🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » There is a spammer sending me joining network...
Page options
danielmbcn
Community Member

There is a spammer sending me joining network proposals over and over

As the title says, there is a freelancer who is sending me proposals for joining his network almost every day. I always reject them, but he sistematically keeps sending them. I already contacted him to ask him to stop and I blocked him, but he stills keeps doing it.

Is there a way to report him? And most importantly, will the Upwork team take any action if I report him or will it be a waste of time?

Update: He just promised (for the second time) that he won't do it again. However, I'm leaving the post open in case I need to consult it in the future, as I'm not totally optimistic that he will keep his word.

5 REPLIES 5
8abdeab0
Community Member

Hi Daniel,

I have no answer for you, but today for the first time I received a request to join someone's network and it seemed very spammy to me. Perhaps it's the same person? What on earth do they have to gain from us joining their network? What is the harm in it? Other than perhaps being annoying. And, how can you block someone and they still be able to send you messages. That doesn't seem like Upwork has a handle on the whole blocking feature.

If this is the same person I will be having the same questions as you and would like to **bleep** this in the bud before it gets started. So, any answers to the question of ignoring, blocking, reporting, etc., that actually work would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Aaron:

Aaron H wrote:

today for the first time I received a request to join someone's network and it seemed very spammy to me. Perhaps it's the same person?

If it was the first time you received his request, I would say the probability of being the same person is low. I don't want to say his name for now, but if you are really curious to know whether they are the same person, I will just say that my spammer is from Pakistan.

Aaron H wrote:

And, how can you block someone and they still be able to send you messages.

We couldn't message each other while he was blocked. However, he could still send me invitations daily. Then I had to unblock him and ask him what the hell is he doing. 

Aaron H wrote:

If this is the same person I will be having the same questions as you and would like to **bleep** this in the bud before it gets started.

After the second time he promised me to stop spamming me, I asked him to block me and to do something to avoid sending me such invitations again. Since he blocked me (and at the moment of writing this he didn't send me another invitation), I believe he was honestly sorry. Unfortunately his good intentions don't seem to be aligned with his technical ability to filter already spammed freelancers. Let's see if this time he manages to work it out.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe Add to network option is a good feature to have the similar skills connected. It is not only about sharing the knowledge but also recommending the job to others freelancer in network in case you are not going to take it up. 

However if you are not looking to join the person network than it is fine. The person must not bother once you decline the request. I believe there must be a feature where you might not be able to send the network again once declined.

Sajal S wrote:

I believe there must be a feature where you might not be able to send the network again once declined.

Exactly.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Report them to Upwork. Yes, I know Support is busy with scammed freelancers and scammed clients, but if there is nothing we can do, there is no option. There is a simple fix. Give us a way to turn the dammed things off. I have started reporting the spammers, but someone else pops up.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members