🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The consequences of an exclusive agency m...
Page options
florydev
Community Member

The consequences of an exclusive agency member leaving

One of the perks of being FeatCon, besides having to see my face every 15 seconds or so, is people ask me questions beyond my experience here and I usually ask them to post it here and they usually don't.  Since this one I am curious about I will post it.

So, I have a guy who is talking about leaving an agency for which he is an exclusive member.  He is worried about losing his work history, which I don't think is a problem.  

But what else should he be worried about?

I think he should be worried about if his account is approved at all and also he has a 100% JSS showing but looking at his history I can't see that is the case.  Am I right about these problems and are there other problems I am not seeing?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

So, I have a guy who is talking about leaving an agency for which he is an exclusive member.  He is worried about losing his work history, which I don't think is a problem.  

I think he should be worried about if his account is approved at all and also he has a 100% JSS showing but looking at his history I can't see that is the case. 

I've already told him what to do this morning? (he needs to speak to Support)

He can't leave the agency without either the agency releasing him, or Upwork "setting him free"

He has a 100% JSS despite 3 foul feedback from the same client (which makes me think the client is one of those "problem-clients" whose feedback is automatically excluded from a freelancer's JSS.

Mark F wrote:

Am I right about these problems and are there other problems I am not seeing?

Just tell him to contact Support if the agency refuses to release him.

Like I already told him hours ago.

Sigh.

E.t.a: His profile is accepted so no issue there.

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I think he should be worried about if his account is approved at all and also he has a 100% JSS showing but looking at his history I can't see that is the case. 

I've already told him what to do this morning? (he needs to speak to Support)

He can't leave the agency without either the agency releasing him, or Upwork "setting him free"

He has a 100% JSS despite 3 foul feedback from the same client (which makes me think the client is one of those "problem-clients" whose feedback is automatically excluded from a freelancer's JSS.

Mark F wrote:

Am I right about these problems and are there other problems I am not seeing?

Just tell him to contact Support if the agency refuses to release him.

Like I already told him hours ago.

Sigh.

E.t.a: His profile is accepted so no issue there.

I have seriously considered replying back to all of them that they should just talk to Petra!

So, I did google back on this issue and at one point it sounds like the JSS shown was from the agency and not the member, so that is no longer the case?

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

I have seriously considered replying back to all of them that they should just talk to Petra!

Don't you dare... 😉 (I enjoy chatting to my pals via DM, I do not enjoy drowning in what are essentially support-requests...)

Mark F wrote:

So, I did google back on this issue and at one point it sounds like the JSS shown was from the agency and not the member, so that is no longer the case?

Even if that were the case, the agency could not have a JSS of 100% with 3 foul feedbacks in their very limited 6 month-window. So that is not it either.

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Don't you dare... 😉 (I enjoy chatting to my pals via DM, I do not enjoy drowning in what are essentially support-requests...)

Suddenly, I feel so powerful.

Petra R wrote:

Even if that were the case, the agency could not have a JSS of 100% with 3 foul feedbacks in their very limited 6 month-window. So that is not it either.

See, didn't even think about it bringing down the agencies JSS.  

petra_r
Community Member

Michael J wrote:

An Exclusive Agency Member's JSS reflects that of the agency. If they leave the agency, then the JSS will be calculated solely based on the contracts they have completed themselves (whether through the agency or on their own). The agency's JSS is based on the contracts completed under the agency and will not change due to an agency member leaving.

We are well aware of that. That wasn't the question anyway.

And as the 3 poor outcomes (all from the same client) are in both the agency's and the freelancer's 6 month window, if they counted, neither the agency's, nor the freelancer's JSS, exclusive or not, could be 100%. Hence, those three outcomes don't count and don't hurt the JSS of either the agency and the freelancer's profile.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was responding to this comment 🙂

Cheers,
Mike
petra_r
Community Member

Mike J wrote:

I was responding to this comment 🙂

Yup 🙂

Mark was responding to my comment about it being irrelevant whether the freelancer's JSS was borrowed from the agency, because the poor feedback to the freelancer he noticed would have affected the agency *IF* it was counted, which it can't be because 3 poor feedback in a limited 6 months window would prevent a 100% JSS in any and all cases unless the client's feedback is excluded because they were flagged as a problematic client.

Simples 😄

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mark,

An Exclusive Agency Member's JSS reflects that of the agency. If they leave the agency, then the JSS will be calculated solely based on the contracts they have completed themselves (whether through the agency or on their own). The agency's JSS is based on the contracts completed under the agency and will not change due to an agency member leaving.

-Mike

Cheers,
Mike

Mike J wrote:

Hi Mark,

-Mike

Thanks Mike, Petra has it righta bout what I am asking but it is always good to throw out good info.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths