🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The way to go as a new freelancer on Upwork
Page options
mredprints
Community Member

The way to go as a new freelancer on Upwork

Hello, Fabulous Upwork Freelancers,

I am a fresher on Upwork. I registered on the site early last month as a writer. However, it has not been all rosy as I have had my low moments. I have purchased big connects bundles multiple times but am yet to start strongly. I guess being a recent member with no reviews to back up my expertise is at fault for that. I thought I have a winning Profile, but now I am no longer sure of that. I have come to the point I have to admit to myself that I need expert opinions and advice from the experienced gurus and leaders of this community to guide and put me through. Tell me, What am I not doing right? Or what am I missing? Please, can someone check my profile to see if something is wrong? I have no iota of doubt that I will indeed get solutions in this great community.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Adeoluwa,

It may take a while to win a job, especially in competitive categories, and submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or a chance to be interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. Always make sure that your proposals are well written and that you are qualified for the job. You may want to check out the following articles available in the community freelancer resources page to help you improve your profile and write winning proposals:

Enhance Your Freelancer Profile for Greater Success

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

How to Create a Profile Intro Video

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing

How to Create a More Successful Portfolio

A How-To Guide for Your Profile Picture

Hope this helps!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi Adeoluwa,

It may take a while to win a job, especially in competitive categories, and submitting proposals doesn't always guarantee that you will get hired or a chance to be interviewed, but you shouldn't give up on sending proposals to potential clients. Always make sure that your proposals are well written and that you are qualified for the job. You may want to check out the following articles available in the community freelancer resources page to help you improve your profile and write winning proposals:

Enhance Your Freelancer Profile for Greater Success

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

How to Create a Profile Intro Video

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing

How to Create a More Successful Portfolio

A How-To Guide for Your Profile Picture

Hope this helps!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much for your feedback Marie. I will surely implement what I learnt in the attached links.
petra_r
Community Member

Adeoluwa A wrote:

I thought I have a winning Profile, but now I am no longer sure of that. I have come to the point I have to admit to myself that I need expert opinions and advice from the experienced gurus and leaders of this community to guide and put me through. Tell me, What am I not doing right? Or what am I missing? Please, can someone check my profile to see if something is wrong? I have no iota of doubt that I will indeed get solutions in this great community.

First impressions:

• Why is there a watermark on your profile picture?
  • Why is there a disconnect between your profile name and you saying "My name is Samuel"? (Most clients would be hotfooting it out of your profile at this point...)
  • You then tell people to verify your published articles on an online journal (which you call "world-reknown"), and when doing so, the client finds a grand total of one from a couple of days ago, under yet another name. There you seem to have forgotten about the Masters degree that appears on your Upwork profile. The one article that does come up contains a bunch of mistakes... Clearly that journal lacks an editor.
  • The above is the grand total evidence of your "writing skills."
  • Client then sees your prepackaged projects. You hide your rates which always makes clients suspicious, so they check and find your one and only done job was for $ 7, which is in stark contrast to the prices of your pre-packaged projects.
  • Almost every paragraph of your profile starts with "I" - every writer knows should know that this is an absolute no-no.
  • The content of your overview is fairly standard braggy fluff, and you use words and phrases that don't read "natural" to native readers, "versed knowledge", "business prowess intertwined" and "advanced mastery" for example.
  • You promise clients content that does X,Y and Z, yet your own overview does none of those things.
  • your first portfolio item consists to 70% of a Churchill quote...
  • Your "business plan" proposes to start a company you claim to have worked at as some high-ranking executive for years. You call it "an Enterprise" yet that "Enterprise" doesn't even have a website, just a bare facebook page and a gmail email address. There are also plenty of mistakes in that "business plan". You and commas don't like each other very much it seems....

Overall, your profile raises more questions than it answers and does not instill trust in the client. It's too braggy, doesn't show anything to back up those claims, and raises red flags.

Personally I would start from scratch...

Be honest, keep it real.

kinector
Community Member

One more thing that seems to be missing is the mention of your clients. Better to specialize in certain types. Then you might be able to attract someone at least on one level that looks like a perfect match.

I really appreciate your advice, Mikko. I'm already taking the necessary steps to correct this anomaly.

Once again thank you.

Thank you so much for your frank review, Petra. Little did I know my mistakes/errors are costing me that much. I will take a holistic look at my profile and portfolios and do what is needed. Your criticism and advice will guide me to ensure I do a much better job. Thank you once again, Petra. Am grateful.

Thank you so much for your frank review, Petra. Little did I know my mistakes/errors are costing me that much. I will take a holistic look at my profile and portfolios and do what is needed. Your criticism and advice will guide me to ensure I do a much better job. Thank you once again, Petra. Am grateful.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths