cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The way Upwork takes the fees is very frustrating!

auguria
Elena I Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
1 of 38

Hi!

It's very very frustrating to tell the clients that, for example, I want $10 per hour, but payed to me, and then I receive $10 per hour, but there are actually $9, because the clients don't understand exactly how this works. This puts the freelancers in a nasty position, when they actually have to ask for more to receive the sum they want. Do you find this as frustrating as I do?

Cheers!

snette
Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
2 of 38

I don't feel frustrated with that at all.

If I want to earn $ 10 an hour I will put that in the box labeled with "You'll earn Estimated" when I propose.

And if I get hired then I get what I proposed.

Maybe I don't understand your question.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 38

Elena,

Always figure the fee into your rate. This way you don't need to explain it to the client. If you want to make $10 an hour then you need to figure in 10% or 110% which will give you exactly what you need to make to make that $10.00. So you need to be charging $11.00 an hour to make the $10.00.

You should always be figuring in the Upwork fee as an expense and add it into your total cost of doing business

ottofritzler
Fritzler O Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
4 of 38

Hi Elena ,

What you are writing is right, but the matter here is that if I, as a freelancer have to add all this fees to my final price, this price result very high for the employers and it's very hard to have a competitive price to get hired.

Don't you think? At least is what is happening to me.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 38

@Fritzler O wrote:

Hi Elena ,

What you are writing is right, but the matter here is that if I, as a freelancer have to add all this fees to my final price, this price result very high for the employers and it's very hard to have a competitive price to get hired.

Don't you think? At least is what is happening to me.

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, since all of your competitors here are adjusting for the same fees.

howdymedia
Ace Contributor
Steve B Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
6 of 38

Your math is incorrect. In order to account for the 10% fee, you would need to charge 111.11%.

$111.11 * 10% (.1) = $11.11

-$11.11

-------

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
7 of 38

No frustration here.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
8 of 38

I don't think it's the clients...

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
9 of 38

@Elena A wrote:

Hi!

It's very very frustrating to tell the clients that, for example, I want $10 per hour, but payed to me, and then I receive $10 per hour, but there are actually $9, because the clients don't understand exactly how this works. This puts the freelancers in a nasty position, when they actually have to ask for more to receive the sum they want. Do you find this as frustrating as I do?

Cheers!

No frustration at all. If you follow Sebastian's advice and fill the amount you want to earn into the right box in your application everything is fine. Have a look at the attached screen shot. Fill what you want to earn in the box I circled in red. Upwork will automatically calculate the price shown to the client. Where is your problem?

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
10 of 38

I'm with everyone else here. You just need to factor the 10% fee into your asking price. It's not really an issue.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS