🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client "John Snow Labs" is fraud. Mad...
Page options
kennethsilvere93
Community Member

The client "" is fraud. Made me build an app, congratulated me, then won't respond.

The client **Edited for community guidelines** did a skype interview, asked me to make an app according to their requirements with in a week, checked my work, loved it, congratulated me, welcomed me to the team, then won't repond. I spent lot of time building the app, used my own money to host it and use a cloud back end service in it's functioning. This is very cheap and unprofessional of them. If there was some problem and can't hire me (even after they congratulated me and welcomed me to the team), the could have atleast let me know that they ditched me.

I just wanna give a heads up to whoever may come across that client.

Link to their job post:**Edited for community guidelines**

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Kenneth S wrote:

The client "XXXX XXXXX XXXXX" did a skype interview, asked me to make an app according to their requirements with in a week, checked my work, loved it, congratulated me, welcomed me to the team, then won't repond. I spent lot of time building the app, used my own money to host it and use a cloud back end service in it's functioning. This is very cheap and unprofessional of them. If there was some problem and can't hire me (even after they congratulated me and welcomed me to the team), the could have atleast let me know that they ditched me.

Were you actually *HIRED* ?

Payment.jpg

The client has spent over 1 Million on Upwork and has a high hire rate. I don't think this is a fraud

wescowley
Community Member

All of those attachments and the job link are going to get removed as soon as a mod sees this, but from what I can tell you were never actually hired to do this work, were you?  Did the client make an offer that you accepted in Upwork?  Is there a contract on your My Jobs screen?  

I'm guessing not, in which case you gave them an app for free and there's nothing you can do about it at this point except to learn from it. Don't do work without a contract.

Ofcourse I was not hired, there are a lot of people like me who'll do it as part of an interview process. All you're gonna say is to those people is it's bad luck and learn from it? We can atleast give people a heads up, not letting them go through the same thing.

Kenneth S wrote:

We can atleast give people a heads up, not letting them go through the same thing.

Not on Upwork's forum you can't, no.

And a client who has a high hire rate and spent well in excess on the platform is deidedly not "a fraud."

Kenneth S wrote:

Ofcourse I was not hired, there are a lot of people like me who'll do it as part of an interview process.

Sure there are. That does not make their clients frauds.

Fine, take down the post. I'm just a freelancer, and they made you guys a million dollars.

lol I think he's jumping the gun but it's weird that they are sending his resume to HR to be "hired." Usually, that means payment outside of Upwork. But the client has spent $1million on the platform, so Upwork tends to let some of that stuff slide with bigger clients so who knowssssss what's going on here.

OP jumped the gun though. I woulda waited until the end of this month to write this one off.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

OP jumped the gun though. I woulda waited until the end of this month to write this one off.

Big clients do tend to have lengthy processes including going through HR for approval- I agree he jumped the gun, but after calling a huge client like that "fraud" on a public forum I would guess the job will not be his.

Clients like that don't take too kindly to libel.

The chap OP was talking to was obviously a recruiter for the client, (hence him saying "The customer ..." ) not even the client themselves.

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Big clients do tend to have lengthy processes including going through HR for approval- I agree he jumped the gun, but after calling a huge client like that "fraud" on a public forum I would guess the job will not be his.

Clients like that don't take too kindly to libel.

The chap OP was talking to was obviously a recruiter for the client, (hence him saying "The customer ..." ) not even the client themselves.

Yep, it was a dumb thing to do. The client is obviously not a scammer jeeez.

This is why noobs can't make any money on Upwork. Someone who has been through the hiring process would have just recognized it's a big client and the hiring process tends to take a month (sometimes longer) for all the paperwork to go through. Good grief.

Miss Jennifer. You are welcome to take down this post. I was counting on this job, I put in a lot of effort and the guy who congratuled me can be found on the **Edited for community guidelines** wesbite, so I would think he's the client. I've worked at some of the world's biggest organizations and know how the hiring process works. You can check my profile.

There is no other way I can contact customer support on Upwork other than this forum. Calling me a noob and saying I can't make money would only aggravate me, just like the first guy who replied to me did. I would have just backed out if it wasn't for him.

I apologize to all the people who's time I've wasted.

Kenneth S wrote:

.I've worked at some of the world's biggest organizations and know how the hiring process works.

And yet, here you are...

Kenneth S wrote:

Miss Jennifer. You are welcome to take down this post.

No matter how many other freelancers you invite to take down your post, none of us will have that authority or ability.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Kenneth,

I checked and weren't able to locate the conversation with the client that you are referring to on Upwork. I assume all of the discussion happened outside of Upwork, on Skype. If you have screenshots of the client's messages asking you to complete work, feel free to send them to me via a private message (click on my name here and you'll see the button.)

I'd also recommend communicating with the client directly to clarify if there is any misunderstanding. As others pointed out on this thread, the interview process and hiring can sometimes take longer for clients with larger teams. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Miss Valerie,

Thank you for your kind and professional response. I will ping you the screenshot in the private chat. I was able to contact the client today, turns out he congratulated me too soon, and tried to avoid the siutation. They themselves got ditched by whoever they were working with.

Kenneth

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths