Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The client does not pay money!

Highlighted
Nina K Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
1 of 5

Dear sir or madam,

On July 8 **Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**  kindly asked me to add someone with the login "princepal" by Skype. I did so, had a talk with the employer, made a test article and was aproved for a long-term job. The employer told me they pay after each 5 articles are completed and promised to pay via Skrill. Unfortunatelly it turned out that Skrill doesn't work in his country (Indonesia) but he promised to pay by a wire transfer. However, it's more than a month since that time but he only promises to do that. I have a feeling the person is not going to pay the money and despite it is not a big amount I think it is important to notify admin support on Upwork about this problem.

Thank you and hope for your assistance in my problem 

Highlighted
Grace N Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
2 of 5

Hi Nina,

Unfortunately, I must agree with you; I don't think he's going to pay.

Working as a freelancer is great but we are also the target for a lot of scammers. The best way to ensure you get paid is to use the Upwork payment system. They will charge you 20% on whatever you make (which means you might have to clients a bit more) but they will make sure there is money to pay you and if there is a problem, they can handle it legally. One of the ways to spot a scammer is when they choose not to use the Upwork system because they don't charge employers anything so it should raise a red flag when they don't want to use the system.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Insist on being paid through the Upwork platform next time.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Rekha S Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
3 of 5

Nina,

Do you have a contract on upwork? If not, then you're doing free work as the client has no obiligation to pay.

Receiving payments outside upwork is against ToS, and you could get your account suspended.

You require an hourly or fixed job contract on the site without which Upwork can do nothing regards payment.

Talk on skype but use upwork to send the files and get paid.

Your client is most likely looking for free work. Ask them to award you the job and verify their payment method, before you continue working with them. If it's a fixed price project, have them fund a milestone first.

Best,

Rekha

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 5

You're taking payment off platform, which is a serious violation and had you read the terms you wouldn't be in this situation. I guess this is a lesson to understanding what you sign up for and following the process properly would save you time and money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

You won't be paid.

If you want to pester Upwork about it, you still won't get paid, but maybe you'll get your account suspended.

Although we sympathize with newbies who expect to earn money but don't because they made major mistakes like this, it is actually a good thing when newbies violate Upwork's policies and end up not getting paid. That means the system is working.

Learn the rules -> earn money

Skip the rules -> maybe no money

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS