cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The default payment currency is USD, right?

Highlighted
rhys c Member Since: May 18, 2017
11 of 23

I agree that the lack of USD is confusing. We have just posted our first job for $2500 and started interviewing people only to realise its now out of our budget being from Australia and now having to cough up $3368 to honor the budget. We now have to cancel and re post our job with the lower budget.

Doesn't help our credibility or image as a prospective employer.

regards,

Rhys

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 23

Hi Rhys, 

I've shared this again to the team for their consideration. We apologise if this has caused any confusion. To confirm, all budgets and rates on the platform are based in USD and not AUD.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Tysha C Member Since: Feb 1, 2018
13 of 23

Hi Avery,

I recently read that I am being paid in US currency, however I am a Canadian resident. I wanted to know whether or not the funds I've received will change into my local currency when they are transferred into my bank account? Or will they remain at the US price?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
14 of 23

Hi Tysha,

Transaction in Upwork is always in USD and once it gets transferred to your bank account, it will be exchanged on your local currency. The exchange rate when processing the payment are subject to fluctuating rates of the foreign exchange market. Your bank will determine the exchange rate you will receive.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
Highlighted
Aurora L Member Since: Nov 27, 2019
15 of 23

Hi Avery,
Does Upwork say this anywhere when you're signing up or posting a job? I just got that shock of assuming my price that I was typing in $$ was AUS dollars, and suddenly realising it was in US dollars (which is much more right now)........ it says "US $" nowhere though??

Aurora

Highlighted
Danielle G Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
16 of 23

Thanks for asking this question Karyn, 

I was wondering about this too! I assumed that Upwork was automatically showing me freelancer fees in AUD. Glad I checked!

Highlighted
Fiona A Member Since: May 4, 2017
17 of 23
I'm a newbie too and wholeheartedly agree that it would weed out a lot of confusion if AUD or USD was mentioned. And even a feature that told me In the country currency for proposal but what it also equals in my own currency. Eg submit US$10 AUD$5
Highlighted
Karelin V Member Since: May 22, 2017
18 of 23

As another newbie. I definitely agree with the idea of just adding the "USD" next to the bid prices and hourly rates and such. (I mean ill convert but that would definitely help a lot of people I feel.

Highlighted
Cameron G Member Since: Jul 1, 2017
19 of 23

I am not a newbie. This problem has caught me out about 3 times and just now, again wasted 30 minutes of my time digging to try to find a straight answer.

This is an international platform. It is a small thing but can have big implications.

Simple to fix. You have the world of talent at your fingertips to be able to insert USD in front of any $ sign. You could even make it regional so that it only displays to vistors outside the US.

I am thankful for this post. Adding my vote for this to become a feature.

Highlighted
Aurora L Member Since: Nov 27, 2019
20 of 23

Totally agree with Cameron! Also considering his post was made in 2017 and I, a current newbie in 2019, am still getting confused.. I think Upwork should address the issue and add "USD" asap.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS