cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The strange metric of Job Success - Experiments in deconstructing its hidden mysteries

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Greg G Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
1 of 8

I decided to track my own performance to see if I could begin to reverse engineer the various inputs that might go into job success. Since I am limited in my oDesk activity and am basically an experiment of one if anyone else wants to track and add their own, it would be appreciated.

My Starting stats

# of jobs: 16

hours: 193

Stars: 5.0

# of clients who wrote terrible things behind my back to oDesk: unknown

# of cancelled projects: 1

Job success: 89%

Experiment 1

Completed hourly project

# of jobs: 17 (+1)

hours: 212 (+19)

star rating: 5.0

did client write terrible things behind my back to oDesk: unknown

# of cancelled projects: 1 (+0)

Job Success: 89%

Experiment 2

Completed fixed rate project

# of jobs: 18 (+1)

hours: 212 (+0)

star rating: 5.0

did client write terrible things behind my back to oDesk: unknown

# of cancelled projects: 1 (+0)

Job Success: 89%

Discussion

Based on my experience, the result of getting 2 5 star feedback jobs had zero impact on my job success whatsoever. Which I find odd and counterintuitive when you consider that 2 jobs for me is approximately 10.5% of all my jobs. I would therefore under a normal metric scenario expect to see some kind of improvement in my job success metric.

I remain confused as to how the algorithm is weighted despite the help page on the topic, and oDesk - since they are moving the goal posts for freelancers here - should provide greater transparency on the levers that one can take to improve job success going forward. Feel free to add your own experiments below.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 8

Greg,

You're neglecting one factor: how often Job Success is recalculated. Best as I can recall, it happens at least twice a month, but I'm under the impression it *can* be more frequent than this. Regardless, I wouldn't expect it to be recalculated with every completed job.

Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
3 of 8

Hello John, 

After a short job, my long term contract score descreed from 56 to 46. Does it not means, it changes after each job?

I hope to hear you soon, 

Thank you, 

Abdulrazaq

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

Abdul, you mean your "Long-term clients" percentage decreased from 56% to 46%? That's a big change, and very surprising because you have 200 jobs and 5,842 hours. The only explanation I can think of is that most of your jobs and hours were more than 2 years ago, so they don't count towards Job Success, but the only people who really understand this perfectly are the oDesk programmers and I'm not one of them.

Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 8

"the only people who really understand this perfectly are the oDesk programmers"

Hmmm...you have more faith in them than I do then...

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

Stephen, you raise a good point, as is your wont. So allow me to rephrase my remark thus:

"the only people who may understand this perfectly are the oDesk programmers"

Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
7 of 8

Here we go Stephen knows it  very well I have mensioned in my other thread only 2 bodies can answer The robot or the person who made it.I havent get any answer from programmer yet  i think its only the robot .

Too dangerous I am afraid of it!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
8 of 8

John, I'm not sure about the 2 year window. When Job Success first appeared for me, it was showing 98% and after 10-12 days, changed to 99 and finally 100%. But here's the thing, I joined oDesk just under 8 months ago. If there's a 2 year or even 1 year window, then those imperfect scores which made it 98% initially, should still be counted, and I can't have a perfect score (note to oDesk - I'm not complaining)..

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS