🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The feature that left as quickly as it came
Page options
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

The feature that left as quickly as it came

Why did Upwork now remove the ability to know exactly how many proposals a job posting has received after I've applied.

That was wickid, UW.

16 REPLIES 16
florydev
Community Member

Good catch.  It's a range now.

Still, I am not sure why it should matter other than my obsessive need to go back and look at certain proposals and wonder what is happening.  The reality is, fire and forget is the only model that works, everything else is just second guessing and wondering about something you will never get an answer for.

lysis10
Community Member

I didn't even know they added it and then ninja wiped it.

Shows how much I akshually pay attention.

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Abinadab A wrote:

Why did Upwork now remove the ability to know exactly how many proposals a job posting has received after I've applied.

That,  was wickid, UW.

What are you talking about? It's been a range since I joined upwork 366 days ago, i've never seen an exact number. 

After you propose, it used to say exactly how many other proposals the project has.

Here:

Untitled.png

Once you made a proposal, it used to tell you exactly how many people had proposed and did not give a range although maybe that was a benefit of being a Plus freelancer, I don't know.

Joan S wrote:

Once you made a proposal, it used to tell you exactly how many people had proposed and did not give a range although maybe that was a benefit of being a Plus freelancer, I don't know.

No, it was never a benefit of Plus.

All freelancers who applied to a job posting could see it.

IMO, it worked pretty fine, and I never noticed any inconsistency.

Since they introduced a few months ago the ability to see the exact number of proposals after submitting a proposal, there was never a time when the count shown after submitting a proposal didn't match the range shown once you refresh the job posting itself after submitting your proposal.

In the recent past there haven't been inconsistencies.

Mark F. wrote:

Still, I am not sure why it should matter other than my obsessive need to go back and look at certain proposals and wonder what is happening.  The reality is, fire and forget is the only model that works, everything else is just second guessing and wondering about something you will never get an answer for.

Though seemingly minor, this piece of detail did matter to me.

It is possible I'm not alone.

You may not be alone but I would be curious to know how it helps you? I can’t see how it matters. You sent the proposal already.

Martina P wrote:

What are you talking about? It's been a range since I joined upwork 366 days ago, i've never seen an exact number. 

Happy Upwork "birthday", Martina! Cat Happy

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Abinadab and others,

There were inconsistencies with how proposal count displayed on the job posting and on the proposal page. Recently it's been addressed to make sure it's the same. Proposal ranges are now shown on both pages instead of a specific number.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria, the consistency is great but why a range instead of the site showing the exact number of proposals at any given time?

Hi Richard,

Please, refer to the announcement post I linked in my earlier reply for more information about why a decision was made to show ranges instead of an exact number of proposals back in 2016. At this point I'm not aware of any plans to show exact number of proposals in the future but if anything changes, we'll let the Community know.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria, thank you for your reply, but are you actually expecting to me look through a 45 page thread from 3 years ago to try and find an answer?

Richard S wrote:

Valeria, thank you for your reply, but are you actually expecting to me look through a 45 page thread from 3 years ago to try and find an answer?

No, I'm not, Richard. Unless you wish to do that and have extra time. I was referring to Lena's original announcement that started the thread. I'll quote it below:

Lena E. wrote:

Hi everyone,

In recent weeks some of you have pointed out the inconsistencies you’ve seen regarding the number of freelancers applying to an open job post (thread).

These differences made it difficult for some of you to properly evaluate whether or not to submit proposals. To help resolve this confusion, we’re making some updates later this week to the information that appears on job post and proposal pages (see below for an example).

Our goal with these changes is to provide a consistent view of the activity on an open job post. So freelancers can more accurately gauge the competition for jobs with the same consistent information displayed before and after they submit a proposal.  

Here is a summary of the updates you can expect:

What’s changing?

1.  Under the “Client Activity on this Job” section (see below) you’ll see the following changes:

• Alongside “Proposals,” instead of showing a specific number we’ll show the following range: <5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20, 20-50, >50.

• This range will include all proposals with the exception of:
    • Proposals that were withdrawn by the freelancer;
    • Proposals declined or archived by the client;
    • Job invitations the freelancer has not responded to, or clients have withdrawn.
  • Clients will continue to be able to access all proposals submitted to their job post by clicking “Show More” on their applicant page.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 2.36.00 PM.png

1. We will be removing the “Proposals” section that shows the list of freelancers who have applied for this job. Today, this list doesn’t update as quickly as we’d like and it doesn’t include the names of freelancers who are declined, archived, or who withdraw their submissions. This has confused many freelancers who expect their names to be added to the list immediately after submitting a proposal. We may consider including different, more meaningful information in this area in the future but as of now, eliminating this section seems the most appropriate step.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I don't think any freelancer wanted this to be changed, even though it is "buggy".

The range on the project page is ok, on the proposals page, not so much.

That's very helpful Valeria, thank you.

I think what she is saying without saying is that it was a bug not a feature.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members