cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The system is designed to mess with us

Highlighted
Mohamed B Member Since: Nov 30, 2019
1 of 26
Now that connects are no longer free, they are more valued than ever, yet no change was made to compensate for that.
Some clients open the job and never check it or hire anyone. Some jobs already have hires but they are left open for us to guess if the client actually still needs another freelancer or is just to lazy to close the announcement.

I am sick and tired of applying to jobs, then when I check it 10 days later it says the client last saw it 10 days before and the job is just left open for weeks without the client ever checking it.
There is no system whatsoever that is as flawed as this system.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 26

Mohamed B wrote:
Now that connects are no longer free, they are more valued than ever,

Not really.

Highlighted
3 of 26
Howso? Is it in anyway acceptable that I might spend 4 to 6 connects on a job that the client stopped hiring for with noway to get refunded? And after I am left to be screwed with like that when I finally land a job after spending 20+ payed connects, I am still charged a wobbing 20%
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 26

Mohamed B wrote:
Howso? Is it in anyway acceptable that I might spend 4 to 6 connects on a job that the client stopped hiring for with noway to get refunded? And after I am left to be screwed with like that when I finally land a job after spending 20+ payed connects, I am still charged a wobbing 20%

I don't feel screwed as long as my bid gets properly sent. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
5 of 26

Mohamed - Instead of worrying about connects, maybe you should try to learn from the one job you've had and the feedback you got from that client.

Highlighted
6 of 26
What gave you the impression that I am not focusing on polishing my skills and making the most of the "one job I had"?

Since I see you are a top-rated freelancer, I don't think you can appreciate what building a profile under the current system requires.
For example, my account is deactivated because I didn't get a job in a month, which means I can not get any invitation and I am fully dependant on connects that I pay for. The least I should expect is that every job offer I find on my wall is open for hiring, but my experience has been that most are not. I need to do a lot of guessing because simply I don't trust Upwork to close the offers that their clients have already hired or dumped the project completely and have not logged in in days.
They should at least not deactivate active profiles as long as I am active and will accept any invitation, instead they made my account invesible to force me to spend money on connects! Then they do nothing to protect me from fake offers.
Highlighted
Emilia S Member Since: Aug 16, 2019
7 of 26

Wow,  I 100% agree with you. I'm grateful for this website but these things should be fixed asap

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 26

Mohamed - It is very easy for you to request that your profile be made public. And the fact that you are very new to Upwork means that you probably won't be getting many invitations, anyway. When you make a bid for a job, the client is able to see your profile even if it is not public. The fact that I am top rated does not mean that I don't know what it takes to build an Upwork account. It took me a long time to get to a JSS of 100% and to be top rated and it took a lot of work to get there. And in the beginning I spent a lot of money on connects. I figured that was just the cost of starting a business. If it didn't work out, I would not stay - but it did work out. So, for you, you either have to keep at it and try to overcome the very bad feedback you got on your first job, or you will have to find some other way to earn a living. Whatever you do, most people will advise you to not count on Upwork as your sole means of income.

Highlighted
9 of 26

I am interested. Is a 4/5 ratings considered "very bad", I though it's bad or not good but very bad!

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 26

Mohamed - Your "4" rating is certainly not a good rating for your first job - and I considered it to be very bad because it included two "3" ratings. You will need to work hard to overcome that rating but it can be done. In addition, I think your profile could be improved. For instance, it has been my experience that clients who are looking for proofreaders don't want to hire someone who uses a program like Grammarly. They could do that themselves and, besides, Grammarly doesn't catch nearly enough.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS