🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client did not activate the milestone
Page options
safaryan-tigran
Community Member

The client did not activate the milestone

From the start, the client asked me to break the project payments into 3 milestones and I agreed with him. The first milestone payment I get for start, the second milestone he activated, but when the payment date came he didn't approve the payment. But the payment was in escrow, so I get it in 14 days. He said that there are some issues and he wants to pay. After that, he didn't activate the last milestone but told me that he would do that and agreed and work for him. I asked him to activate the milestone several times and every time he answered that will do it. Now the milestone time is expired and I did all work that was required. But I want to connect with him for about 2 weeks, he didn't answer me. I want to know, can he end the contract without paying for the last milestone and write me bad feedback? And what should I do now?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

But if I end contract now from my side, can he write feedback after that? 

Yes, he will have 14 days after you end the contract to leave you a feedback. If by any chance he forgets, after 14 days he won't be able to leave feedback anymore.

As Will mentioned, if you still have money in Escrow that has not been released to you yet, ending the contract now will automatically refund the Escrow money to the client. You should wait until you receive the money. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
tagrendy
Community Member

I want to know, can he end the contract without paying for the last milestone and write me bad feedback? And what should I do now?

Yes, he can, unfortunately. The best you can do is not close the contract, and hope that he won't close either until you maybe become Top Rated. When you become top rated you will have the ability to remove a feedback ( every 3 months, 10 projects apart ). Then you can close the contract yourself. 

Maybe the client ran out of money and needs time before he can activate the last milestone. Stay patient & polite, confrontation will only make matters worse.

Thank you very much Tatevik. 

If you close the project, TIgran, without the final milestone being escrowed or paid, your client will have no reason to ever pay you for your work on that milestone.

As you probably now know, it's best not to start work on a milestone, or at least submit work on a milestone, unless it is funded and payment for all previous milestones has been released to you by Upwork or the client.

The due date you agree on a milestone is just a target date, not a true deadline as far as Upwork is concerned. Having a due date doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether the client pays you for the work done or releases payment from escrow for that milestone once your formally submitted work using the project's "Submit" button.

Yes, he will have 14 days after you end the contract to leave you a feedback. If by any chance he forgets, after 14 days he won't be able to leave feedback anymore.

As Will mentioned, if you still have money in Escrow that has not been released to you yet, ending the contract now will automatically refund the Escrow money to the client. You should wait until you receive the money. 

No, I don't have money in Escrow, because he didn't activate the last milestone. If I'll be honest, now I don't think about money, I am afraid that he will end contract from his side and write bad feedback. In that case I will lose money and get bad JSS. Is there any way to decrease the risk? 

Tigran S wrote:

I am afraid that he will end contract from his side and write bad feedback. Is there any way to decrease the risk?

Yes, by closing the contract yourself. If you close the contract, the client *could* leave feedback. If the client closes the contract, they WILL leave feedback.

Why would the client leave poor feedback anyway?

Hi, there's a client name Vikram, I'm working with him on a contract for UI/UX designing and the project price is $300 but he made me design 5 screens on an urgent basis and he put the price of that milestone only $5 and when I'm asking him to add the price of that milestone because $5 is low for designing 5 screens so he is making excuses of his card. What should I do?

Hi Muntaha,

Please keep in mind that our fixed price protection does not cover promised funds and unfunded milestones. I would recommend starting with your work once your milestone is fully funded with the agreed budget. 

If your client is experiencing any problems, you can refer them to reach out to us (Moderators) or directly to our Customer Support. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
safaryan-tigran
Community Member

Thank you for your advice Petra. 

Because he is not a good person or I don't know. The purpose can be the same, why he told me that he would activate the milestone, got all work done, but didn't activate and didn't answer to messages )))

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members