🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: The problem everyone has. What to do?
Page options
8432241f
Community Member

The problem everyone has. What to do?

The problem everyone has. What to do?

I'm a photo and video editor expert. Besides, I'm very interested in design and thumbnail creation. I have sent many proposals, but the hiring rate is so low. A lot of clients require so much to test my ability. They still complimented me, but in the end, they still couldn't create a working contract (mostly). Now, I have fourteen connections left until the end of the month (in my case, five more days). I must be very picky about which jobs to bid on. I like to keep a little in case a dream job pops up in the next day or two.

What do you do when you encounter this problem? How do you choose where to bid? Do you keep any?

36 REPLIES 36
williamtcooper
Community Member

Nguyen,

Congrats on joining Upwork! You have done well to have already completed a job especially in your category. You are in a job category with an average number of jobs, but with an extreme amount of competition because this is typically considered an entry to intermediate job. Increasing your skill set to an Expert level is your best chance for longterm freelancing. Thanks!

Thank you for your advice, so I will try day by day to improve my skill. On the other hand, is there any job with low competition that makes it easier for me to win a contract?

Projects that require many years of education/training/experience have the least competition; there aren't any shortcuts to becoming an expert.

Nguyen,

Improving everyday is absolutely the way to go. I am an Expert, however continue to learn new things daily because today's Expert will to be tomorrows Intermediate without improvements.

Do a Google search on "In demand Upwork skills". Have a wonderful day!

bobafett999
Community Member

Aren't you the guy who gives free samples?

I found a way to avoid the scam in case of too many testing requirements. I will put a layer of watermark on each product before sending it.

It's easy to remove watermarks, and anyway, the concept is the hardest part of a design job. Once you've given away your ideas, they can be easily recreated. There's also the fact that it makes you look unprofessional and desperate when you're willing to work for free. And if clients require a free test, that's against the terms of service and should be reported.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Nguyen T wrote:

What do you do when you encounter this problem? 

I buy more connects.

It is one possible way, but my hire rate is pretty low, so I'll probably buy after understanding why the client doesn't hire me. Can anyone give me advice on this problem? Thanks a lot!

the-right-writer
Community Member

Even without considering connects, I have become much more selective when applying for jobs. With the spam and scam freelancers and clients, the number of genuine jobs is much lower than before the Upwork “let anything in policy.”

If I don’t have a good feeling about the legitimacy of the job, I don’t apply. Yes, I have probably passed on actual jobs, but it’s not worth the time and effort on proposals. Even if the job has a history, I don’t need problems, and the scams are becoming a bit more complex.

I keep my connects if I don’t find a job I am qualified for, know I can complete better than most, and there are not 20- 50 or more proposals.

Thank you for your advice. Indeed, scams are everywhere. I have encountered quite a few sophisticated scams and have learned my lessons. I need to be more careful and selective

prestonhunter
Community Member

Not every skill, hobby, or personal interest is sustainable as a profitable, viable career or job.

Community Member

A lot of clients require so much to test my ability. They still complimented me, but in the end, they still couldn't create a working contract (mostly).

Prashant made an excellent observation: you have been working for free. And when your samples are tailor-made to the client's requirements, why would they then pay you for it? Unethical? Yes. But too many consider ethics to only apply when it affects how others treat them.

I found a way to avoid the scam in case of too many testing requirements. I will put a layer of watermark on each product before sending it. It's sad because human morality is getting worse and worse as it is now. Maybe I need to be more mature and cautious.
Thank you

bilsim
Community Member

Nguyen T wrote:

I found a way to avoid the scam in case of too many testing requirements. I will put a layer of watermark on each product before sending it

Yes, but they can still steal your idea, even though they can't steal your work directly. Don't work for free. It's not good for you, for other freelancers, or for Upwork.

Forget about morality when people are hidden behind the screen. Rely on your common sense and good judgment instead.

The client can remove the watermark and use the work directly.

8432241f
Community Member

So how do I convince the client that I am capable? What should I do when a client asks me to do a test before they decide to make a contract? Scams not only take place from clients but also from many freelancers. Those who cannot afford it can also get free photos from other sources to include in their portfolio. So from the client's point of view, the requirement to test first is not unreasonable

You use the same tools we all use. Have a great profile, portfolio and proposals.

8432241f
Community Member

Yeah, thanks for your advice. Now I am also more careful in submitting proposals and selecting clients.

Watermarks are useless, because they are simple to remove.

bobafett999
Community Member

You are still determined to give free samples.

This post has nothing to do with this thread, and is simply a general observation:

If I knew about a freelancer who was sending free work before getting hired to clients, and was putting watermarks in the files (or not putting watermarks in the files), I would want that freelancer permanently removed from the Upwork platform.

So how do I convince the client that I am capable? What should I do when a client asks me to do a test before they decide to make a contract? I'm new here, so I have many things not known on the Upwork platform.

re: "What should I do when a client asks me to do a test before they decide to make a contract?"

These are not real clients.

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

Those people plan to NEVER pay money to a freelancer. It is like a game to them. They want to get the work done for free.

But my friend also got a long-term contract after doing a short test.
There are indeed many types of clients on Upwork.
Is there anyone or any topic that can list all the scams here so I can avoid them? thanks a lot

Nguyen T wrote:

But my friend also got a long-term contract after doing a short test.
There are indeed many types of clients on Upwork.

Sure, it can happen sometimes. But instead of spending countless hours doing free work just on the off chance that somebody might eventually hire you, your time could be better spent improving your skills, improving your portfolio, and learning more about marketing.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Now I am also more careful in submitting proposals and selecting clients.

Scams not only take place from clients but also from many freelancers. Those who cannot afford it can also get free photos from other sources to include in their portfolio. So from the client's point of view, the requirement to test first is not unreasonable

bilsim
Community Member

Nguyen T wrote:

Scams not only take place from clients but also from many freelancers. Those who cannot afford it can also get free photos from other sources to include in their portfolio. So from the client's point of view, the requirement to test first is not unreasonable

The client runs a business and running a business comes with business risks. If they don't have the money/capital to run paid tests and then select freelancers based on them, they shouldn't be running a business.

For instance, if I don't have the money to buy a private jet, then I should just stick to a car. Get the point?

They can ask a freelancer to create on their platform where the strokes and clicks are monitored. Then no stealing can happen. This should be a paid test though. But no, they want to run a business without any investment capital. That won't happen.

The whole point of a platform like this is that you have a contract! If your client does not like the work product, they can request an alteration, correction, or whatever.  So put your best work in your portfolio and enter into a contract before sending out your original work. 

You are correct.

There are scams coming from freelancers.

You are correct that some scammer freelancers copy material from other sources and put it in their portfolios.

You are correct thst it is not unreasonable for a client to want to test freelancers before hiring them.

But there are two problems with this:

1. It is against Upwork rules.

2. The dishonest scammer "clients" have ruined this for everyone.

Let's say "Larry" wants to really hire freelancers to edit photos, and Larry is an honest person, and he wants to have freelancers do sample tests before hiring them. The problem is Larry is one of 5% of clients like that. The other 95% of clients who ask freelancers to do sample tests before hiring are scammers who intentionally plan to get their work done for free by asking for custom sample work.

So Larry can't do what he wants, because the bad scammer clients ruined it for him.

And as a freelancer, you can't support people like Larry, because you would be dragging the platform down by participating in the scammers's schemes 95% of the time.

So what Larry needs to do is test freelancers by actually hiring them. He can test them using a five-dollar fixed-price contract. He can test them by hiring them to work for ten minutes. Larry does not need to spend a lot of money to test freelancers. But he can not test them for free.

bilsim
Community Member

That means I can visit 10 different hairdressers, get hair styling 10 times for free by asking them for a sample hair cut. As I never know, they may do just whatever on my head and then ask for a payment? As consumers and payers, we always pay for something with a certain degree of risk. Upwork clients should not be any different from the rest of the world.

27976d7e
Community Member

I try and talk to people in my business network, as this is producing more income long-term. There isn't much to bid on at the moment, video wise.  I did win another photo retouch job but the client had not set up their address and details up so couldn't accept. I think they were really looking for free samples, even if they had crosses on. 

bobafett999
Community Member

This is now a useless thread.  This guy just wants to justify whatever he wants to do.  

The original poster is only one person.

We don't create these threads for one person.

Everybody who reads this thread may learn from it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths