cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with Upwork

Highlighted
Arthur M Member Since: Oct 22, 2019
11 of 19

The current connections system is a valid alternative to make the job proposals more elaborated, and avoid an excessive number of applies.

If everyone has a lot of spare connections, the job proposals would get saturated, clients would end up not even reading all proposals, and potentially more valuable proposals.

Consider the transportation value that you would spend for a job interview, and compare with the costs in connections, it doesn't look unreasonable, and most times, it's cheaper than getting a bus, uber or taxi ride to have a regular job interview.

Highlighted
Preeti S Member Since: Oct 1, 2016
12 of 19

I agree with that a 100%. I have spent hundreds of dollars already to no avail. These days proposals don't seem to be getting through as well. All of that money down the drain and not one notification or reason as to why I was not hired or atleast not answered to for the huge proposals I wrote. Its dark out there Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Sara E Member Since: Jan 20, 2020
13 of 19

This has been an absolute disaster for me. I have spent about $20 on extra connects this month which has resulted in no job thus far. I am planning on quitting Upwork altogether at some point as it is not a stable way of getting income and has been costing me too much money. I could make way more money working for a company rather than having 20% of my earnings taken (and then another 25% probably for taxes). 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
14 of 19

Hi Sara, 

I checked your profile and I can say that your profile is actually good. As recommended by other members of the community, you may want to update your profile overview to something that says how you can help your clients with their projects. 

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
15 of 19
Aver
Avery O wrote:

Hi Sara, 

I checked your profile and I can say that your profile is actually good. As recommended by other members of the community, you may want to update your profile overview to something that says how you can help your clients with their projects. 

I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

Avery, you mean well, but since the "change" a few months ago, I'm only getting jobs from old clients and little jobs once in a while from new clients. Something has changed, and this doesn't help freelancers at all.

OK, my profile doesn't stand out, but it didn't previously either. Are there less people hiring on Upwork?

Highlighted
Thomas D Member Since: Nov 29, 2019
16 of 19

Hey, same situation, also a new member, for the Connects spent i did not get even a reply. So it looks much more new people than actual available projects.

Highlighted
Boris S Member Since: Apr 8, 2020
17 of 19

Same here. Spend $27 for one week and nothing. I only receive messages from scammers and people who want free work. But I hope things will change.

Kind Regards,
Boris S.
Highlighted
Arthur M Member Since: Oct 22, 2019
18 of 19

Hi Boris,

I had similar experiences in the past, in order to get the most of it and avoid scammers, I'd recommend searching for long term jobs, for clients with other good hiring experiences and feedback.
We spend a big time writing applies and dealing with clients, so we can value our time by working as individual micro businesses, even if you're looking for short term jobs, a client with lots of micro contracts for small fixed budgets and a small amount of hourlies are not worth your time to apply and negotiate, specially if they had previous negative feedback.

I hope you have a better experience in the future Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Nidhal A Member Since: Mar 19, 2020
19 of 19
Think about it in different way, how many people are applying for the same job you apply for with taking into consideration that they also "pay" connects and compare it with how many people would apply if the connecrs are for free or cheaper. I am one of the people who pays for connects only if i am some how sure that i fit the job and i can impressive the employer with my proposal. You have to do the same, analyze your skills and compare them with what the clients need and then apply if it only makes sense.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS