Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The system is designed to mess with us

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 26

Mohamed B wrote:

I am interested. Is a 4/5 ratings considered "very bad", I though it's bad or not good but very bad!

Looking at that client's job post and feedback history there is no way in hell that I would have considered working with them for a single second for any amount of money, ever, under any circumstances.

That client is toxic and screams red flags waving everywhere!

Joan S wrote:

Mohamed - Your "4" rating is certainly not a good rating for your first job - and I considered it to be very bad 

For that nightmare client it's actually great feedback...

Did you bother to look at their history?

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
12 of 26

Yes, Petra, I looked at the client. I would not have wanted to work for a client with that kind of feedback. However, the feedback for the freelancer is stuck there on his profile and some clients won't bother to look further. He will just have to work to get rid of that feedback since he can't delete it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 26

Joan S wrote:

I looked at the client. I would not have wanted to work for a client with that kind of feedback. However, the feedback for the freelancer is stuck there on his profile and some clients won't bother to look further. He will just have to work to get rid of that feedback since he can't delete it.

Joan S wrote:

I would not have wanted to work for a client with that kind of feedback. However, the feedback for the freelancer is stuck there on his profile and some clients won't bother to look further. He will just have to work to get rid of that feedback since he can't delete it.

That client's feedback may at least be deleted from the JSS calculation.... I am stunned how anyone would consider accepting work from them. There could not be more obvious warning signs and red flags---

Nightmare client.

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
14 of 26

Unfortunately, Petra, sometimes new freelancers on Upwork will take any kind of job they can get and they often don't understand feedback. Learning how to be successful on Upwork takes time and we all sometimes make mistakes.

kbadeau
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
15 of 26

I clicked on a job the other day that I was going to send a proposal for, a quick down and dirty thing since I had some time on my hands. The budget was $120 and the description said it would take 2 hours. (It might have taken less, which would have been fine with me, since it was fixed rate). It was FOUR connects to apply. Needless to say, I did not apply.

Perhaps that's their goal. Only a few people apply to a job so the client isn't bombarded for such a short project. But I fail to see then how a long-term, $10,000 gig would only cost six connects.

It's not that I don't have the connects to spare... i just can't wrap my head around their system of rating jobs.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 26

Kelly B wrote:

I clicked on a job the other day that I was going to send a proposal for, a quick down and dirty thing since I had some time on my hands. The budget was $120 and the description said it would take 2 hours. (It might have taken less, which would have been fine with me, since it was fixed rate). It was FOUR connects to apply. Needless to say, I did not apply.

Perhaps that's their goal. Only a few people apply to a job so the client isn't bombarded for such a short project. But I fail to see then how a long-term, $10,000 gig would only cost six connects.

It's not that I don't have the connects to spare... i just can't wrap my head around their system of rating jobs.

I'm surprised it wasn't 6 connects. They say it's based also on popularity, and that seems like the type of job that would get flooded with bids. 

kbadeau
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
17 of 26

I mean I guess it's working the way they want it to, in that the client propbably only received a few proposals. It just seemed bizarro to me.

It's almost like I'd rather have the span be wider, like up to 10 connects or something, so there might be a more rational way to allocate connects to job postings.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 26

Kelly B wrote:

Why is that "needless to say"? You obviously have every right to set your own standards and draw your own lines, but I'm very curious as to why you'd see it as a given that reasonable people wouldn't spend $0.60 to earn $120 in less than two hours. 

I wouldn't bid on that job (unless I was bidding higher) because that's way below my hourly rate, but if it was $120 for one hour's work (more in line with my rates), I wouldn't think anything of spending one half of one percent of the value of the job to connect with the client.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 26

Mohamed B wrote:
Now that connects are no longer free, they are more valued than ever, yet no change was made to compensate for that.

Well, they did reduce the price of purchased connects from $1 to $0.15, and they did reduce the value of paid connects needed to bid on a job from $2/job to between $0.15 and $0.90/job.
Some clients open the job and never check it or hire anyone. 

I wish Upwork would do away with that damned "last active" red herring. There's a pervasive and totally inaccurate belief among freelancers that clients whose stats show they haven't viewed a job in 10 days (or whatever) have abandoned it and never see proposals. In fact, the email updates Upwork sends highlighting proposals are so constant and overwhelming that there is no reason to visit the job posting unless you get an email about a freelancer who looks like a good fit. Some freelancers are emailed to the client three, four, or five times on the same job. Email subject lines falsely proclaim "You have new bids!" and then you're confronted with yet another email that includes freelancers you've been emailed multiple times before. Engaging with a job posting is a full-time job even if you never log in to Upwork.

sarwatnaqvi
Ace Contributor
Saeeda Sarwat N Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 26

Tiffany S wrote:
 In fact, the email updates Upwork sends highlighting proposals are so constant and overwhelming that there is no reason to visit the job posting unless you get an email about a freelancer who looks like a good fit. Some freelancers are emailed to the client three, four, or five times on the same job.

This is good news for me. Thanks for sharing. This way UpWork is increasing the probability of freelancers to get hired even if they had applied and initially there proposal had gone unnoticed. 

And I assume there is no way for the client to unsubscribe from email notifications from UpWork. I really doubt it though.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS