🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client ended the contract before I logged...
Page options
zed-inc
Community Member

The client ended the contract before I logged in the hours.

Hello Upwork, I was working with a client and we agreed upon a price for a job. I completed the job and then the client ended the contract before I logged in the hours. Is there any chance of getting my money for the work I did?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Abdul R wrote:

Is there any chance of getting my money for the work I did?

Only if the client pays you as a bonus. 

Why didn't you use the tracker?

zed-inc
Community Member

There was an option of manual hours because we send the work to one of our team members.

prestonhunter
Community Member

A client may end a contract at any time. And in doing so, the client has done nothing wrong.

As a freelancer, it is my responsibility to understand how Upwork works generally, and how hourly contracts work specifically if I am hired to use an hourly contract.

As a client, I often work with newbies. I have sometimes found that they don't log time properly, and I send them some notes about how to do it. Sometimes I see that a newbie freelancer hasn't logged any time when the project is over, and I just pay them using a bonus payment.

But there is absolutely no rule that a client needs to do those things.

Abdul:
You are indeed allowed to ask the client to pay you. But if the client does not do so, you need to respect that this is over and you will not be paid. You might try sending a single message:

"Gloria:
Thank you for the opportunity to work on your project. I am sorry that I did not log my time properly while doing so. I worked for 2 hours but I am so new to Upwork that I didn't know I was supposed to track that time. If you could use the client-side Send Bonus' tool (under the Three Dots icon next to the contract listing) to send a payment for that time, it would be very much appreciated."

Thank you for responding. But how could a client suddenly end the contract when we've agreed upon the terms and I've delivered the work?

re: "But how could a client suddenly end the contract when we've agreed upon the terms and I've delivered the work?"

This means that you do not understand Upwork enough. You need to study more if you want to be successful.

You lack a basic understanding of how hourly contracts work.

re: "There was an option of manual hours because we send the work to one of our team members."

This also shows us that you do not understand important Upwork rules.

In this situation, the client did nothing wrong.

The freelancer made critical mistakes and also violated an important Upwork rule.

Abdul,

You should not use Upwork again to try to earn any money until you can answer these questions:

a) What was the important Upwork rule which Abdul violated - a rule violation which could lead to account termination if he breaks this rule again in the future?
b) What was the critical mistake that Abdul made when he worked on this hourly contact - a mistake which caused him to not get paid?

(If you really can not answer these questions, we will help you answer them. But first I would like to see if you can answer these questions yourself without help.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members