Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The definition of bad feedback

mircalla
Ace Contributor
Sonja K Member Since: Jan 10, 2017
1 of 14

I've seen people talking about it, but I haven't come across a definition. According to Upwork criteria, of course, and I'm talking about public feedback. 

So, what is it? Is it anything below 5.0? 

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
2 of 14

Sonja --

I'm not sure that it makes any sense to ask this question, really. Upwork's criteria for "bad" feedback would matter (it seems to me) only within a context in which Upwork actually designated feedback as "bad."  However, Upwork doesn't designate feedback with adjectives such as "good," "bad," "neutral," "meh," or even "repetitive," "boring," "accurate," "inaccurate," "amusing," "inarticulate," etc.

What I mean is this:  feedback is numerical. It is up to a client or a freelancer to determine whether the numbers are "good," "bad," or "indifferent." The numerical feedback is part of the JSS calculation. But JSS itself is also numerical only, and not descriptive, except insofar as the designator "Top-Rated" goes. While we would all like to achieve and maintain 100% JSS, that is rare. It is up to an individual client to determine what constitutes a "good," a "bad," or a "meh" JSS. Upwork offers no such designation--except that a 90%-plus JSS is a necessary (but not sufficient) component of a freelancer being "Top-Rated."  (But note that Upwork doesn't specify what a "good" or a "bad" JSS is, generally speaking.)

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 14

Perhaps the phrasing could be more precise, but I think it is a question worth asking for those who are concerned with JSS. We know (or believe we do) that there's a cliff with regard to private feedback--a client who says 7/10 in response to the likelihood that he'd recommend you, for example, is apparently providing "negative" feedback that has a detrimental impact on JSS. 

We don't know what the similar turning point for star ratings is. A lot of people have reported seeing JSS drop significantly after receiving a rating above 4, so it seems that a similarly rigorous standard may be in play.

Outside that narrow issue, I would say that it's entirely meaningless, since different people giving ratings are applying different standards. 

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 14

Tiffany S wrote:

...We know (or believe we do) that there's a cliff with regard to private feedback--a client who says 7/10 in response to the likelihood that he'd recommend you, for example, is apparently providing "negative" feedback that has a detrimental impact on JSS.

We don't know what the similar turning point for star ratings is. A lot of people have reported seeing JSS drop significantly after receiving a rating above 4, so it seems that a similarly rigorous standard may be in play.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, when you put it that way, this question makes complete sense. The idea that there is a non-linear sort of "blackballing" going on within the JSS calculation/algorithm does warrant Sonja's question. If there is, indeed, a "cliff," off of which feedback scores can fall, it would be very useful for both freelancers and clients to know this.

Of course, the fact that it would be useful doesn't mean that the knowledge will be disclosed. Indeed, because Upwork fears that such knowledge could be used to manipulate JSS scores, the fact that such information would be useful, virtually guarantees that it will never be disclosed.

mircalla
Ace Contributor
5 of 14

Nope, that's exactly how I wanted to ask the question. Suppose you have all heard about grades in school expressed in numbers or letters, all of which point to a level of students' degree of knowledge, and which are rated as excellent, very good, good, sufficient, etc. It's not exactly something obscure.

Having said that, the private feedback bar has exactly that -a person that scores above number five is recommendable, and below 5 isn't. That means, loosely phrased, that someone is good or bad, according to the person doing the rating. 

Moreover, I've seen moderators on this forum talking about "poor" and "good" feedback, so I figured they must have certain numbers in mind when they are asserting these adjectives. I've also seen them in Upwork articles, so Upwork certainly has an opinion about it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 14

@Sonja K wrote:

Nope, that's exactly how I wanted to ask the question. Suppose you have all heard about grades in school expressed in numbers or letters, all of which point to a level of students' degree of knowledge, and which are rated as excellent, very good, good, sufficient, etc. It's not exactly something obscure.

When you put it that way, there's clearly no objective answer. Is a "B" a "good grade" for a high school student? Some people think a "B" average is great; others are devastated to receive a "B".

Similarly, some employers are happy to hire "B" students and think they're "good". Others stick to the top 10% of the class, or some other relatively arbitrary line.

The only possible answer to the question as phrased here is "depends on who you ask."

mircalla
Ace Contributor
7 of 14

I totally agree, but I was just wondering what does Upwork think when it writes "poor feedback" or "good feedback". 

mircalla
Ace Contributor
8 of 14

I am also interested what freelancers consider as good or bad feedback. There's a lot of talk about it without any attempt to define it, so I'm curious.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 14

@Sonja K wrote:

I am also interested what freelancers consider as good or bad feedback. There's a lot of talk about it without any attempt to define it, so I'm curious.

Personally, and for myself only, by my own standards, anything other than a really perfectly happy client and 5 stars is "poor feedback."

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 14

Sonja wrote, "Moreover, I've seen moderators on this forum talking about "poor" and "good" feedback, so I figured they must have certain numbers in mind when they are asserting these adjectives."

You should just ask them what they meant, or at least provide links to some posts where they use those terms, so there's a context against which one could speculate as to what they meant. My guess is that they were replying to some freelancer or client who used those terms, and as a shorthand adopted the same terms without necessarily agreeing with the usage or implying there's an official upwork definition for poor or good feedback.