cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The feedback/rating system

alvarodemarcos

Hello,

I would like to share my concerns about the feedback system after working in Upwork since its establishment date.

I always try to provide the best customer experience, always deliver my projects timely and always offer myself for any changes, testing, etc. the customer may require, with a friendly yet professional attitude always.

So, in 99% of cases, when nothing wrong happens between the customer and me and everything is delivered with no problems, my feedback to customers has been 5/5 and their feedback to me has also been 5/5.

There have been, however, some unpleasant surprises with some customers, all of the same nationality, by the way. I did my best, working with a friendly and respectful attitude, and there were no problems with the translations. So, as always, I rated my experience 5/5. To my surprise, after giving the 5/5, one customer did not recommend me (private feedback) and the other one gave me a 4/5 rating. We all know the impact this has on our job success score.

These are the points I would like to discuss about Upwork's system, which in my opinion is not very fair with freelancers:

1. The fact we can't see our feedback until we rate them is biased and unfair, as you can't foresee customers like the ones of my example whom I have treated professionally, delivering my work timely and with no mistakes, yet rate me with an undeserved score. We should be allowed to change our feedback accordingly, as the 5/5 that now appears in their profile is a biased score.

2. The fact there is a private feedback is also unfair, as customers like these ones can, for no reason, create a big negative impact on our hard-earned Job Success Score, yet you don't know about it and can't do anything to fix it.

3. The way the Job Success Score and Top Rated Status are calculated is wrong, in my opinion. Until I worked with the customer who did not recommend me, I had a perfect 5/5 average score (out of like 20 jobs), all customers had recommended me and my Job Success Score was 100%, having Top Rated Status. This negative feedback made my JSS drop to 77% and made me lose my TR status. Of course, I wrote to Upwork and, to my surprise, the reply was "unfortunately we can do nothing about it. Please do more jobs so your JSS rises again". Ok, so how can I do more jobs if now my internal rating has been destroyed for ONE negative and unjustified score?

It would be great if this could be taken into consideration.

Thank you very much for your attention in advance.

Kind regards,

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Guru

@Álvaro D wrote:
Until I worked with the customer who did not recommend me, I had a perfect 5/5 average score (out of like 20 jobs), all customers had recommended me and my Job Success Score was 100%, having Top Rated Status. This negative feedback made my JSS drop to 77% and made me lose my TR status.

Your JSS is 100%

You lost top rated because you don't have $ 1000 earnings in the past 12 months, which is a prerequisite for top rated. The big contract that held you above the $ 1000 fell out of the 12 months window

I know... after having to work for peanuts in order to get back again, but my current JSS score is not the point of this post... 

I know how the system works, thanks Petra. I am precisely debating about if it should be changed or not.

Álvaro, did the system suddenly become unfair after you received 4.0 feedback, but it was fair while you had 100% Job Success? Then think about this, I was at oDesk many years before it became Upwork, and I've never had a 100% Job Success, and because of that, some clients pick new freelancers like you, who never had a client that won't give 5 star feedback, instead of a more experienced freelancer like me because they think 100% is perfect but 99% means 1 out of 100 jobs was unsuccessful.

John, thanks for your reply.

The system doesn't become unfair from one day to another. I respect the fact you to think I am just ranting because I got a bad rating, but if you read my post, my feedback is based on a couple of experiences from a couple of years now. I invite you to also respect and read people's posts fully, understanding the fact that there may be negative comments about something instead of putting people down.

I don't know how things worked in oDesk as I didn't work much there, and I am not talking about the impact a bad feedback has on the customer, but on your profile.

The main point is here one negative piece of feedback made my JSS drop from 100% to 77%, whilst I had 20 other 5/5. Just from a mathematical point of view, it makes little sense. 

Alvaro, you don't have many jobs so your JSS is very sensitive. Once you get more history, it'll become way less prone to variations.

Double blind feedback allows for more honest public feedbacks.

Private feedback accounts for the weirdness of human psychology.

Other criteria are also taken into account when the JSS is calculated, nobody knows which ones so it is hard to know what to think.

But in any case your opinion is valuable.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hello Rene,

Thank you for your opinion. It seems you are the only one who knows how to use a forum respectfully and really taking into account what I said, giving some sensible arguments. 

I do have a small amount of jobs (approx. 20-30), but nonetheless, statistically it is very difficult to see how 1 "not recommending" feedback can decrease your JSS from 100% to 77%. 

About the double blind feedback, I get your point but, whilst you say it is honest, it is not very honest to work with soemeone who has given you their best attention, provided a translation with no mistakes (said by them), delivered your translation promptly and has had a positive attitude throughout the whole project. 

Just imagine the most exaggerated case. Someone gives you a 1/5 just because they feel like they want to do it, for no reason. You give them a 5. Don't you think at least people should be warned in some way about what this customer is doing?

Thanks again Rene. Have a nice day.

tlsanders
Community Guru

@Álvaro D wrote:

1. The fact we can't see our feedback until we rate them is biased and unfair, as you can't foresee customers like the ones of my example whom I have treated professionally, delivering my work timely and with no mistakes, yet rate me with an undeserved score. We should be allowed to change our feedback accordingly, as the 5/5 that now appears in their profile is a biased score.

Of course it's not "biased." Do you know what "double blind" means? The whole point is to prevent EITHER party from basing feedback on the other person's feedback rather than on their actual experience doing the job. The fact that you want to be able to change your honest feedback to revenge feedback if you don't like the rating you receive makes it clear just how important the double blind system is.

@Tiffany S wrote:

revenge feedback

Smiley LOL

I know what double blind means and also know what using a forum in a respectable way and accepting other people's opinions means. You, "Mrs. Top Guru of Upwork", **Edited for Community Guidelines**

As I learnt not to deal with people like you, you can refer to my reply to Rene about the unfairness of the system, as he does seem to know how to use a forum with respect.

moonraker
Community Guru

That escalated quickly.

Alvaro, we can't aaways expect to get the answers we want to in life. Sometimes reality just isn't what we want it to be. If you ask a question and the answers you recieve are not what you were hoping for, that does not mean the person giving the answer is being rude. It certainly does not meant they are lakcing in education. 

You have recieved some very fair and precise answers to your question. Would you prefer people just made something up to appease you instead? 

Who is talking about not having the answers I want?

Rene replied respectfully though he doesn't agree with what I said, and I appreciated that and replied accordingly, but you don't seem to say anything about that, right?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Alvaro and others,

I removed and edited a few recent posts on this thread and would like to remind everyone to treat each other with respect and behave in a professional manner. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS