🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client deceived me
Page options
julyanh
Community Member

The client deceived me

The client deceived me, received the finished work and did not pay for the order. Is ignoring me at the moment, what can I do?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
NikolaS

Hi Steinfeld,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You were not hired for this job and shouldn't have provided any work until your client has sent you an offer and a contract was created under your My Jobs tab.

Please check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

~ Nikola
Upwork
julyanh
Community Member

The client said that first he would need one photo and if he likes then four more. After submitting the example, he said that he liked everything, but he began to ignore me. It seems to me that he initially needed one photo.

shummas
Community Member

Steinfeld A wrote:

The client said that first he would need one photo and if he likes then four more. After submitting the example, he said that he liked everything, but he began to ignore me. It seems to me that he initially needed one photo.

While I cannot say this for all clients, but this is a common tactic where scammers interview multiple candidates and ask every candidate to do a test task for them. Essentially, these clients get their entire project done for free by distributing bits and pieces among various freelancers under the guise of a "test task" with a promise for unlimited work in the future (but that of course, never happens). Mostly, these types of clients target new freelancers. Never work for free, not even on test tasks. If a client wants to test you, he ought to compensate you with a test work contract.

a few months back I encountered a similar proposal, and warned upwork of the scam as this client asked for numerous images and designs... however I see that she is still online. so I guess the best approach is to NEVER work for free. NO tests, no emails, no nothing. As a freelancer you have to safe guard yourself.

Hi Michele,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Could you please send me a private message with more information on your report so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
sofia2008
Community Member

Were you hired for a fixed price project or hourly on Upwork? or were you communicating outside Upwork and client said he would pay you directly?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members