🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client wants a refund after giving a good...
Page options
martiandeveloper
Community Member

The client wants a refund after giving a good review.

I've worked with the client for a fixed price. We've ended the contract and he was happy with the result and he gave me a good review. Then one day after he started to keep asking a new design changes. Even the contract is ended, I've done those changes, but today he requested a refund for a no reason. Can he do that, what should I do now?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Can the client ask for a refund after the contract is closed?

Yes.

Clearly the client CAN do that. You know he can do that, because he did that.

Is it right for him to do that?

No.

What this client did was unprofessional, unethical and immoral.

What should YOU do?

Well, the first thing you need to do is to understand that you don't owe this person a refund. He is essentially just clicking a button to see if the he can get money back. In doing so, he is essentially ignoring the fact that you are real human being.

Second, no matter what you do, you must remain polite, respectful and professional in your communication with this client. And with everyone one Upwork.

Third, keep in mind that this contract is already closed. The client has very little leverage here. He can not give you a bad review. The review has already been given. He can not change your review. He can not refuse to release escrow money to you. The money has already been released. However, there is a period of time after a contract has been closed where a determined client can still contact customer support and dispute a payment. The more time that goes by, the less ability he has to do anything at all. So time is on your side.

In MOST cases like this, a client simply clicked a button thinking maybe he can get money back. The client has absolutely no basis for asking for that money back, and he knows it. So if either the freelancer or Upwork asks them about it, the client will be too embarrassed to even respond, and the matter will be over.

What you can do is if the request for a refund came to you informally as a message is you can respond in a simple, benign way, such as "Thank you for your note. If you could please elaborate and explain then I will carefully take a few days to read over your comments and get back to you."

If Upwork itself sends you any questions or requests a response from you, then reply quickly. Simply tell them that you do not agree to a refund and tell them what you told us, that the client was satisfied and already approved the work. You may mention that the client has not talked to you about a refund request and you assume the request was made in error.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Can the client ask for a refund after the contract is closed?

Yes.

Clearly the client CAN do that. You know he can do that, because he did that.

Is it right for him to do that?

No.

What this client did was unprofessional, unethical and immoral.

What should YOU do?

Well, the first thing you need to do is to understand that you don't owe this person a refund. He is essentially just clicking a button to see if the he can get money back. In doing so, he is essentially ignoring the fact that you are real human being.

Second, no matter what you do, you must remain polite, respectful and professional in your communication with this client. And with everyone one Upwork.

Third, keep in mind that this contract is already closed. The client has very little leverage here. He can not give you a bad review. The review has already been given. He can not change your review. He can not refuse to release escrow money to you. The money has already been released. However, there is a period of time after a contract has been closed where a determined client can still contact customer support and dispute a payment. The more time that goes by, the less ability he has to do anything at all. So time is on your side.

In MOST cases like this, a client simply clicked a button thinking maybe he can get money back. The client has absolutely no basis for asking for that money back, and he knows it. So if either the freelancer or Upwork asks them about it, the client will be too embarrassed to even respond, and the matter will be over.

What you can do is if the request for a refund came to you informally as a message is you can respond in a simple, benign way, such as "Thank you for your note. If you could please elaborate and explain then I will carefully take a few days to read over your comments and get back to you."

If Upwork itself sends you any questions or requests a response from you, then reply quickly. Simply tell them that you do not agree to a refund and tell them what you told us, that the client was satisfied and already approved the work. You may mention that the client has not talked to you about a refund request and you assume the request was made in error.

Thank you for your answer. I will definitely follow your instructions.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Murad,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you`ve had. I would recommend communicating further with your client about this and possibly coming to a positive agreement for both sides. If you have any additional questions, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you. I didn't expect this from the client because we had good communication. I'll try to follow your instructions.

I agree with Goran that you should communicate with the client.

But don't RUSH this communication.

Really TAKE YOUR TIME to truly understand the client's concerns.

Preston H wrote:

But don't RUSH this communication.

Really TAKE YOUR TIME to truly understand the client's concerns.

The client has 30 days to dispute and taking days to respond in the hope of it eventually getting too late for the client to dispute will only make them angry. That will make it more likely that there is a dispute, not less.

Silly, childish games are not the way forwards, professional behaviour and grown up communication is, especially over such a paltry amount.

Thank you for your answer. I'll try to do what is best.

Hello, my client wants to cancel the refund request, and he is wondering how he can do that. Can you please tell me how the client cancel the refund request? I've clicked the request and it opens "give-refund" page and there are "Add/Edit" and "Give refund" options

Hi Murad,

I would like to confirm that there's no need for any additional actions. Our team will reach out to your client as well and will assist them further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Murad:

I am glad that this worked out so well for you.

It sounds like the client made a mistake but was willing to to do the right thing in the end.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members