cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's scamming, and then there's this.

ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
1 of 32

This isn't the first time I've seen this on here - a man who wants strangers to write character references in a custody battle or similar. The latest one is by a man who wants 'friends' from around the world to write references to the courts/child services to show he will, indeed, return his children to their home country after a visit to Africa (or somewhere, I can't remember the specifics).

This is wrong on so many levels! If he can't get real life people to write favourable references then surely there is a reason for that, and that could put the children in danger.

I've flagged the posting and hopefully it will be removed before he gets anyone to agree to help him. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 32

@Ailish D wrote:

The latest one is by a man who wants 'friends' from around the world to write references to the courts/child services to show he will, indeed, return his children to their home country...

That is seriously, SERIOUSLY frightening.

ailish_d
Community Leader
3 of 32

It really is! 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 32

Thanks for flagging this job Ailish. You can also pm me its link so I can check if our team reviewed and actioned the job yet.

Untitled
ailish_d
Community Leader
5 of 32

Just PMd you Vladimir, thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 32

Hi Ailish,

Thanks for the link. I checked the job post and found that the description and the request is a little different from the account you shared, and is in line with our ToS. Please check the job post again and let me know if you see their request from a different aspect.

Untitled

View solution in original post

ailish_d
Community Leader
7 of 32

Really?

You think I read it wrong? I read it as they want someone to write letters of recommendation for their friends to copy, to give to the family courts to show that they would return their children to the mother after a visit to Africa. My problem with it is this - if they have genuine friends who will recommend them, why are they not writing their own letters? Surely, if a father (or a mother, it works both ways) is of good character, they would have no problem with references. 

It's a genuine question - I'm possibly reading more into it than is there, in which case apologies but something about the post really worries me.

Maybe I'm being too quick off the mark, but when children are concerned...

Anyway, thanks for looking into it Vladimir. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 32

I think this is scary and when children are involved, posts of this nature should be investigated more carefully.

But leaving that particular moral problem aside, I thought it was against Upwork's ToS to write false reviews, and presumably false references. This surely amounts to fraud?

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
9 of 32

@Nichola L wrote:

I think this is scary and when children are involved, posts of this nature should be investigated more carefully.

But leaving that particular moral problem aside, I thought it was against Upwork's ToS to write false reviews, and presumably false references. This surely amounts to fraud?

I agree. I would see it as a false review because anyone hired for this obviously will not know the client personally, so how can they write letters for his friends to copy, with no personal knowledge if he will return his kids or not.  Seems like it's along the lines of fake reviews or references to me. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
ailish_d
Community Leader
10 of 32

I think the difference in understanding comes in because he is asking for people to write these letters of recommendation so that his friends can copy them - therefore they would loosely be described as genuine. Perhaps I am being overly cautious and his friends can't put a decent letter together, so he is asking for people to write the letters for them. But...and perhaps my imagination is working overtime here...to my mind there is nothing to stop these letters being used as they are and not from real life friends at all.

I hope that makes sense?

I'm not trying to go against Vladimir's decision here - he knows best on what constitutes breaking ToS, but I'm just uncomfortable with this. But it could be that's just because I'm a mother myself? Or I read too many sad stories in the papers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS