🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client asks for a refund after successful...
Page options
enessijaric
Community Member

The client asks for a refund after successfully completed job

I got a job on Sunday and logged in 2:40hours via a trackerUpwork. It was a small job that I completed successfully. The client was delighted with my work and my approach to work. He said he would contact me for other projects in the future. He immediately closed the contract and left great feedback, just like me to him.

Two days later (last night) a client calls and asks me to refund his money because he used the wrong payment card. He says he will pay me the same amount of money as a bonus.

"

I used the credit card that I was not allowed to use as the credit card was for travel expenses. I try to fix this and upwork confirmed that if i give a bonus first, you will have no impact on your JSS

"

Also the client told Upwork support to contact me and they did. This is the email I received

"

I understand that ClientName is requesting that you refund your earnings from your contract, which he will also resend to you as a bonus using his preferred billing method.

In general, when a contract has no earnings, your Job Success Score may be negatively impacted, which would be a pity since I see that Peyman has given you excellent ratings on your contract!

In light of this, I would suggest that you wait until ClientName sends you the bonus payment for your contract. Once he does that, it will show up on your Transaction History, and when you receive the bonus payment, you can then go ahead and issue a refund for the original payment from ClientName so that your JSS is not affected in any way.
"

Client money is still in the In review section. Am I obliged to give him a refund and what can happen if I do not allow him a refund?

The contract is worth $ 80. Not a large amount of money involved. Money is not as important to me as JSS, I do not want it to negatively affect my profile. I don't have any negative ratings, and I'm a top-rated freelancer. Does anyone have proven experience? Upwork support says that if the client gives me the bonus first, then I can confirm his refund, that way nothing bad will affect my JSS?

If anyone has similar experiences please write what should I do in this very uncomfortable and stressful situation?

This is info section about the Client:
Screenshot_2.png

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Essentially, as the bonus will replace the refunded money, there will be no impact on your JSS. The only time there is a negative effect on your JSS is if the contract closes with nothing paid.

As long as you get the bonus on that same contract, all is good. Just let the client issue the bonus and issue the refund. It will have NO negative effect at all

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths