🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client is not willing to use UpWork a...
Page options
4d2534d3
Community Member

The client is not willing to use UpWork as a way of payment...

I´m new here in UpWork. A Job opening I was interested in my Proposal asked me to contact them via Telegram. I did. 

Once we are there, she says that they don´t go thru UpWork for doing business and I refused to continue. First of all, it will be risky for me, but most of all, I guess they are used to doing it with other Freelancers. 

Is there a way you can report them? I did not find any option to do so. 

3 REPLIES 3
singlasumit
Community Member

Firstly, thank you for considering not working with the client. You can go to the job posting and click the 'Flag as inappropriate' option. That should give you the page that I've attached a screenshot of.

ericaandrews
Community Member

That is a SCAM.  There are 'telegram' scams all over this site. It not a legitimate contract. Not a legitimate client. You are not going to 'earn' any money from this client.  The only thing that will happen is you will get scammed:  Money taken from you or your identity stolen.

It is a VIOLATION of Upwork Terms of Service for YOU and/or the CLIENT to work OUTSIDE of Upwork.  Period.  It is a violation of the Terms of Service to even DISCUSS the job outside of Upwork before a Contract has been issued and accepted by both parties. That person is asking you to violate the rules and they are violating the rules.  

You need to REPORT this person to upwork as a scammer:  Go to the EXACT Upwork Message where the person asked you to use Telegram.  To the LEFT of the 'time stamp', you'll see a 'Settings' wheel appear.  When you click that wheel, there is an option to report the message / person.

ericaandrews_0-1646244255650.png

I would then select 'It's something else', and then explain the person is running a Telegram scam and trying to get you to work outside of Upwork.

ericaandrews_1-1646244295296.png

After you have done that, you then should BLOCK the person so they cannot contact you ever again.

Just click their NAME that's in big bold letters at the very top of the Upwork chat with that client.  You will see an option to BLOCK that person in the menu.

NikolaS

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

I see Sumit and CJ have already shared information about how you can report suspicious activity. I advise you to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths