🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client decided to put the job on hold...
Page options
ahordii
Community Member

The client decided to put the job on hold at the beginning of the project

Hello there!

We started some project with my new client, he funded the first milestone and set deadlines. I spent a few hours for investigation(it was a part of my job).

But on the same day later, the client said that the job can not be done for now because of some of their internal problems. And he wants to put the project on hold.

So, my question is, will this funded milestone have some negative effect on my profile? Because I can not make this job until the deadline will pass. And as I can understand, we can not change the deadline date, as a milestone is funded.

Another question, if the client after some time later decided to close the contract, it will definitely have a negative effect on my jss. Because the project will be closed without any money paid for me. How can I avoid this?

Thank you! 

10 REPLIES 10
wescowley
Community Member

The deadline in the Upwork contract really doesn't mean anything in terms if the JSS. If the contract is continued and that date passes, it doesn't matter from Upwork's perspective.

Discuss with the client the option of giving you a small payment to cover your work done to date if the contract isn't going to happen at all. They can make this payment thru a bonus.

Wes C wrote:
The deadline in the Upwork contract really doesn't mean anything in terms if the JSS. If the contract is continued and that date passes, it doesn't matter from Upwork's perspective.

Discuss with the client the option of giving you a small payment to cover your work done to date if the contract isn't going to happen at all. They can make this payment thru a bonus.

Not exactly true, Wes. If the contract goes on without a payment for longer than 2 months, their JSS will take a hit. And after 90 days, the milestone will be refunded, also a hit to the JSS. 

So yes, they need to get a small, even $1 payment on that contract to protect their JSS. But otherwise the deadline means little to Upwork. 

Yes, good point about a longer duration on hold, Amanda.
ahordii
Community Member

Hey Amanda, thank you for your clarifications.

So, any project, which opened more than 2 months without activity, is not good for jss? Even if there are no open milestones? 

Hello, I have the same situation. The client and I started to work on per hour project, after 1 day, the client asked me that they want to hold the project for some time but they will update me. Do I need to end the project? Is an ongoing project without any earning affect JSS? Thanks

Hi Qasim,

If you are referring to contracts being paused, this doesn't affect your JSS negatively. To learn more about what affects your score, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Joanne for your instant reply. 

Can you please guide me, how can I pause this contract? Do I need to ask my employer? or pause means do nothing? Please guide

Qasim B wrote:

Can you please guide me, how can I pause this contract? Do I need to ask my employer? or pause means do nothing? Please guide

You can't pause it and pausing it is meaningless anyway.

The contract won't hurt your JSS for at least 60 days (if at all) - So to be on the safe side, simply wait if the client resumes activity in the next few weeks, and if they don't, close the contract yourself before that time is up.

Thanks, Petra. It means a lot to me. A satisfying answer. 

Hey Wes, thank you for your info about deadlines.

Yes, I will try to discuss with the client some extra payment for me.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members