🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The client was a liar, but I still return...
Page options
mike_hurin
Community Member

The client was a liar, but I still returned the money to him to save time and satisfy the "client".

The client tried in every possible way to fool me. It was a fixed project and I had to add 3 functions to his site, but in the end he asked me to do a lot more (too much) and I did it anyway. After which he said that the site is not a pixel perfect, although he asked to make it rubber (adaptive). I opened a dispute and he still tried to fool me. From the side of Upwork, for a week no one connected and decided which of us was right, so I closed the dispute and gave the money to the client. After which my JSS crashed. How can I remove this conflict from my story and return JSS to 100%? I am a beginner freelancer, this was my third order. It really upset me, please help! Thank you so much for any help!

4 REPLIES 4
hoyle_editing
Community Member

I dont think you can - You refunded the client and as such have a closed non paying contract. 

In a dispute Upwork do not decide a winner/looser - they just try to mediate the situation, IF that doesnt work you can pay to take the case to arbitration (around $290 i think).

In future do not open or close disputes lightly, they can damage your JSS and its always better to try and resolve issues in other ways from what i can tell.

I'm afraid you will probably have to put this down to experiance - unless one of the more experianced freelancers here can tell you otherwise.

Some things to bear in mind for future.....

Closed contracts with nothing ever paid on them (or refunded contracts) will harm your JSS

Open contracts with nothing ever paid on them for a period of time (2+ months) can harm your JSS

Closing a whole bunch of contracts all at the same time with no feedback could also harm JSS

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mykhailo,

I'm really sorry about the issue that arose on this contract. Unfortunately, I see the dispute has been closed before the mediation process started but the good news is that you can improve your score by successfully completing other contracts. You can find useful tips for improving your score in this Help article.

I followed up on your complaint about the long delay with receiving an update from our Dispute team and it appears the dispute was closed the same day it was initiated.

I'm sure you'll soon receive additional advice from experienced freelancers but feel free to follow up if you have any questions or concerns, we're here for you. From my experience, even as a new freelancer with a few completed contract, I can assure you that you can get your score back if you follow the best practice advice we shared in the Help article above and in the resources we compiled here.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Mykhailo H wrote:

The client tried in every possible way to fool me. It was a fixed project and I had to add 3 functions to his site, but in the end he asked me to do a lot more (too much) and I did it anyway. After which he said that the site is not a pixel perfect, although he asked to make it rubber (adaptive). I opened a dispute and he still tried to fool me. From the side of Upwork, for a week no one connected and decided which of us was right, so I closed the dispute and gave the money to the client. After which my JSS crashed. How can I remove this conflict from my story and return JSS to 100%? I am a beginner freelancer, this was my third order. It really upset me, please help! Thank you so much for any help!

The job was already closed and feedback given at the point of the dispute, so you should have just fought to get some money for your frustrations. If it was <$100, you can push for arbitration and Upwork will just pay you both out. The only thing you can do is wait it out for 6 months when the bad feedback drops out of the JSS calculation. Just make sure you only take jobs that you know you can do to avoid any more bad feedback.

tlsanders
Community Member

For future reference, the time to ask for advice here is before you do things like close the dispute and give money back to your client. I'm not being snarky or trying to make you feel bad--just pointing this out because freelancers often come here looking for help AFTER they've broken something badly enough that we have nothing useful to offer. When in doubt, ask first. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths