cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's scamming, and then there's this.

ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
11 of 32

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here - I've removed the client's name etc and copy/pasted the body of text. I'm really interested to see if I have totally misread the post.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ok, so the second part I have no problem with - research on why children will benefit from visiting their father's country, and why it is safe etc. But the letters aren't sitting right with me.

If I'm not allowed to post that here apologies and I'll remove it. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 32

I would have thought that among his friends "all over the world", there must be at least one who could do this for him rather than involving a complete stranger who has no knowledge whatsoeverof his background other than what he feeds them.

I would feel uncomfortable doing this too. There is not enough information. Also I should think this would not sit well with any court of law - i.e. that somebody was paid to write a reference of this kind. 

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 32

No way under he// should anyone take on this job.  It reeks of far too much to elaborate. I'd love to hear what any of legal folks would have to say.

Please report it!  That said, sadly, I'm quite sure Upwork will do absolutely nothing to remove it. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
14 of 32

It appears to possibly be fraud upon the court.  I certainly wouldn't touch it.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 32

@Mary W wrote:

It appears to possibly be fraud upon the court.  I certainly wouldn't touch it.

I agree with this, but I'm also a little puzzled because I'm not aware of any court (in the US, at least) that would accept letters in this situation. The ability to do just what this person appears to be attempting is too easy. In some circumstances, a court might accept affidavits (which would require the writer to appear before a notary and prove his/her identity, then sign in front of the notary), but in most cases this would be a situation for live testimony subject to cross examination.

ailish_d
Community Leader
16 of 32

Hi Wendy

I did report it, but as Vladimir says, it does not violate any ToS so it's allowed. 

ailish_d
Community Leader
17 of 32

Sorry Valeria, I did wonder if it was allowed, even though I removed the countries, names etc.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 32

Ailish and others,

We will have the job reviewed once again by the Marketplace Quality team. However, if the client is looking for a freelance writer to help with writing a text for recommendation letters based on research and real facts, it may not violate Upwork ToS. A lot of clients on Upwork hire professionals to write quality texts the clients couldn't produce themselves. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 32

@Valeria K wrote:

Ailish and others,

We will have the job reviewed once again by the Marketplace Quality team. However, if the client is looking for a freelance writer to help with writing a text for recommendation letters based on research and real facts, it may not violate Upwork ToS. A lot of clients on Upwork hire professionals to write quality texts the clients couldn't produce themselves. 

This is not an employment reference. It involves children, and nobody has any idea of the tensions between the parents of those children or the circumstances in which the father might not be considered trustworthy, and as this also involves court rulings, I do not think it is a suitable job posting anywhere.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
20 of 32

Actually, you don't even know if he is, in fact, the father....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS