Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "NEW" Forum

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 24

There are a few people on these threads that seem to be doing nothing more than baiting people into arguing with them and reducing the usefullness of the entire area. AKA Trolls.

This constant disparaging of the Upwork system serves few people here, greatly diminishes the overall usefullness of the forums, and nulifies our attempts to get CURRENT issues fixed.

Until this week, this forum had been a place where everyone basically got along well, due to one common purpose.

• Fix CURRENT issues,
  • get individualized help.
  • have pertinent questions answered in order to function better with the system.

COULD WE PLEASE RETURN TO THESE OBJECTIVES?

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 24

"COULD WE PLEASE RETURN TO THESE OBJECTIVES?"

Sorry, but no. An issue like the lack of proper invoices may not be important to you, but it's extremely important to all of us from Europe. This platform doesn't just need to be fixed; it needs to be substantially upgraded because, even if all the features it has were working as intended - and you're right; they're not - it still doesn't have all the features we want. You can't realistically expect people to just meekly swallow paying higher fees for a less capable platform.

If I make as much on Upwork in the next 12 months as I did on The Site That Dare Not Speak Its Name in the last 12, the additional fees I'll be paying will amount to $450 or so. If I'm being charged that much more for the service I expect it to be at least as good. And it isn't.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
stencilmedia
Community Leader
Scott E Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
3 of 24

"There are a few people on these threads that seem to be doing nothing more than baiting people into arguing with them and reducing the usefullness of the entire area. AKA Trolls."

Don't put yourself down Jean, you've raised some valid points here. However, I feel it's important to point out that "disparaging of the Upwork system" and "attempts to get CURRENT issues fixed" are surely the same thing? Worded differently, sure, but the few people that have pointed out things they're not too keen on about the site which they would like changed... are no different from the things you're not too keen on about the site, which you would like changed. 

I don't quite understand your use of the word 'current' either. The issues that people are raising are all current. Nobody is complaining about issues that have been resolved or issues that don;t exist. They're all current.

And that's the thing... this is a forum where people can share ideas and discuss issues. Just because something isn't an issue to you, doesn't mean that it isn't an issue to somebody else. Maybe you get some kind of bonus points for tenure and earnings, but in theory, everybody's opinions on the site should be just as valid. 

I don't think identifying something that could be better, and expressing that, could ever be classed as trolling. I don't think Ghandi, Mandela, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks or the suffragettes were ever referred to as trolls. Yes, one person's better might be another person's worse (so maybe some people did refer to them as trolls!), but that's the whole idea of discussion. Raise issues, get feedback, discuss potential changes, the pros and the cons etc etc. Surely by classing these people as trolls you're essentially saying that (apart from the issues you want fixed) the site is perfect, could not be any better and they're obviously delusional. Do you really think people are just making stuff up to complain about?

Sure, I can appreciate that there may seem to be a bit more negativity than there was previously, but it's understandable. You've basically got the population of a country doubling due to an influx of refugees and they're all saying stuff like "what do you mean you drive on the left?" or other such things. Obviously that example doesn't work as driving on a different side of the road isn't going to have much effect on earnings, but you get what I'm saying. Hopefully. It's to be expected.  

Just on this point...

• Fix CURRENT issues,
  • get individualized help.
  • have pertinent questions answered in order to function better with the system.

COULD WE PLEASE RETURN TO THESE OBJECTIVES?

I don't think anyone left those objectives.

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 24

No offense Jean, but is that your writing?

Ron aka LanWanMan
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 24

Jean,

For my own peace of mind and from the value I give my time, I won't go near threads that are headed "Fix this site!" or propose non-starters like redecorating or abolishing the JS score (or replacing it with levels, merit badges, or whatever the poster is used to). I likewise ignore "I'm new here!" "Help me!" "How do I get a job?" "Elance was so much better!" and "My account has been suspended/upended/AynRanded/branded a communist 'cause I'm left-handed." Life is too short.

Confining my participation to threads with well-defined topics of interest, I've pretty much found the kind of discourse you seem to be advocating, and my 1.72:1 kudos to posts ratio (but who's counting?) suggests I haven't degraded that discourse by addressing topics or bringing viewpoints that might not jibe with your interests and perspectives.

As a friendly note, I'll mention that the new (here) Community Manager frowns on cross-posting.

Best,

Michael

View solution in original post

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 24

p.s. Thanks for the acknowledgment, Jean.

As I posted a while back, rough seas ahead!

"Just one more pull and that'll do!" (audio via YouTube)

Best,

MM

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
7 of 24

Everyone has a right to voice their opinions about whatever they want to.

It's okay to not want to make friends on this site. Everyone is looking to eke out a living, but the right thing to do is to be mindful of how words sound. Freelancers here could also be clients and vice versa. No one knows if they are going to be p**sing off someone that will end up making them lots of money. 

No amount of complaining and suggesting and recommending is going to make upwork change things quickly or at all. There has to be some other way to get valid points to the proper department and there are so many brilliant people here that I'm sure figuring a better way is doable.

I don't have the same issues as everyone else, at least I don't notice if I do, because I don't earn enough to feed a hamster at this time..lol.. but I sure do hope everyone can work together here. 

As much as I like reading the posts here, its now gotten to the point where its like how we have summer repeats on TV. I'm looking for a new series premiere now! Lol

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
8 of 24

"I don't earn enough to feed a hamster at this time."

Neither do I, from this platform, and that's exactly why it's an issue for me. Up until the platform change was announced I was making enough from Elance to feed myself, the cat and all the people who send me bills every month. I realise that it was incredibly stupid of me to put so much reliance on a single platform and I certainly won't be doing that with Upwork. I'll apply for any interesting jobs I see here, but there just aren't enough to live on - nowhere near - so I'll be putting more effort into finding other sources of work.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
michael-remus
Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
9 of 24

@fergus M wrote:

I realise that it was incredibly stupid of me to put so much reliance on a single platform and I certainly won't be doing that with Upwork. I'll apply for any interesting jobs I see here, but there just aren't enough to live on - nowhere near - so I'll be putting more effort into finding other sources of work.

Some lessons cause pain, but if they do, you won't forget them. Standing on one leg is always unsteady.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 24

@fergus M wrote:

Neither do I, from this platform, and that's exactly why it's an issue for me. Up until the platform change was announced I was making enough from Elance to feed myself, the cat and all the people who send me bills every month. I realise that it was incredibly stupid of me to put so much reliance on a single platform and I certainly won't be doing that with Upwork. I'll apply for any interesting jobs I see here, but there just aren't enough to live on - nowhere near - so I'll be putting more effort into finding other sources of work.

I did the same thing kinda. I usually mix up my year with an onsite contract either 3 or 6 months. I worked onsite from October-March and I'm not ready to go back but I keep my options open. I am wondering what happens when the total shutdown happens in September.

I just sold a $3800 contract on Elance, so I'm now at somewhere around $6k in bookings. Total Upwork sales is $500 so it's a little worrying. lol  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS