🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client pays outside Upwork and took money
Page options
bulanyk_olesia
Community Member

The client pays outside Upwork and took money

Dears, 

Do Upwork helps with such cases. If it is possible to get paid for work through Upwork and get back the money given to them?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

18 REPLIES 18
celgins
Community Member

Olesia,

There is too much personal and business information in those documents, so the Upwork Moderators will edit this post.

I am not exactly sure what happened in your case, but clients are not allowed to contact you through Upwork and request payment outside of Upwork. You should not communicate with clients outside of Upwork until you have an Upwork contract in-place.

bobafett999
Community Member

Short answer- NO.  Why did you enter into such arrangement?

I didn't no that policy, thought of it like option. I didn't they are fraud. Had to contact the police. 

Don't you know where I can go with this contract to receive payment?

re: "I didn't know that policy"

Well... Now you know.

re: "Had to contact the police."

Don't bother contacting police. This isn't a police matter. They won't do anything.

re: "Don't you know where I can go with this contract to receive payment?"

You can't receive payment.

This is over.

Learn from your mistakes and move on.

I've contacted CyberPolice and they told me that they can help to return money. 

Well, please let us know how that turns out.

Is there an outfit called cyber police?

We have CyberPolice in our country. As I paid for Ukrainian cards they can assist me. 

Yes, sure. As soon as I have the result I will inform.

I've already passed the claim to bank. 

bobafett999
Community Member

If you didn't know the policy that is your mistake.  You need to read up on many resources Upwork provides.   And remember ignorance is not a valid excuse.

Yes, I understand. But they involved me to speak outside the Upwork. I read after on how it should be. I talked to them to go to Upwork, register contract and pay through Upwork, but they want me to give money. 

You learned from this.

Do you have any remaining questions?

I am consulting with lawyers, maybe I can go with this document somewhere and take money due to the contract as I want make them to pay for work after these activities.

And I want to read what Support and Moderator will tell.

Actually no, no more questions. Thank you!

Olesia B wrote:

Yes, I understand. But they involved me to speak outside the Upwork. I read after on how it should be. I talked to them to go to Upwork, register contract and pay through Upwork, but they want me to give money. 

I'm afraid you won't get anything.
If I understand correctly, you have broken the Upwork TOS, so you have no defense.

So forget about this. Do you realize that you can lose your account?

Do yourself a favor and read. You can start here:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1222058#M731117

Especially the TOS and the post about scams.

23c44bea
Community Member

In the states , if you ghave contact information you may be able to taker them to civil court. Otherwise it's a loss. Good luck

Well, I don't want court, but it seems to me that this is decision. But I'm not in the USA. I will check it with police in our country. Maybe they can advise me or assist. 

Yes, I realize. I will wait what they will tell. I want to here how they decide on this dispute.

bulanyk_olesia
Community Member

Can you advise me what laws regulate the fees for e-wallets and their suspension?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members