Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The weirdest Upwork behavior

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 11

I don't know why Upwork decided that our work preference should turn into "Not Looking" after closing out a contract or winning a new one.

I always get mad every time I accidentally visit my account preferences to find out that Upwork's weird algorithm decided that I am "Not Looking" for work. I always wonder for how long has it been switched, and how many opportunities have I missed.

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
2 of 11

Wassim:

Upwork's advanced technology allows them to peer through your camera and determine if you are really working or not.

Depending on what you are doing, your status may be changed to "Working like a dog" "petting the dog" or as you discovered "Not Working".

I have placed a picture of a perfect me, slaving away over my camera so at all times I will be working, even if they say it is less than 30 hours a week.

creativedigit
Community Guru
3 of 11

Haha thanks for the tip Cheryl. I totally forgot about my webcam. It makes sense now. 

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
4 of 11

Where are you seeing this Wassim? I just closed a contract last night and my availability didn't change.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 11

Every now and then (and less and less since it's all dried up because of the new robots...) when I get a contract opened, I get an Upwork email reminder that I might want to reset my availability. When will they ever stop interfering, and instead let us do what they want us to do, which is being professional people and organising our own services??

creativedigit
Community Guru
6 of 11

Dawn, 

I don't know what's the concept behind this behavior. If Cheryl is right about her guess, then I think it has to do with all the dancing that occurred last week in front of my webcam.

I am trying to get rid of my belly fat. Someone thin like you won't understand Smiley Wink

454378596_d1.jpg

d_lidwell
Community Guru
7 of 11

If it's belly fat you're having a problem with, just send some to me! Maybe if I get your belly fat surgically implanted in me, my doctors will quit yelling at me to gain some weight!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 11

@Dawn L wrote:

If it's belly fat you're having a problem with, just send some to me! Maybe if I get your belly fat surgically implanted in me, my doctors will quit yelling at me to gain some weight!

I hate you sooooo much right now. -_- 

d_lidwell
Community Guru
9 of 11

Hahahahaha!

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 11

@Cheryl K wrote:

Wassim:

Upwork's advanced technology allows them to peer through your camera and determine if you are really working or not.

Depending on what you are doing, your status may be changed to "Working like a dog" "petting the dog" or as you discovered "Not Working".

I have placed a picture of a perfect me, slaving away over my camera so at all times I will be working, even if they say it is less than 30 hours a week.

I think dogma could have been working in there somewhere Cheryl...

oh and a common Canadian phrase about work, involving dogs and personal leisure time comes to mind... Smiley Wink 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS