🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The story of a miserable freelancer
Page options
d8e3f03c
Community Member

The story of a miserable freelancer

David, a freelance graphic designer, had been struggling to make ends meet. Desperate for work, he decided to join a popular freelancing platform, hoping to find projects to sustain himself financially.

Initially, things seemed promising as David eagerly applied to various graphic design gigs. However, as weeks turned into months, he found himself in a vicious cycle of rejection and disappointment. Despite pouring countless hours into crafting compelling proposals and showcasing his portfolio, he received little to no response from potential clients.

With each rejection, David's confidence and self-worth plummeted. He began to doubt his skills and abilities, wondering if he was even cut out for freelancing. The constant rejection took a toll on his mental health, leaving him feeling isolated and hopeless.

To make matters worse, David's financial situation became dire. He struggled to pay rent and buy groceries, relying on meager savings that were quickly dwindling. The stress and anxiety of financial insecurity weighed heavily on him, exacerbating his feelings of despair.

As David reached his breaking point, he reached out to the freelancing platform for support, hoping for guidance or assistance in navigating his challenges. However, his pleas fell on deaf ears, met with automated responses and generic advice that offered little solace or practical help.

With no relief in sight and his mental health deteriorating, David made the agonizing decision to walk away from freelancing altogether. The dream of being his own boss and finding success on the platform had turned into a nightmare, leaving him broken and disillusioned.

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

wrote:

With each rejection, David's confidence and self-worth plummeted. He began to doubt his skills and abilities, wondering if he was even cut out for freelancing. The constant rejection took a toll on his mental health, leaving him feeling isolated and hopeless.

The reality is that most people aren't cut out for freelancing, and it's especially difficult to find work here because of the massive amount of competition. I've heard that around 90% of the people who join Upwork never get a single job. It doesn't mean that you don't have skills or that you should feel worthless, it just means that this particular form of earning money isn't going to work out for you, so you should try something else. I'm not saying this to be harsh - I think it's actually very healthy and admirable to face facts, because it's the only way to move on with your life.

You should also know that being your own boss might sound great in theory, but it has a lot of downsides as well, even for people who are successful. You may find that you'll actually be a lot happier if you have a full-time job where you can rely on your boss and co-workers for support, where you'll be assigned tasks instead of having to face rejection, and where you can rely on a steady paycheque. I wish you the best of luck.

48f850a0
Community Member

If this story is referring to Upwork (sending proposals and co) Mr David needs to realize that the clients in the same space come looking for the cheapest options, you will always be in a race to the bottom on Upwork, my advice to anyone that's an Upwork freelancer and getting work and stuff, make sure you have a plan for future off here.. because one day, you'll be sick of the low rates you are happy with right now and then find out, the only reason you were being hired was for your low rates😅.. then you either quit or be bitter and stuck. Upwork is more of a tool to generate capital for a bigger thing, don't be fully relaxed that you can be doing this forever 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members