Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "NEW" Forum

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
11 of 24

Yeah. Since I started on Upwork I've bid on three times as many jobs on Elance, but made nine times as much money. It's definitely a bit worrying. I'm assuming things will improve here if I ever get invited to copy my profile across, but it would have been nice if I could have been invited before my clients were.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 24

If it's any consolation or help at all, I got my first job here (well, my only one) without my profile being merged. However, once it did merge, I'm getting a lot more responses. Some are a waste of time, but eh same as Elance right? I have one guy I still need to respond to on here and I haven't had the time. If he goes with someone else, it's my fault.

The part that really worries me is that most of my income on Elance is from invites and I get no invites on Upwork.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
13 of 24

I've had a couple of jobs here, one of which was a test and the other is ongoing. I'm negotiating a couple more. Bringing my profile across should make a difference, unless I get instantly blocked for having so many jobs without feedback. The (apparently general) lack of invites here worries me too, though. I get a lot of invites on Elance.

When I started there I was incredibly lucky, and got my first job within half an hour of signing up. Obviously getting one job increases your chances of getting the next one by orders of magnitude. I was impressed at what an amazing profile I'd obviously written to get hired so quickly, but it later turned out that the client has a dog called Fergie and just liked my name.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 24
Psst! Hey, you two! If you're just gonna talk shop, you need to get a room.
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
15 of 24

LOL.. thanks for my first giggle for a Sunday morning Douglas!!! 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 24

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Do not disparage our happy fun times, Douglassssss!!!!!!! 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
17 of 24

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Do not disparage our happy fun times, Douglassssss!!!!!!! 

No disparagement intended! A game of "If you'll show me yours I'll show you mine" just needs a proper setting.

B^) 

screeler
Community Guru
18 of 24

What's great about you and Jennifer is that you are very qualified in what you do and you could take your trades anywhere really and you don't have to limit yourself to Upwork yaknow? I know that the E place was a successful platform for you and I understand the loss you feel because I had a freelance job that paid me quite well (I typed my fingers to stubs to get that money but it was fun, I was able to afford to travel, have anything I wanted (I didn't want much but still..) and I had the world by the tail. 

I subcontracted work from a call center friend who said it was easy work, I don't use my own picture and I just write back to men on a dating site. It was weird at first but I got into it and had fun. We both made money and it was easy but it was addicting work. To this day I don't know if the contractor knew that the work at home teams were going to be dissolved but he claims he had no prior knowledge. I went in to the site as usual and found there were no messages in queue. I figured it was a glitch in the system. I waited a couple hours and still nothing. I called him and he said site was down for maintenance. A day later he said the same thing. Every day it was the same thing until the 7th day when he finally told us that the company decided that there would only be in-house workers and there were no open positions in-house at this time. Nice. So those 2 years I spent replying to up to 2000 email every week were now just a memory. The call center I worked in at least gave a bit of notice but not much. I wasn't too upset over the call center closing because over the course of several months, things started getting a bit weird, and the atmosphere just wasn't as fun as it used to be. We just didn't know that they had started outsourcing our jobs to the Philippines.  It would have been nice to have notice so we all could look for other jobs but call center uppity-ups aren't known for their empathy and compassion towards their customer service reps, so not a huge surprise. 

It doesn't look like I'll ever make the amount of money I made with the call center and my at home job but I'm okay. Something or a bunch of things will come up that will help me to get close to that level of weekly pay but I have to have patience. I have to be creative and remember that everything and everyone is a stepping stone to where I need to be. 

Hopefully this is a temporary thing for you and that in the near future you have so much work being thrown at you that you'll end up enjoying your stay here but cursing that you don't have time to take a day off, and that goes for everyone that is having issues with Upwork. Woman Happy

monstersong
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
19 of 24

Not only am I concerned about my earnings on Upwork, I've also noticed a significant dent in profits to my hamster feed side business. Smiley Sad

screeler
Community Guru
20 of 24

i wanted to start a hamster feed side business and wasn't getting any customers. now i know that it's because you had that all sown up Patrick. Woman Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS