Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The client is harassing and bullying me online

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
61 of 71

Steven wrote:

Its a reallity also that Upwork have outsourced the arbitration.  

But its not true that they have to

Where did you get that from? Again, you know what, exactly, about the legal framework governing US Escrow Agents?

You make bold statements. Back them up.

You call people (including a lawyer based in the relevant jurisdiction) liars. Yet so far there hasn't been a hint of a fact from you. Just vague, fluffy, magical unicorn, rhetoric.

Steven wrote:
And that is really what this is about, because its impossible to get paid $100 if the client refuses to pay.

Nonsense. It is not "impossible."

Ace Contributor
Steven S Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
65 of 71

Personal comments again.  

Is it possible to stick to a neutral topic of conversation and avoid hostility?

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
65 of 71

No, Steven. That isn't possible for everyone. Smarmy and condescending are where some people think they need to be with their commentary.

Such is life on the interweb...

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
65 of 71

Steven S wrote:

Personal comments again.  

Is it possible to stick to a neutral topic of conversation and avoid hostility?

Pro tip: Your choosing to take things personally is what makes it fun to write and read sarcastic comments. There is always a peanut gallery following threads like this, so much more entertaining than "How can I tell if my profile is approved?" and "I did a job for a client who was in too much of a hurry to set up a contract and now I'm sad because I haven't been paid," and "My client was mean to me, what should I do?"

Ace Contributor
65 of 71

At least I am providing entertainment for the masses.  

But seriously, this thread was started by Melvin who had a $100 job.   He was not paid, bullied and is feeling the lack of recourse.  And that is really what this is about, because its impossible to get paid $100 if the client refuses to pay.   

One suggestion was : pay the $291 fee and hope that the client backs down.  But that moves into a branch of maths called "game theory", or "what if?".   How about, we focus on the problem of Melvin (who lives in Australia) who did his job and now wants to get paid for it.    None of the current responses I have read, actually suggest a realistic way around the problem.  I don't have a better answer at this point, but then its not my platform or business model.

Community Guru
66 of 71

Solving this particular problem--which is intrinsic to freelancing--is not and has never been a component of UW's business model. You keep insisting that it should be, yet offer no practical means of addressing it. Meanwhile, several veteran FLs with firsthand experience in dispute situations on UW have offered on-point, practical advice and CS is assisting Melvin, said assistance characterized by him as "professional and extremely helpful". 

You can't risk-proof freelancing. There's a reason operating a small business is often referred to as a "business venture."

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
67 of 71
Phyllis G wrote:

Solving this particular problem--which is intrinsic to freelancing--is not and has never been a component of UW's business model. You keep insisting that it should be, yet offer no practical means of addressing it. Meanwhile, several veteran FLs with firsthand experience in dispute situations on UW have offered on-point, practical advice and CS is assisting Melvin, said assistance characterized by him as "professional and extremely helpful". 

You can't risk-proof freelancing. There's a reason operating a small business is often referred to as a "business venture."

Or sometimes, as often happens with newcomers to Upwork, as business misadventures. 

Ace Contributor
68 of 71

Phyllis, I assume that you must have inside information on this, which clrealy I do not.  I would be very pleased if the original proble was sorted out.

I don't see why expecting at the very least, a level playing field, is asking too much.  here's a quote for you:

In economics, Gresham's law is a monetary principle stating that "bad moneydrives out good".

Or to put it in our terms : whoever cheats second, loses.  The only way to prevent cheaters from getting away with all the time, is to have a level playing field where they will get caught out.  Preston H put it very well earlier : payment must be made;  if the work is shoddy, the contract can be stopped.  At the very least, we freelancers expect to get paid for our work.  Why isn't it Upwork's business model, that we are all treated fairly? Are you speaking personally or as an Upwork rep?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
69 of 71

Hi All,

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread for Community Guidelines.

I would just like to ask you to keep the conversation professional and avoid personal attacks.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
70 of 71

Steven S wrote:

Phyllis, I assume that you must have inside information on this, which clrealy I do not.  I would be very pleased if the original proble was sorted out.

I don't see why expecting at the very least, a level playing field, is asking too much.  here's a quote for you:

In economics, Gresham's law is a monetary principle stating that "bad moneydrives out good".

Or to put it in our terms : whoever cheats second, loses.  The only way to prevent cheaters from getting away with all the time, is to have a level playing field where they will get caught out.  Preston H put it very well earlier : payment must be made;  if the work is shoddy, the contract can be stopped.  At the very least, we freelancers expect to get paid for our work.  Why isn't it Upwork's business model, that we are all treated fairly? Are you speaking personally or as an Upwork rep?

I have no access to "inside information" on anything, nor is it clear why you think I do.

I don't know why UW's business model is not built on a mission to ensure your definition of fair treatment. You need to ask UW. I would guess it's because they are trying to run a profitable business. (Not that it's evident from some of their recent choices about platform functionality, but that's a different thread.) 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS