🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Theft of images.
Page options
m_terrazas
Community Member

Theft of images.

I come to rant a little.
There are jobs in which the client wants an attached image to be redrawn in high resolution or vector. It's okay.

But when you open the image, and you see that it has a watermark and even a logo, what do you do?, I directly flag the job for image theft. And Upwork, what does it do?, NOTHING.
When you see that a designer accepts these jobs, I do the same. And again Upwork does the same, NOTHING.

I find many of these jobs. They do not always attach an image with a watermark, many times it can be screenshots. When I see any of these jobs, I always do a search for the image to see if it belongs to the client, and if I can't find it and submit a proposal, I usually ask about the property.

What already infuriates me completely is that you find profiles of freelancers who, even in their title offer "Watermark remove".

As an example, I flagged two jobs. In one it was a watermarked image, it was blatantly a logo template image. I looked it up and was able to reproduce the logo. I attached the web link as proof. The work was awarded, completed and paid for.
In the other, they attached a screenshot. A simple search led me to the original. The same as before.

Is Upwork allowing image theft?

12 REPLIES 12
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Maria,

I understand your frustration with this. Could you please share more details with me via PM about your reports so that I can double check them? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Maria,

I understand your frustration with this. Could you please share more details with me via PM about your reports so that I can double check them? Thank you.

I appreciate that you understand my frustration, but, if I have already flagged the jobs and freelancers and nothing has been done, what is the use of flagging them if later I have to send the information elsewhere?
Is doing free work twice.

Something funny, for not crying.
A flagged freelancer for offering to erase watermarks, clean photos and add watermarks and logos to them.
This....

Hi Maria,

Please note that we do need to take a closer look at the jobs/profiles you flagged, in order to confirm they have been reviewed and check the decision our team has made in each individual case. We need to cover all the basis since it is in our interest to confirm that each report has been processed correctly.

At it stands now, we have your report that violations you flag aren't being addressed, which does raise a concern with anyone who follows up on your post, an experienced and well-versed Upwork and Community user, that we aren't addressing user-generated reports, which I personally know is definitely not the case. This can result in some users not reporting the violation they might come across. For this reason as well as in respect of the time and effort you've put into reporting potential violations you mentioned, we do take your feedback seriously and make it a priority to investigate further and determine if correct procedures have been followed. To achieve this goal, we'd kindly ask you to provide examples of the jobs/profiles you reported and as always, we'll follow up with you directly with an update.

We understand that you might not agree with some of our team's decisions in regards to the outcome of their investigation into your reports but our priority is to ensure correct procedures have been followed and actions have been taken in case any violations have been identified.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Maria,

Please note that we do need to take a closer look at the jobs/profiles you flagged, in order to confirm they have been reviewed and check the decision our team has made in each individual case. We need to cover all the basis since it is in our interest to confirm that each report has been processed correctly.

At it stands now, we have your report that violations you flag aren't being addressed, which does raise a concern with anyone who follows up on your post, an experienced and well-versed Upwork and Community user, that we aren't addressing user-generated reports, which I personally know is definitely not the case. This can result in some users not reporting the violation they might come across. For this reason as well as in respect of the time and effort you've put into reporting potential violations you mentioned, we do take your feedback seriously and make it a priority to investigate further and determine if correct procedures have been followed. To achieve this goal, we'd kindly ask you to provide examples of the jobs/profiles you reported and as always, we'll follow up with you directly with an update.

We understand that you might not agree with some of our team's decisions in regards to the outcome of their investigation into your reports but our priority is to ensure correct procedures have been followed and actions have been taken in case any violations have been identified.

I already sent a PM to Goran.

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Maria,

Seriously? Upwork deletes violation report cases once they've been adjudicated? You have no paper trail on the prior reports you can call up for reexamination without requiring resubmission?

Hi Vladimir,

I'm here again. I keep finding both jobs and freelancers asking and offering "Watermark removal" for images and videos.
I have flagged 3 2 of each type. The firsts to appear when doing a simple search. But there was more, of the two.
And in case you ask me to send a PM, I already sent one to Goran with the search words I used.

Hi Maria,

Thanks for flagging potential TOS violations, we do appreciate the time and effort you're investing into flagging these.

We checked the reports you shared with Goran and can confirm our team reviewed them and took appropriate steps. We're not able to provide more details and understand that you might not agree with the decision or steps our team has taken following a detailed review of these reports.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Maria,

Thanks for flagging potential TOS violations, we do appreciate the time and effort you're investing into flagging these.

We checked the reports you shared with Goran and can confirm our team reviewed them and took appropriate steps. We're not able to provide more details and understand that you might not agree with the decision or steps our team has taken following a detailed review of these reports.

Thanks Vladimir.
But I was referring not so much to the links that I already sent, as to the fact that they continue to appear and you can find them with a quick search.
I already saw that have taken some action on some of the flagged.

And again to rant again.
In addition to the fact that I have continued to mark (sometimes up to 4 times) profiles that offer, have made and show in their portfolio "Watermark removal", I have sent CS links of the profiles and jobs that offer or request it (only of some), and still there.
And I keep asking the same, why is it allowed?

franks_tim
Community Member

To be honest, and I know I'm going to get some Upwork admin disagreeing with me, the Upwork platform seems to consistently drop the ball on many things. 

Whether it's a client ruining perfect profile scores because they're expecting free work, software glitches that make me miss messages, or, in your case, jobs that are ethically wrong (and dare I say, illegal), the platform doesn't seem to do much apart from reply on the forums.    

Timothy F wrote:

To be honest, and I know I'm going to get some Upwork admin disagreeing with me, the Upwork platform seems to consistently drop the ball on many things. 

Whether it's a client ruining perfect profile scores because they're expecting free work, software glitches that make me miss messages, or, in your case, jobs that are ethically wrong (and dare I say, illegal), the platform doesn't seem to do much apart from reply on the forums.    

I doubt they will disagree but will probably, at best, post back something toothless. I don't have a defense but I do believe they are fighting a lot of fires and there is only so many battles you can fight at once.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members