🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client does not pay
Page options
29325d95
Community Member

The client does not pay

Hello!

I have a client. I have finished the job and the client does not pay and does not reply to my message.

I read some freelancers' reviews about him:  He gives a lot of requests for each version, more than the contract. He discussed the project unfriendlily.  And sometimes he pays less than the contract.

What should I do? 😞

4 REPLIES 4
a_lipsey
Community Member

Huong N wrote:

Hello!

I have a client. I have finished the job and the client does not pay and does not reply to my message.

I read some freelancers' reviews about him:  He gives a lot of requests for each version, more than the contract. He discussed the project unfriendlily.  And sometimes he pays less than the contract.

What should I do? 😞

It is hourly or fixed? If it's hourly, you will get paid after the week is over and the review time is up. If it's fixed, use the "Submit Work for Payment" button. If he does nothing after 14 days the payment will be released to you. Did you stipulate a number of revisions in the contract? 

I made a contract with 2 revisions but In the fact I did more than it (4-5revisions) 🙂.
Thank you so much for the information.
I learned so much from this contract.
I will choose the client carefully and make sure everything before sign the contract 😉

re: "I have a client. I have finished the job and the client does not pay and does not reply to my message.

I read some freelancers' reviews about him: He gives a lot of requests for each version, more than the contract. He discussed the project unfriendlily. And sometimes he pays less than the contract."

Unfortunately, Upwork CAN NOT manage this for you. As a freelancer, you need to be the one who manages fixed-price contracts.

One of the most important things for you to learn is that a client may NOT ask for revisions or out-of-scope work unless you (the freelancer) allow him to. And you should NOT allow him to.

A successfuly freelancer who uses Upwork effectively basically does one of two things:

- stops a client from asking for ANY out-of-scope work and has the client create new milestones

[or]

- moves the client to an hourly contract.

Fortunately for you, the Upwork Community Forum is active and helpful and friendly. You are always welcome to come here and seek advice from experienced Upwork users.

re: "Did you stipulate a number of revisions in the contract?"

Amanda is right. When using fixed-price contracts, it is important to address this before accepting a contract, so that there is clarity. Many clients may not actually be bad people, but may simply NOT understand how fixed-price contracts work.

You can help your clients by being very specific about this point.

Your contract agreement can include statements such as:

"When the task is completed, it will be submitted and payment will be released; this task includes no 'revisions', but revisions can be requested by agreement to an additional fixed-price milestone task or by setting up an hourly contract."

[or]

"This task includes 2 rounds of revisions, if necessary, each of which is limited to 10 minutes of work."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths