Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The system has logged manual time into the wrong (Fixed Rate) job

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
1 of 8

I logged in some manual time into my one-and-only Hourly Rate job.

The logged time wasn’t showing in the Work Diary.

So, I tried to log in the manual time again, and got an interesting error.

The error message says that the range overlaps with hours logged into a Fixed Rate job!

Manual_time_error.jpg

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
2 of 8

Removed.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 8

Hi Ravindra,

It looks like you logged time on your fixed price contract for that segment of time. While time logged on the fixed-price contract isn't used for billing the client automatically, the system still blocks that segment of time in your Work Diary and assumes you spent that time working on that contract and not your hourly contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

Hi Valeria,

I guess you are right.

Here is the default when I go to the Work Diary:

Work_Diary.jpg

Maybe, I used the pull-down by mistake.

ETA: Why would the Fixed Price Jobs be in that pull-down list?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Leader
Rekha S Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
5 of 8

I wondered about it too. My guess is that's meant for recording manual hours for extra work outside the scope of the original milestone like offline research, interviews, book or subcription purchases, or travel expenses relevant to the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

“My guess is that's meant for recording manual hours for extra work outside the scope of the original milestone like offline research, interviews, book or subcription purchases, or travel expenses relevant to the job.”

That’s interesting.

How do we charge the client for those hours?

Will Upwork raise an invoice (or send any report to the client) for the manual hours for Fixed Price jobs?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

@Ravindra B wrote:

How do we charge the client for those hours?

Will Upwork raise an invoice (or send any report to the client) for the manual hours for Fixed Price jobs?

The whole point of fixed rate contracts is the part that says "FIXED" - hours do not come into it. If you perform out of scope or extra work on a fixed rate contract you need to discuss payment for those (in form of extra milestones or bonuses) with the client.

Many people run the tracker on fixed rate contracts for their own reasons. Those are not ever billed to the client. Payment on fixed rate contracts is only for the set milestones (and, if applicable, bonuses.)

You can log your time if you like but if you do nothing happens (the hours are just there for the record, not billed or invoiced or counted towards Upwork hours)

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 8

Thank you, Petra.

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS