they MUST have a website running in optimal conditions, in every single aspect. Keep in mind they aren't doing charity job, they actually take money as fee from our payments and connects. It's only logical and fair to have a well developed platform.

I know there always will be stuff to fix and improve, but if it's such an obvious and annoying problem they just can't do nothing.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths