cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The client changed the requirements which initially provided with the offer (flat rate contract)

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
Paul T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
11 of 20

@Jennifer M wrote:

You have to be really careful about people who describe a job as simple. It's usually a red flag.

Absolutely agree with your statement! I don't know what possessed me... 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 20

Am I understanding you right that you finished it and got paid and everything is final now? That's good at least.

I've been juggling things here for 2 years and 1.5 years on Elance, and I can say I've maybe had people do this to me a handful of times (not counting hourly of course). Once was last year, and then I had an older client that transferred the content management to a new person and I assumed the new person was as easy as he was (big mistake). That's all i can remember anyway, so relatively low amount of problems.

In one case it went to arbitration. There was a lot more to that story though than just endless revisions. Another one was a $2500 job and looking back I should have known and shouldn't have bid as low as I did. I should have bid high and dropped him if he didn't like it. Our deal was no revisions and he went back on it and asked for 4 weeks worth of revisions. It was really frustrating but I did it and got paid without a dispute. I put up with it because of the amount. 

The customer that transferred to new guy, I was really annoyed but did it anyway. He asked for revisions after making me wait 2 weeks for auto release and like an idiot I didn't just close the contract. I did it though.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time I do it just to get paid and try my damndest to see the red flags. I haven't had an issue since May 2016 when I had the last problem and I think it's kinda cuz I tell people 1 revision now.

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
13 of 20

@Jennifer M wrote:

Am I understanding you right that you finished it and got paid and everything is final now? That's good at least.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time I do it just to get paid and try my damndest to see the red flags. I haven't had an issue since May 2016 when I had the last problem and I think it's kinda cuz I tell people 1 revision now.

Yes, I did - because it's only the way how any Upworker can decrease the losses in similar situations...

I didn't set the number of revisions before I start with the contract - my overlook here is... but anyway, it's not the "insurance" if the client initially wants to receive more than he described in the offer.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
14 of 20

@Pavel T wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

You have to be really careful about people who describe a job as simple. It's usually a red flag.

Absolutely agree with your statement! I don't know what possessed me... 

Don't beat yourself up over it! You've been doing this too long to let some loser derail you. You're done with the job, right? You did extra work for free, which blows, but you didn't get taken for a huge ride and have a whole job's worth of stuff stolen or anything like that. You protected your JSS (I would have rolled the dice on that one and used my top rated removal perk if needed, but to each his own, brother) and you got a little gut-check to remind you to listen to that voice in your head from now on. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 20

Some clients are good people, but they are psychologically incapable of understanding the fixed-price contract model.

For those clients, there is really no way to teach them or train them.

So the only thing you can do is to use hourly contracts.

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
16 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

Some clients are good people, but they are psychologically incapable of understanding the fixed-price contract model.

For those clients, there is really no way to teach them or train them.

So the only thing you can do is to use hourly contracts.

Always prefer to hourly terms... 

But did you read about  "Hourly Protection"? Too many threads in the forum how it really works.  

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
17 of 20

@Melissa T wrote:

Don't beat yourself up over it! 

Believe me, I don't 🙂

I just shared my experience - probably it could be helpful for someone here... 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
BEST ANSWER
18 of 20

@Pavel T wrote:

@Melissa T wrote:

Don't beat yourself up over it! 

Believe me, I don't 🙂

I just shared my experience - probably it could be helpful for someone here... 

high five gif.gif

View solution in original post

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 20

You did it the right way, OP. Glad you got paid. Seems you just needed a little vent. I can respect that. 

May the FL force be with you, and a pox on your dbaggary client

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
20 of 20

@Jennifer M wrote:

You did it the right way, OP. Glad you got paid. Seems you just needed a little vent. I can respect that. 

May the FL force be with you, and a pox on your dbaggary client

thx. amen! 🙂

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS