🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client asks me for personal informati...
Page options
fleurian2019
Community Member

The client asks me for personal information. Is it allowed?

Hello.
I had a client and during the interview made me a test and validated my proposal. He tells me because of the attackers I met earlier that he prefers to be safe by asking me to provide personal information. I will add the content of his request and my answer. I would like to have the opinion of the elders because I do not want to grill my account.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Fleurian,

I would strongly suggest not share any private information with your clients.
If your client has any questions they can reach out to our Customer Support directly and our team will assist them further. To learn more how to protect your self I would also suggest to check out the Safety First section on this Thread. 

Please keep in mind that asking for free tests/work is a violation of our TOS and you can flag the job directly from the posting. You can also reach out to our Customer Support or us (Moderators) via PM, our team will investigate the client further and take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Fleurian,

I would strongly suggest not share any private information with your clients.
If your client has any questions they can reach out to our Customer Support directly and our team will assist them further. To learn more how to protect your self I would also suggest to check out the Safety First section on this Thread. 

Please keep in mind that asking for free tests/work is a violation of our TOS and you can flag the job directly from the posting. You can also reach out to our Customer Support or us (Moderators) via PM, our team will investigate the client further and take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I had a client and during the interview made me a test and validated my proposal. He tells me because of the attackers I met earlier that he prefers to be safe by asking me to provide personal information. I will add the content of his request and my answer. I would like to have the opinion of the elders because I do not want to grill my account."

Sounds like a scammer.

I have completed over 200 jobs.

No client has ever asked me for information like my social security number or banking information.

Real client's don't need that kind of information.

Simply tell the client that Upwork has your personal information and has verified it, so there is no need for the client to do so.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths