cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are no SEO writers!!!

robert_seal
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
1 of 20
/vent on If I read one more cover letter or profile that explains how a given writer is proficient in SEO article production, I may implode. I understand that at some point the market may have been flooded with keyword density dummies; furthermore, I understand that some SEO practitioners are not so adept at their jobs. What I cannot understand it why it is so difficult to understand that there is no such thing as SEO writing any longer (if there ever was). You can write an article for a search engine which is the way that I interpret "SEO writing", but why? Search engines do not share your material on social networks, comment on the article or subscribe to your feeds – people do. Spare me the density equals relevancy and therefore improved ranking among equally reputable peers on search engines, it simply isn’t true and hasn’t been for quite some time. Articles should always be written for people, every single time, in an attempt to engage and entertain or educate them. An article can set a tone that leads to a greater chance of visitor conversion, but this hardly means that keyword placement is a factor. My advice is this, for no more charge than potential pie donations (or throwing pending your view on it): When you write an article to post on your blog, write it for a person. What’s even more wise is to write it for your intended audience, based on their feedback in your or similar communities. People are generally much more outspoken about what they like and want on the Internet, you just need to find the right place to tap into those resources. When you identify the perfect subject for an article, make the content mind blowing. While producing five articles per week may have its value if they’re of any quality, one amazing article will make the last eight weeks of mass production look like a waste of time. Never underestimate the marketing potential that comes with community interaction. Guest comments, Facebook likes, Google+ shares and so on all carry measurable merit with them. Building a community that shares your content builds high quality organic links and increased avenues for incoming traffic. Be the industry leader and nothing less. The Internet means that the little guy (or gal) can compete with the big ones, you just need to be wise about the way you choose to do so. I have clients that you’ve never heard of that out-rank national brands. Why? Not large budgets or fast-paced marketing tactics but quality community building and brand establishment within the industry. With all of that said, what exactly does an SEO writer produce? /vent off
kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 20
Completely agree!
msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
3 of 20
as in 'self ego optimization' and those who are dubbin' themselves as 'SEO writer' are optimizing their clients' ego, that feel good factor through a bunch of keywords and other superficial stuff that don't matter much. It's the same thing with those promising x number of fans & followers no matter how these are bots/fake accounts bought in bulk. haiiizzzzz Smiley Happy
md_shoel_rana
md s Member Since: Feb 23, 2017
4 of 20

Thanks

coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 20
Unfortunately, job posts are full of requests for SEO writers. I guess these modern marketing geniuses haven't bothered to keep up with the times.
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
6 of 20
100% agree and have never been a fan of SEO, it's overrated. BUT what it has created if anything is a new market for so called "guru's" to teach these SEO cult followers new NINJA - TOP SECRET ways to generate leads, lmao. That in itself has become a ridiculous market, encapsulated within it's own bubble of people trying to sell each other crap. The problem is, people simply don;t know how to identify their ideal customer, where and how to reach them... and most importantly how to engage them. Old school spam & sell techniques has been on the way out for a very long time. people are tired of it and reverting back to the good ol' fashion hand shaking (even though we do it virtually these days). I've never bothered to get to involved with SEO, its never worked for the type of business I do, or clients I agree to work with. I was a very small part of a large team who built up zone.com, at it's peak with 120k online users. We didn't do it with SEO lol. We did it with good ol' fashion interaction. Want to sell a 10 page top secret ninja ebook about delicious hamster recipes? Then SEO it to death... but I promise you I could out-sell it using FB targeting alone. Not my style though, my services reach the deepest inner passions and therefor end up with clients and followers who feel bad they aren't paying enough and are more than happy to tell everyone they know about it. SEO writing is for selling crap that no one wants, or an instant boost in rankings that won't last long enough to make it worth while... unless you ARE selling snake oil and know it The only SEO I bother with is the basics. Ensuring the page is well coded, loads fast, linked to and back properly etc etc... but writing? NO.
slah04
Sanjib L Member Since: Dec 3, 2013
7 of 20
Hi Naomi I have just enrolled myself at oDesk and have also done some tests. I would be grateful if you can kindly go through my profile and advise me on improving on the same. Thanks Sanjib
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 20
There are at least 3 jobs on the front page of my job feed specifically asking for "SEO writing". If freelancers are mentioning it in their cover letters, it's because it's getting them jobs with other clients.
marvyjay
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
9 of 20
I am a novice to this SEO business and am curious. I just created a website and I want to outsource someone to do the SEO bit since some "expert" told me that its a pain and with my little experience in the field, I wont make it. Yet I noticed my site is ranked 3 in google search engine and I got 10,000 visitors last month. I did some backlinks and social bookmarking plus, wait for it, add keywords into most of my article. Are you telling me that its a waste of time to do that? If I choose to hire someone to get my site to first place, they must not use keywords in articles? Honestly, I am confused.
robert_seal
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
10 of 20
Allow me to preface this by saying that I have not seen your website and do not know the condition of your marketing. Thus, any advice below is generalized and not specific to you. [quote]I want to outsource someone to do the SEO bit since some "expert" told me that it’s a pain and with my little experience in the field, I won’t make it.[/quote] This "expert" should be immediately discredited for his or her own ignorance. Marketing is about having the right state of mind more than it is fancy tactics. Reaching a target audience is not the result of following a check-list of SEO tactics but instead, asking yourself the correction questions, doing the necessary research and developing solutions on a case-by-case basis. The fact that you rank 3rd and have 10,000 visitors doesn't really tell us anything, without knowing what you're ranking 3rd for and/or the conversions that resulted from that traffic. If you are not converting then you're not doing much more than wasting bandwidth or worse, potentially ruining your "first impressions" in terms of brand recognition. With that said, there is nothing that I can do that you cannot, other than see things from a different angle, think outside the box and bring a few years of experience in terms of what is more effective in some situations than others. Short of the experience, if you're capable of the former few then you probably don't need me. I would venture to say that the only time a business owner needs a full-time marketing consultant to do the marketing for them, is when they do not have the time or resources (employees) to do it themselves. Otherwise, you can be quite successful either doing the research on your own or hiring a consultant on an as-needed basis to fill in the gaps and keep you on the right path. [quote] If I choose to hire someone to get my site to first place, they must not use keywords in articles? [/quote] My original post was not intended to strike fear into anyone who uses keywords within their articles in the past or currently. My intention was to suggest that articles should not be written to cater to search engines, thus, they should not be solely focused on a single word or phrase. If a page of my website was dedicated to a service that I offer like "weaving hand baskets" then my blog would certainly contains posts related to that service. Best practices, how-to's, recent creations, etc. Within those articles there would undoubtedly be times wear some variation of "hand baskets" or "weaving hand baskets" might be said, not intentionally but as a result of the subject of the article. I would take advantage of those instances and link them to the corresponding page of my website as a reference point for more information. What I would end up with is a high quality article on basket weaving that was true to its subject; the very reason people landed on your page. It would engage and entertain or educate the visitor in such a way that they'd feel obligated to share via social media or link back to it from their own blog or website. The internal links exist as reference points only, which is why they are a result of happenstance and not intentional content manipulation. Most of the best marketers in my opinion are a result of being a business owner and wanting to improve their organic ranking. As a result of that desire, they've spent years studying, testing and applying different techniques to learn what works for them and what doesn't. When I am hired to evaluate a client’s website for the first time, I have a 100% blank agenda on what we'll be doing to improve their performance from the start; we're on equal footing but with experience and a marketing mind-set on my side. Want to weed out a lot of "SEO Experts" on oDesk? Before giving them your URL, ask them what they're going to do to improve your rankings and more importantly, your conversions. If they have a check-list, cross them off of yours. In fact, if they answer in a definitive way without seeing your website at all, I'd probably cross them off. You want the guy that has no idea what needs to be done until he can evaluate what's lacking and what isn't. My two cents...
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS